Removing radiator 6N2 GTi "how to"

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
937carrera
Silver Member
Drives: 2000 Polo GTi

Removing radiator 6N2 GTi "how to"

Post by 937carrera »

I had a leaky radiator on one of my Polo's. It's not immediately obvious how to do the job, and more difficult with the air con radiator in the way, here's (briefly) how I did it as I couldn't find a "how to"

Drain the radiator from the bottom hose
Remove the indicator units
Remove the electrical connections to the fog lights
Remove the torx head screws holding the bumper in position, including the ones that were hidden by the indicators
Remove the bracket to the bonnet lock
Remove the bracket holding the pipe to the air con rad at the top of the plastic slam panel (to the right of the lock)

All the above is pretty much as Haynes, the next bit is different because you cannot pull the radiator up and out with the aircon pipe/rad in the way, so

Get more workroom by removing the bumper, this means removing the screws that hold the headlamp wash units to it, one allen head screw on the left hand side to allow some movement on another aircon pipe, then the 6 bolts holding the bumper in place.

The radiator will then come out to the bottom

It probably took me a couple of hours to remove, a fair bit of which was figuring out what to do. Time to source a new one.

Hope this helps someone :)
Last edited by 937carrera on Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
6n2stan
Silver Member
Drives: 6N2 GTI, Golf GTD + R32, T5.1 BiTDI DSG

Re: Removing radiator 6N2 GTi "how to"

Post by 6n2stan »

I've recently done the same job without a manual, I second the above process however, I undid the bottom aircon pipe P clip and pulled the aircon rad forward just enough to slide the rad down and out. You will need the car on ramps or axel stands to get clearance btw!

With reference to sourcing a new one, they are still available from TPS at around the £150 mark, I can't remember if that was with or without vat.

In the end I found out that a Mk3 VR6 Golf rad is exactly the same dimensionally. The hose connections, thermostat sensor and even the aircon rad fittings were identical! :D All that needed doing was to remove some bottom locating lugs off of the bottom which being plastic was a doddle. I can't remember how much it was but absolutely no where near £150! I've got £60 as a vague memory but not from TPS, it was a radiator company that sourced the valeo item.

Hope that helps
937carrera
Silver Member
Drives: 2000 Polo GTi

Post by 937carrera »

I got a new rad from Euro - they didn't have Valeo, which is what was on, so I got Hella, rather than the other names I hadn't heard of. It's listed at £84, but I got a discount off that. I've stopped trying TPS, my local one seems expensive and doesn't have any stock, I don't understand why.

From the packaging it looks like the rad fits Golfs as well, though you have to be careful when buying the rad for the Polo as there are different sizes depending on model.

Just need to fit it now, but the bumper removal has provided a good opportunity to remove the haze from my headlights and paint the VW badge. :)

Cheers !
6n2stan
Silver Member
Drives: 6N2 GTI, Golf GTD + R32, T5.1 BiTDI DSG

Post by 6n2stan »

It's also a good opportunity to clear the crap out that gets trapped between the engine rad and the aircon rad, the efficiency will be greatly improved!