Help Please! smoke from car!

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
Hayden1470
New
Drives: Volkswagen Polo 2000 6N2 1.6 GTI

Re: Help Please! smoke from car!

Post by Hayden1470 »

Misfit wrote:Sorry to jump on your thread but I'm also having a similar problrm. I've been loosing alot of oil, I'm suspecting it is the oil breather that is leaking. No visible leaks on the floor but using alot of oil, I recently cleaned the crankcase breather out aswell I used brake cleaner and petrol!
I haven't noticed any smoke just using alot of oil, I need to order a hose to replace the bottom section of the breather hose before the heater because it gone soft.
I've been wondering if the newer style crankcase breather would fit.
I currently have this style fitted... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161977485392
It has a small inline heater in the middle of the breather hose and I have re routed the end of the breather to the 90' silicone hose so it doesn't pass through the cda air filter.

Im wondering If this would fit and if it would be better than the older design....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191917581428

Also there seems to be 2 different versions ....

036103464AD
036103464AC

Is the sensor on top of this style of crankcase breather also the crankcase heater? Can I ditch the inline one?

The one I have fitted at the moment is like...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112042227602
Except the element inside is black.

Sorry for all the questions I've been trying to get to the bottom of this the last few weeks. It's in a 2000 6n2 gti 1.6 16v arc.
My Crankcase breather was blocked to the max with mayo, even cleaning it out completely didnt really help a lot only a little. My engine is exactly the same code. im not sure the newer crankcase breather will fit however, have you tried googling it? If you are still using a lot of oil but no smoke at all then it must be leaking somewhere, it cant just disappear lol. Have you tried setting the breather and everything back normally since you had cleaned out the crankcase?
Misfit
New
Drives: 6n2 Gti 1.6 16v arc

Post by Misfit »

I got the car back on the road for my partner, it was using oil before changing the standard filter for a cda type. The standard filter I removed was soaked in oil and the breather pipe was collapsing.
Been trying to Google this problem for quite a while now, everyone seems to have very similar problems. I read about people putting mk2 golf crankcase breathers on but not the newer ones.
Need to do a compression test aswell just to make sure everything's ok.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

I would only use a crankcase breather designed for this engine personally
Lee6n2GTi
New
Drives: Polo 6n2 GTI

Post by Lee6n2GTi »

Agree with alex, having just changed the breather unit and the pipe to the air box for new oem units it has solved the oil consumption and oily filter/throttle body issue. I think replacement pcv units are the only way to solve the issue