Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
6N2GTI
New
Drives: Polo 6N2 GTI 16V, Leon 1P 2.0TFSI

6N2 GTI lower engine cover with K&N kit

Post by 6N2GTI »

Hi guys, good morning!

I would first introduce myself quickly as I'm new here :D
I'm Marvin, 24 years young, living in The Netherlands and owning a 2000 6N2 GTI as hobby car. My parents bought it new and my mum drove it for 16 years.

While I want to keep the car looking stock, I couldn't refuse installing a K&N Typhoon kit.

Now I'm looking to buy the under engine cover plate to cover the engine and the K&N filter a bit better. A K&N "sock" has already been purchased.
I found this one (Dutch website): https://www.winparts.nl/carrosserie-pla ... 28073.html

Please find below image made under the car, to show how the K&N is fitted:

Will there be sufficient space to mount the lower engine cover? Anybody experience with something similar?

Thank you in advance for your help!
Grts. Marvin
Aquavalver
Silver Member
Drives: 2013 Polo Blue GT

Re: 6N2 GTI lower engine cover with K&N kit

Post by Aquavalver »

Please see my lower post of 'Engine seized'. I had one of those K& N Typhoon induction kits which went down to he bottom of the wheel arch. I had the engine under tray with a hole cut for the filter to take the air in and my car was also standard height.

I would advice you not to use or, or at least make it the shorter version and have the shorter pipe along the side of the engine/cam cover with the filter at the front, then at least there is a far less chance of water being sucked up into the engine as what has happened to a few people that ran these induction kits
6N2GTI
New

Post by 6N2GTI »

Morning Aquavalver,

Wow that sucks for you mate :cry: Was your engine fixable?
Could you fit the engine under tray with CAI installed?
Maybe looking to use this as a solution. Already wrapped the filter cone in the K&N sleeve.

T.b.h. the car will only be used as 2nd (actually 3rd) car and I'm able to choose every morning which car I take to work. So I can keep an eye on the weather forecasts.

Did you drive trough a deep puddle of water ?
Aquavalver
Silver Member
Drives: 2013 Polo Blue GT

Post by Aquavalver »

6N2GTI wrote:Morning Aquavalver,

Wow that sucks for you mate :cry: Was your engine fixable?
Could you fit the engine under tray with CAI installed?
Maybe looking to use this as a solution. Already wrapped the filter cone in the K&N sleeve.

T.b.h. the car will only be used as 2nd (actually 3rd) car and I'm able to choose every morning which car I take to work. So I can keep an eye on the weather forecasts.

Did you drive trough a deep puddle of water ?
Engine is fixable, but new engine parts cost more than the value of the car without the labour! Another engine would end up being near to the value of the car, so decided to get another, but think I'm having the old one back.

I also found on motorways when it was raining hard it could also affect the car, so any car that is lowered also would feel the effects of water even more.

I was driving on a country road with some flooded areas and large puddles. I went slowly through one flooded bit, then went around a corner and some water splashed up into the wheel arch. Just after that some white smoke came out the back, then it was running a bit rough, then totally died.

Yes, you can fit the engine undergrad with the induction kit-as I mentioned, you just need to cut a whole out of the side engine under tray just by where the filter at the end of the induction kit sits
6N2GTI
New

Post by 6N2GTI »

Hi Aquavalver,

Tfoe again I feel for you mate..... That is one crappy situation.
Did you use the K&N sleeve for the filter unit?
I have this installed last week (not that it will be a 100% guarantee though), but it gives me some mental confidence.

As i wrote the car is the hobby car so I can keep the weather in mind and not use it when bad weather is forecasted.

But thank you very much for your advise regarding the under tray, I'll fit this somewhere in the coming weeks. Better safe (as possible) than sorry.

I wish you all the luck with your car and loss (yes, we all have a special place in our hearts for our car) and hope you'll be happily driving around rather today than tomorrow!
Thanks for your input and warning!!