Many issues where to start

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
lesteague
New
Drives: Polo GTI 2000

Many issues where to start

Post by lesteague »

Hello,

New to the forum but had the 6N2 since November ‘17.

Love the car, brought it as a stop gap filler & finding it’s growing on me so looking to keep it going - although cost is a consideration.

Would truly like some advice on the following as I’m sure it can all be fixed (I’m mechanically minded & fairly capable).

1) on switch off occasionally there is a what feels like a mid-fire. Is this a known issue with the coil pack? I changed the plugs recently & found some oil on the plugs-seems this is a common issue with the rocker cover gasket, just not sure if this is the cause of the misfire feeling.

2) drivers window drops if you switch the head lights off before switching the engine off? It hasn’t done it for about a month but I think it’s because the fuse has blown.

3) Rocker cover gasket as mention in point 1. Is this a total pain to change. Looks like the component belt needs to come off as well as the cam belt.

4)Oil in the filter box. The mayo type. I’ve given it a could clean but I know something else is causing it. Suggestions on what clears this up on a 6n2 gti would be appreciated.

5) Suspension. The young chap I brought the car from dropped it about 30/40mm on the original struts. It’s killing the handling. I’m not fussed about height but would like decent handling. Ideally I’d like to go back to a standard setup.

6) light in the boot isn’t working. Changed the bulb, didn’t work. Checked the wiring which appears to be ok. Can’t see any indication the rear wiper sprayer has leaked. Bit of a mystery.

7) main interior light is working but doesn’t switch off automatically so having to turn on/off manually.

8) rear wiper jet not working. Checked the pipe work, think this could be related to the pipe work under the battery going to the passenger foot well. Save that job for a sunny day.

That’s it for now