Steering wheel shaking - advice/experience requested

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
6N2GTI
New
Drives: Polo 6N2 GTI 16V, Leon 1P 2.0TFSI

Steering wheel shaking - advice/experience requested

Post by 6N2GTI »

Good afternoon all,

I'm hoping to find some more info/experiences here regarding wheels on our lovely GTI's.
Last Saturday I have replaced all 4 tires with Michelin Pilot Sport 3, new alignment of the wheels and replaced the worn-out ARB connection rod rubbers with Powerflex (yellow/purple).

However, when I left the tyre shop and hitted highway, I found the steering wheel shaking quite heavily, from 120 km/h and up. I notice it will get less when pressing clutch but doesnt dissapear completely.

Called the company back today and they said me tires sometimes have to "bed" on the wheel and they advised me to drive for another 1000kms... which sounds a bit strange/uncommon to me.. Besides the shaking is bothering me like hell and I also can't believe its good for your car.
Before replacing the above parts, I let the car checked at the same company, to find any worn-out parts to service prior new tyres.

Many thanks for all the assistance!!
Cheers Marvin
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Steering wheel shaking - advice/experience requested

Post by RUM4MO »

If the car was okay before getting new tyres fitted, then I'd think that it is down to wheel balancing. Now if that car had that problem before getting new tyres fitted, and still had it after getting new tyres fitted, then I'd think that you would have to look elsewhere.

I wonder if one of the new weights have fallen off a front wheel?
6N2GTI
New

Post by 6N2GTI »

Hi RUM4MO,

Thanks for your reply.
It's a bit hard to say since old (front) tires were cupped and aligment was not well. So there was some "unbalance" in the car. Car also shaked heavily aroud top speed, but more through the whole car. But around 120 (kmh) it was OK.

Was just doubting the "bedding in period" for tyres, since never heard of it before, a mate who's a mechanic also told me this is b*llsh*t.

Well think will be going for another appointment probably this weekend. To be continued....
Bazzad88
Getting There!
Drives: 6n2 polo GTi

Post by Bazzad88 »

Yeah I'd start off by checking to see if any wheel weights have fallen off and then take it back for them to check everything
6N2GTI
New

Post by 6N2GTI »

Good afternoon guys,

Well went to the tyre company today. Rebalanced the wheels, there was some unbalance found. So happy took her home to test.
However...

The vibrations on the steering wheel remain. Very strange but on the heavy ness variates a bit from light vibrations to medium. Still at same speed mostly 120-140kmh.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas where to look further ?
Cheers!
6n2stan
Silver Member
Drives: 6N2 GTI, Golf GTD + R32, T5.1 BiTDI DSG

Post by 6n2stan »

If it’s not wheels you need to investigate whether you have a warped brake disc or a binding caliper. These problems would give vibration.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Bedding in tyres...thats a new one :lol:

Probably a damaged wheel bearing, dodgy CV joint, warped disk, binding caliper.
6N2GTI
New

Post by 6N2GTI »

Good morning Stan and Alex,

Thanks for your replies :)
Mechanic friend checked and found left front tyre have a slight more resistance than right. So going to give the calipers a refurb first.
See how that goes and will act further on that... Looking to refurb next weekend so will post any updates.
Any tips how to check the CV Joint? I know a couple of months ago a drive shaft cover was replaced.

Thanks guys and have a great weekend ahead.
6n2stan
Silver Member
Drives: 6N2 GTI, Golf GTD + R32, T5.1 BiTDI DSG

Post by 6n2stan »

It sounds like the caliper then, I had it with my Golf a month back.

Reference CV joint, put the steering on full lock and drive slowly in a circle then do the same on the opposite lock. If an outer joint has gone, you’ll hear it grind or knock, you may even feel it through the steering wheel.
6N2GTI
New

Post by 6N2GTI »

Hi guys and good morning.

Sorry for the slighter later update.
The weekend before I've overhauled the front calipers. Good work for the squeeking. However the vibrations still remain.
One thing my mechanic friend noticed was a slight movement on the caliper when mounted. Like the holes in the caliper carrier were a little emaciated.
I'll get the wheels checked on balance on more time. It this doesnt solve going to look to replace wishbones, CV joint, wheel hubs and wheel bearings. Getting sick of it a bit.

Thanks for all the replies guys.
Cheers Marvin