Confused.... ABS light on + Handbrake light flashing (no beeping)

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
Hayden1470
New
Drives: Volkswagen Polo 2000 6N2 1.6 GTI

Confused.... ABS light on + Handbrake light flashing (no beeping)

Post by Hayden1470 »

Been searching into what could be the cause but no luck whatsoever..... so far i have:

-Bled the brakes
-Replaced Passenger side rear bearing as needed doing
-Replaced the ABS pump control module
-Replaced Both Front ABS sensors (needed doing anyway as came up on scan)
-Checked, Cleaned and tried different fuses on top of battery (all fine)
-Checked Brake Fluid Level
-Cleaned connections to control module, break fluid reservoir etc etc etc....

This is going to sound stupid but sometimes when it rains both light disappear for a while and, when pressing my break pedal, it would feel like abs is kicking in before both lights went off or came on. Even in sunny weather sometimes the handbrake light disappears for 5 mins so its just ABS light on. Though 90% of the time both lights are on. Could it be that there is just some dirt/grime or something disturbing a sensor somewhere? i cant seem to find anything though. I also have no scanning tool to use as borrowed on before.

Also the brakes are still slightly spongy after bleeding, could it also be an option that the ABS Pump unit has air trapped inside and this is causing it? and if so would i need to buy something like VAGCOM so i could bleed the pump? Was thinking of buying one of the things listed below to use, but not sure the cheaper one will support the full version of VCDS or bleeding the pump even though it states it does? i currently have version 18.2 of VCDS on my laptop but no longer have a lead i borrowed.

Was wondering if it could also be a rear sensor causing them both to come on as i cant scan to see atm and dont fancy spending £30 on sensors i dont need.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VCDS-VAG-COM ... SweVNbaDff

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VCDS-VAG-COM ... SwKqlbiALS

Any suggestions will be appreciated, loosing the will to fix it at the moment, any suggestions on scanning leads/tools will be appreciated too.

Many Thanks
dipstr
Getting There!
Drives: 6n2 gti

Re: Confused.... ABS light on + Handbrake light flashing (no beeping)

Post by dipstr »

Do you remember what the fault codes where on the abs control unit

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Confused.... ABS light on + Handbrake light flashing (no beeping)

Post by alexperkins »

You must use VCDS to bleed the brakes on these if you want to be sure there is no air in the system.