Problems with headlights

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
Aquavalver
Silver Member
Drives: 2013 Polo Blue GT

Problems with headlights

Post by Aquavalver »

When driving again at night in country roads the other night, I found the headlight dipped beam was pretty awful. As I haven't driven at night and on unlit country roads for quite a while I had forgotten about it. When you can use main beam it's fine, but obviously you can't do that when something is coming the other way. The beam is bright for about 12ft, then hardly anything. It's so bad you can hardly see where you are going!

I went to a garage today to have them checked and they said that they are too low, but when they tried adjusting them, the adjusters did not work at all. Is something broken, can I buy replacement parts, or do I need another pair of headlights? Apart from that they are pretty mint and don't have any cloudiness or dull/yellow lens.

Thanks for any help!
Last edited by Aquavalver on Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Problems with headlights

Post by alexperkins »

The adjusters are very brittle on these. I’ll send a link to some replacement parts

The other possibility is that the rear axle level sensor has sexier or snapped and is stuck in its lowest position

I’ll call you tomorrow too like I promised lol albeit a week late 😂
6n2stan
Silver Member
Drives: 6N2 GTI, Golf GTD + R32, T5.1 BiTDI DSG

Post by 6n2stan »

Do the headlights look down and back up when you switch them on? The should move so if not, as Alex says it'll be the plastic ball joints inside the lamp that have come away from the lamp.
Aquavalver
Silver Member

Post by Aquavalver »

alexperkins wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:51 pm The adjusters are very brittle on these. I’ll send a link to some replacement parts

The other possibility is that the rear axle level sensor has sexier or snapped and is stuck in its lowest position

I’ll call you tomorrow too like I promised lol albeit a week late 😂
Thanks!
Aquavalver
Silver Member

Post by Aquavalver »

6n2stan wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:16 pm Do the headlights look down and back up when you switch them on? The should move so if not, as Alex says it'll be the plastic ball joints inside the lamp that have come away from the lamp.
Never noticed them moving
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Aquavalver
Silver Member

Post by Aquavalver »

alexperkins wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:08 pm https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volkswagen-P ... 0011.m1850 Here you go
Great! Thanks! Went to buy them and annoyingly the seller is on holiday so I can't! hopefully hey'll be back soon!