Help Please! smoke from car!

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
Hayden1470
New
Drives: Volkswagen Polo 2000 6N2 1.6 GTI

Re: Help Please! smoke from car!

Post by Hayden1470 »

alexperkins wrote:I would top it up and drive it a bit more and see how quick it drops again

What oil are you using?
So just keep an eye on it? its not too bad once warmed up atm but still puffs a load out if i rev while idle, and if it was the pcv valve, how long would it take for it to all revery back to normal? i take it there would be crap still lingering in the engine/exhaust?

and oil im using is 10w40 semi synthetic
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

I would think a max of 500 miles to burn it all off

If its coated the cat converter itll take a while to clear

Monitor it for now and see if it settles down

Maybe run a can of engine flush through the system and do another oil/filter change to loosen any old crap up thats sitting in the block
Hayden1470
New

Post by Hayden1470 »

alexperkins wrote:I would think a max of 500 miles to burn it all off

If its coated the cat converter itll take a while to clear

Monitor it for now and see if it settles down

Maybe run a can of engine flush through the system and do another oil/filter change to loosen any old crap up thats sitting in the block
Thanks for all the help man i appreciate it! what engine flush would you recommend? i didnt think that stuff worked? and ok i havent done 500 miles yet so il keep an eye! thanks again!
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Wynns Engine Flush

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine ... esel-425ml

Can help loosen up sludge etc
Hayden1470
New

Post by Hayden1470 »

alexperkins wrote:Wynns Engine Flush

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine ... esel-425ml

Can help loosen up sludge etc
Could that not block stuff elsewhere? sorry for the 100 questions haha, also on a side note, i see you drive a mk2 golf gti? how are they to own man? they are one of my goal cars to own soon! do they require alot of maintenance?
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Ive used it many times without issue. Your problem cant get worse lol!

Yeah currently restoring it. Hopefully on the road in a couple of months. Had one before and they are a dream to own. Rust is the biggest issue. Engine wise its solid as a rock.
Hayden1470
New

Post by Hayden1470 »

alexperkins wrote:Ive used it many times without issue. Your problem cant get worse lol!

Yeah currently restoring it. Hopefully on the road in a couple of months. Had one before and they are a dream to own. Rust is the biggest issue. Engine wise its solid as a rock.
Yeah i suppose! lol! and ahh man you're making me jealous lol, is the engine stock? yeah i've heard rust is quite a big thing, how difficult is it to fix up the body and paint work?
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Yeah stock. No need to tweak it in my opinion. Nice classic daily driver.

Not too hard - depends how able you are. Parts are still readily available so makes life a bit easier.
Lee6n2GTi
New
Drives: Polo 6n2 GTI

Post by Lee6n2GTi »

Hi,

I have recently brought a polo 6n2 GTI that I am restoring front to back, and I have the same problem. the engine is fine, passes all tests (compression/leak), however after removing the crankcase breather that was blocked and cleaning it out. then replacing the hose breather hose that goes from the breather to the air box, my car has started blowing white smoke on acceleration. if it is idling it is clear, but open the throttle and white vapour comes out. it isnt using any oil or water/coolant. there is no sludge in the header tank or on the oil filler cap.It has also had an oil and filter change.

is there any update on your problem has it stopped? and ideas what is causing the problem?
Hayden1470
New

Post by Hayden1470 »

Lee6n2GTi wrote:Hi,

I have recently brought a polo 6n2 GTI that I am restoring front to back, and I have the same problem. the engine is fine, passes all tests (compression/leak), however after removing the crankcase breather that was blocked and cleaning it out. then replacing the hose breather hose that goes from the breather to the air box, my car has started blowing white smoke on acceleration. if it is idling it is clear, but open the throttle and white vapour comes out. it isnt using any oil or water/coolant. there is no sludge in the header tank or on the oil filler cap.It has also had an oil and filter change.

is there any update on your problem has it stopped? and ideas what is causing the problem?
Hey man,

Im getting a new engine for mine as ive found one local with only 50,000 miles on it so i havent spent the money to fix mine as it isnt worth it, pretty sure mine is due to valve seals or guides though but mine was losing alot of oil whereas yours isnt? Take a look inside your coolant and see if you have any oil mixed in with it, could be due to a blown head gasket if there is. When i get my new engine in im going to keep the one that has been smoking and strip it down myself and see what i find, il let you know in the future as it wont be too far away, but if yours isnt losing oil sounds like it could be a blown head gasket mate. Check that coolant! You can also take check your spark plugs and see if their is any oil gathering at the bottom of them, let us know what you find!
Hayden1470
New

Post by Hayden1470 »

Lee6n2GTi wrote:Hi,

Also when you drive it, get up to 60 in 5th gear, slowly brake down to 40 while keeping it in 5th then put your foot back onto the acceleration, mine used to puff out a big cloud of white/blue smoke when i did it, which led me and the few mechanics ive spoke to too be belive it could be valve seals or guides as mine passed a compression and leakdown test too.
Lee6n2GTi
New

Post by Lee6n2GTi »

Alright mate, thanks for replying.

Ive just spent an hour or so fault finding and im fairly sure ive found the problem.

As the car didnt smoke at all when i brought it 2 weeks ago and im in the process of restoring it (as per my other thread) it must have been some thing i have done so re traced my steps.

Ive replaced the crank case breather hose / heater assembly and took off the crank case breather to clean it out with some brake cleaner.

To cut a long story short i pulled the breather hose from the air box and with one rev of the engine the smoke has gone and stays gone as long as the breather hose is left disconnected. I can see vapour coming out of the breather hose but its not oil vapour. That can only leave residual brake cleaner in the breather itself. Im going to order one and replace that and hopefully thats job done for me.

As yours is blue i certainly think that its more sinister than mine im afraid.

Thought id let you know though incase its any help

And for what its worth ive just done another compression test from ice cold and got 190 - 190 - 185 - 195 all in psi cylinders 1 through 4 with 147k on it

Cheers
Lee
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Brake cleaner isn't the right spray to clean PCVs. You should be using a xylene based cleaner as brake cleaner can soften and damage rubber components. That might be part of the issue
Lee6n2GTi
New

Post by Lee6n2GTi »

Hi Alex, you are absolutely right, the brake cleaner was more a case of only having that to hand and me being impatient! Lesson learnt i guess. On the positive side it needed to be replaced anyway as it was causing an oil leak at the back of the engine before i removed it and its still weeping once i cleaned and refitted it so a new one is on order.

Hopefully that solves the problem once and for all :-)
Misfit
New
Drives: 6n2 Gti 1.6 16v arc

Post by Misfit »

Sorry to jump on your thread but I'm also having a similar problrm. I've been loosing alot of oil, I'm suspecting it is the oil breather that is leaking. No visible leaks on the floor but using alot of oil, I recently cleaned the crankcase breather out aswell I used brake cleaner and petrol!
I haven't noticed any smoke just using alot of oil, I need to order a hose to replace the bottom section of the breather hose before the heater because it gone soft.
I've been wondering if the newer style crankcase breather would fit.
I currently have this style fitted... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161977485392
It has a small inline heater in the middle of the breather hose and I have re routed the end of the breather to the 90' silicone hose so it doesn't pass through the cda air filter.

Im wondering If this would fit and if it would be better than the older design....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191917581428

Also there seems to be 2 different versions ....

036103464AD
036103464AC

Is the sensor on top of this style of crankcase breather also the crankcase heater? Can I ditch the inline one?

The one I have fitted at the moment is like...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112042227602
Except the element inside is black.

Sorry for all the questions I've been trying to get to the bottom of this the last few weeks. It's in a 2000 6n2 gti 1.6 16v arc.