Polo Gti Vs Range Rover Sport

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
clubdubpolo
New

Polo Gti Vs Range Rover Sport

Post by clubdubpolo »

So i was driving to Leicester this eveing, as i do twice a week, and i'd say 40% of the time since ive been visiting theres always someone around trying it on.
So tonight i was coming into Leicester towards Wigston, driving down Leicester road minding my own business when i slowed down to let an unassuming Range Rover turn in as i was approaching a red light. (For anyone in the know it is the 3rd set of traffic lights down from Mcdonalds Roundabout)
As the lights turned amber the chap glanced over and floored the Range Rover, i pulled off modestly and civilised and didn't think much to it apart from "he seems in a hurry"
As he tanked it down the street and up a 45 degree hill, a 1/4 mile the next set of lights changed to red, he stopped and i pulled up slowly next to him, he preceded to look over again, i imagine he thought boy racer (we all know thats not what the polo's about, im not in a corsa)
As we sat there at the lights, i had previously noted what Range Rover he was driving, a "RangeRover Sport HSE", now it was my mindset tonight to have a economical pleasent nights drive down the M1, but sat there i thought "f**k It", lets go for it! (Id done a few mods, :D 'full catback stainless exhaust system, port and polish, custom made intake) :? engine on 132k though.
The lights changed from green im still idling, to amber, i dumped the clutch and istantly raised the revs to 3.5k to 4k, clutch then off and gassed it to 6k, still in 1st gear it was level pegging, slammed it down to 2nd gear, and started noticeably pulling away, continued up to 5.5 to 6k then pushed into 3rd, even more distance now at about 70mph next set of lights turned, and i applied the brakes, outbraking him at the same time, (280m corrado discs) and we sat there.
Now it was on, he wasn't happy, he started to rev, i could here the hiss of the diesl turbo, black smoke (dirty!), well i thought to myself il have you one more time, lights changed as he floored it i miss timed my launch as i thought id be the more civlised driving and boot it from idle, oops. He got quite a head start, i floored it 1st, 2nd, and caught some serious ground, into 3rd and i had the pull on him, next set of lights i sat there infront, and pulled over as id proved my point or destroyed his however you might look at it, and let him go ahead.

Now the main reason i thought id share this is well frankly i was really chuffed and suprised about the encounter, heres my point:
Now lets have a look at the polo,

Now comparing the two theres not much in it, i obviously have a massive weight advantage, 1084Kg to his 2717Kg but he equally has a massive torque advantage, 152Nm, to 640Nm, and a power of 125Bhp to his 268bhp even considering my mods which i'd optimistically put at 10hp (135bhp ish)
Also there is driver competence to take into account, but what do you guys think?
Lets here it?
joe2612
Gold Member

Re: Polo Gti Vs Range Rover Sport

Post by joe2612 »

Interesting! No one has raced me in my GTi for years and years now.
clubdubpolo
New

Post by clubdubpolo »

I sense this upsets you, haha.
I'm from Derby and rarely have encounters, but they love it in leicester.
Did i mention the Range Rover bloke looked about 60!
Ben90
Silver Member
Drives: Olympian Blue Polo TDi Sport

Post by Ben90 »

That torque figure is fairly massive.

Given the fact it weighs more than a mountain means it actually has less than 100hp/ton, whereas you have about 125bhp/ton at your disposal :D

With drag races I think he had it easy with the auto box, all he had to do was plant his right foot down and sit there! you had a lot more work involved with the shifting

Good job, but keep an eye out for him, he's probably booked in for a remap now! :P