My high mileage GTI

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
Space
Getting There!

Re: My high mileage GTI

Post by Space »

Somewhere in August my car has it's yearly MOT test. Then it's also time to replace the belts, waterpump, tensioner etc. I thought that maybe it's also a good moment to freshen up the cylinder head. Is it much additional work?

I want to replace the rear brake calipers. They have been revised twice, but they keep getting stuck. I have done this before on a Porsche 944 and noticed that when removing the brake hose from the caliper it starts dripping brake fluid. I thought this would create a vacuum so the dripping would stop, but it didn't. I was wondering if that also happens on this car, so I will take measures catching the fluid and protect the chassis.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Its a huge amount of work to take the head off - cams have to removed amongst many other components

My advice would be if its running well, dont touch it. The block itself is fairly low maintenance

Do the belts tensioners and waterpump and a good engine flush and oil change :)

When replacing the calipers, use a brake hose clamp to compress the brake hose and stop it leaking out

In order to create a vacuum the traditional way, you have to put a plastic bag over the top of the master cylinder, then screw the lid back on
Space
Getting There!

Post by Space »

I can feel in the low RPMs it has lost some torque. May be leaky valves. I have no oil usage to speak of. It's no real drama and I have driven a car with bad head before for 40.000 miles without problem, only lack of torque and little hesitation now and then.

The problem I have with brake hose clamp is that it might damage the structural integrity without noticing. Maybe just be quick on changing it from one caliper to the new and clean the caliper before it kills the fresh red caliper paint :).
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Plastic bag over the master cylinder with the lid screwed over the top will work just as well :)

Using proper brake hose clamps its very hard to damage the hoses anyway
Space
Getting There!

Post by Space »

Thanks Alex. Will keep you posted. Perhaps put some pictures on here of the work and ofcourse the mysterious beige interior of the car :lol:
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Haha yes the mysterious beige interior :D
Space
Getting There!

Post by Space »

Is it easy to repair a rear brake caliper? I see there are repair sets available. I did porsche brakes before, but this is a different system. Handbrakes are different. How does that work on our GTIs?
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Not too difficult but theres a cranked spindle to remove due to the way the handbrakes work

My advice would be however to get a refurbed caliber. The handbrake mechanism is an ass to refit.
Space
Getting There!

Post by Space »

alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

I do indeed
Space
Getting There!

Post by Space »

Car is still leaking oil. Where could it leak? Seemed to be from the carter pan, but that one has a new seal.
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Have you had a good look underneath? Guessing the sump pan had a fluid gasket put on it as per spec
Space
Getting There!

Post by Space »

Yes that fluid gasket was replaced. Still find a 4 square inch oil spot every morning on the street. I wondered whereelse it could leak. Flywheel seal was dry and left in place.
TRiBaL
Bronze Member
Drives: 1.4 16V 6n2

Post by TRiBaL »

Space wrote:Yes that fluid gasket was replaced. Still find a 4 square inch oil spot every morning on the street. I wondered whereelse it could leak. Flywheel seal was dry and left in place.
Check your oil pressure sensor for leaks
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Plenty of places - rocker cover, oil filter, crankcase breather, oil cooler. Theres a few to start you with