Clutch problem - cable or something else ?

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
937carrera
Silver Member
Drives: 2000 Polo GTi

Re: Clutch problem - cable or something else ?

Post by 937carrera »

Hopefully final update:

I finished putting the box back in today - even deciding to put a new starter motor bush in place.

Everything was reassembled, no parts left over, clutch pedal light and smooth with no creaking, all gears immediately selectable.

As the car's SORN'd I decided to adjust the handbrake - dead easy with the seat removed, and have now moved onto replacing the timing belt as the history is a bit hazy, then probably time for a little service before taxing her at the end of the month. :)
937carrera
Silver Member

Post by 937carrera »

Unfortunately, that isn't the end of the story :(

I did all the other service jobs, gave her a beautiful clean and got her taxed for the start of the month. After 400m on the road I noticed that the clutch was slipping in the top two gears. Initially I though I may have the adjustment wrong so wound the adjuster off so that the biting point was near to the floor.

Another test drive yielded similar results, though not as severe. The car is driveable, though you cannot be too enthusiastic with her

The clutch has done less than 10,000 miles and I am sure that I took it off and inspected it before putting the gearbox back in after fitting the guide sleeve. Nonetheless, it does seem to be giving the early symptoms of clutch wear.

Before I drag the box back out again, is there anything further I should check or silly mistakes I could have made ?
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Pressure plate springs might have issues

You definitely put it back in the right way around didn't you
937carrera
Silver Member

Post by 937carrera »

alexperkins wrote:Pressure plate springs might have issues

You definitely put it back in the right way around didn't you
Hmm, I was ignoring the pressure plate potential problem because of the age of the clutch, but was thinking that I may have mounted the plate the wrong way round. I assume from your comment that is in fact possible ?
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

It's quite hard to fit it backwards albeit not impossible. It'll put more pressure on one side if fitted backwards

I would say you'll need to remove it again and check it all over
937carrera
Silver Member

Post by 937carrera »

Thanks Alex, I thought that was going to be the conclusion. Oh well, best get on with it, standby for further updates :roll:
937carrera
Silver Member

Post by 937carrera »

Today is the first day I have had chance to look at the clutch again. I have whipped the gearbox out (at least all the bolts were free) and removed the clutch.

The first picture shows the clutch plate as removed - I believe that it was in fact installed the correct way round. The second shows the friction surface of the diaphragm / pressure plate where you can clearly see signs of slippage - the brighter banding towards the inner edge of the drive surface shows up more clearly in daylight than in the picture.

At first sight everything seems "right", so some measuring and thinking to de done I think.

Last edited by 937carrera on Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
937carrera
Silver Member

Post by 937carrera »

4 months on and the clutch is still slipping.

I thoroughly inspected the clutch cover & plate, made sure the release bearing was retracting easliy and fully and put the clutch back in the car. The operation is smooth, biting point was in the right place and if driven gently doesn't show much of an issue. Start to push on and it slips fairly easily at low revs when the torque is highest.

Today I have removed the box again - it nearly jumps out by itself now, and was going to try the clutch that was in the car when I bought it (had to remove the engine, so replaced the clutch while the unit was out of the car just as a matter of routine) to see if that solved thr problem which would probably mean weak springs on the clutch cover.

Now I have looked at it the previous clutch cover does show some signs of slipping on the inner edge so am a little reluctant to put that back in.

Any further ideas, otherwise I suspect I'll be putting a new clutch in tomorrow, which I am reluctant to do as I cannot say I think I have actually identified the fault.

I seem to remember that LUK clutches are decent quality. Sachs is OEM, but doesn't appear to be available from EuroCarParts - thoughts ?
Last edited by 937carrera on Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
937carrera
Silver Member

Post by 937carrera »

alexperkins wrote:Pressure plate springs might have issues
Looks like you were correct Alex.

I sourced a LUK clutch and immediately noticed it was a different design

Fitted it and everything is as it should be. I don't like the "Kwik Fit" school of engineering, as I like to actually identify what has gone wrong. Had a few people inspect the parts and they couldn't see anything wrong either. I am still a little surprised that the cover plate failed after only 10,000 miles, but having looked at the invoice it appears that I bought the ECP "Transmech" brand. I remember thinking that the clutch I fitted was identical to the one being removed, so it was probably a decent one, but the purchase may heve been driven by stock availability. Expensive cheap part, only a couple of quid more for the better component today.

Here's what the new one looks like - more, thinner fingers, different pattern of friction material on the plate and the centre hub has a bearing/joint fitted allowing movement rather than being fixed to the plate

Last edited by 937carrera on Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Glad you got it sorted. Transmech at euro is like vtech at Gsf. Absolute crap quality that they shouldn't even sell