Oil and oil filter check

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
jamz0161
New
Drives: Polo 6N2 GTI

Oil and oil filter check

Post by jamz0161 »

Hi Lads, new 6N2 GTi (2000) owner here. First things first im going to be changing the oil and oil filter can i just confirm before i buy these that they are correct for my polo. Also if possible does anyone have a quick picture of where the oil filter is located, that will help alot.

https://www.vwmotorparts.com/service-it ... _uploads=0

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-VOLK ... SwNgNbeYcO

Thanks
6N2GTI
New
Drives: Polo 6N2 GTI 16V, Leon 1P 2.0TFSI

Re: Oil and oil filter check

Post by 6N2GTI »

Hi Jamz,

Congrats with the purchase of your 6N2 GTI !! Hope you may enjoy a lot of fun miles (am pretty sure you will :mrgreen: :mrgreen: )
Both your oil filter and oil itself are correct.
The oil filter usually is 92 mm in height. The Bosch part number is 0 451 103 318
The oil I personnally prefer (and what I believe/found on internet is the original oil) is 10W40. You need the "VW 505.00" spec.

Location of oil filter (this picture has the same view as if you're standing in front of the car):

Just right to the dynamo.
It's very easy to reach from below the car.
Do not forget to change the ring on the oil sump bolt.

Good luck!
Cheers Marvin
jamz0161
New

Post by jamz0161 »

Cheers Marvin! Pleasure to be a owner of this amazing car. There are a couple niggles including the infamous electric window issues. Thanks for info that helped alot. Specifically what 10W40 oil do you use mate?
6N2GTI
New
Drives: Polo 6N2 GTI 16V, Leon 1P 2.0TFSI

Post by 6N2GTI »

No worries mate! Sorry for the late reply the online life isn’t as it once was..
Yeah slightly older cars just have their little bits and things. Keeps me off the street :mrgreen:

Just bought oil myself the other day and went for the Shell Helix HX7 10w40. It’s a blue can.
jamz0161
New

Post by jamz0161 »

6N2GTI wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:59 pm No worries mate! Sorry for the late reply the online life isn’t as it once was..
Yeah slightly older cars just have their little bits and things. Keeps me off the street :mrgreen:

Just bought oil myself the other day and went for the Shell Helix HX7 10w40. It’s a blue can.
Cheers mate. I appreciate the help.
jamz0161
New

Post by jamz0161 »

Hi, can someone please advise me how to remove the engine under tray so i can change the oil please?

Thanks
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Youll need to be up on axle stands or a ramp

Theres two screws at the back of the undertray and push fit clips inside the wheel arches that snap rather easily. After the screws are removed it just pulls down from the back towards the front of the car

Its easier to use a suction oil changer on these to save having to drop the undertray, though removing the filter is difficult due to VWs design on these.
jamz0161
New

Post by jamz0161 »

alexperkins wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:54 pm Youll need to be up on axle stands or a ramp

Theres two screws at the back of the undertray and push fit clips inside the wheel arches that snap rather easily. After the screws are removed it just pulls down from the back towards the front of the car

Its easier to use a suction oil changer on these to save having to drop the undertray, though removing the filter is difficult due to VWs design on these.
Okay thanks alot Alex a oil suction change seems like a good way to go. If i manage to remove the undertray, would you recommend keeping the it off?
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

No, you’ll want to keep the undertray on. It stops the engine getting filthy and improves airflow
Turbo Tony
New
Drives: 2001 6N2 GTi

Post by Turbo Tony »

Hi all,

First-time poster here.

I want to do an oil change on my nephew's Polo GTi. I have an oil extractor but the tube is too thick to go down the dipstick hole. Is there another orifice I should be using?! To anyone who has done an oil extractor/suction oil change, how have you done it?

Cheers,

Tony
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

A dipstick extractor will work in these - I used one myself. I’d suggest getting a different one

Otherwise it’s under tray off and sump drain plug out to drain the oil the traditional way
Turbo Tony
New

Post by Turbo Tony »

Thanks for the quick reply. Aw shucks, it sounds like I might have to do it the painful way.

My extractor has three different sized tubes and even the slimmest one won't fit through the plastic dipstick holder. I can push it in a few inches but there's no way it'll ever reach the sump. Does the plastic dipstick holder come out to reveal a wider hole below?

Talking of sumps, if I do have to do it conventionally, is the sump plug a hex or an allen bolt on these cars?
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

That’s strange. I user a laser one and have had no issues - it fits well. On these though, it won’t go all the way down. You can actually use it with it just pushed in with the filler cap removed as it’ll work on the vacuum

17 or 19mm hex so just a normal spanner will do
Turbo Tony
New

Post by Turbo Tony »

Brilliant, thanks.

I was tempted to try it in the oil filler and you've just confirmed it's at least worth a shot. Anything that saves me getting down and dirty is a blessing!
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Nono, don’t use the filler. Remove the filler cap with the hose down the dipstick

Filler goes straight into the head and you could easily damage its contents as there’s no straight route to the sump