Hub Nut

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
smithysmoo
Bronze Member

Hub Nut

Post by smithysmoo »

So I replaced a cv joint with an aftermarket part from GSF and the hub nut is only 6 sided..Should I get a 12 point one from the main stealer and change or is the 6 sided one ok?? Any ideas I tried to search but couldn't find an answer and I'm unsure.

Cheers

Smithy
Bazzad88
Getting There!
Drives: 6n2 polo GTi

Re: Hub Nut

Post by Bazzad88 »

Guessing you can't use your old one then?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

smithysmoo
Bronze Member

Post by smithysmoo »

Hub nuts should be replaced with new each time so I've read...
937carrera
Silver Member
Drives: 2000 Polo GTi

Post by 937carrera »

They "should", but they can also be reused, I have without issue. More important is to use a torque wrench.

6 points or 12points on the outer face of the hub nut makes no difference to it's function. There''s less chance or rounding with a 6 sided.
Bazzad88
Getting There!
Drives: 6n2 polo GTi

Post by Bazzad88 »

I re used mine

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

smithysmoo
Bronze Member

Post by smithysmoo »

Cool I'll be ok with the six sided one then...Yes I torqued as per the haynes 50nm then 45 degrees.. Just wandering why VW chose 12 point nuts then...I heard that because there are more faces theres less chance of rounding with a 12 side than a 6 side hence me wandering whether to get a 12 point one ordered up for when I need to get it off in the future.
937carrera
Silver Member
Drives: 2000 Polo GTi

Post by 937carrera »

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/sho ... p?t=242556

Yeah, 12 point can be used for higher torque, it's why rear CV bolts went to 12 point from hex, I was more thinking about getting rusty bolts off with 12 point sockets, which is where more rounding occurs...... and is the reason why I use 6 sided sockets.

Of course you need the quality socket to go with the fitting :)
smithysmoo
Bronze Member

Post by smithysmoo »

Interesting reading that link thanks...:)
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Don't all these 12 sided hub nuts, well for the front hubs, not have 2 spring steel locking tangs that normally break when you remove the nuts?

I've always replaced that kind of nut even if its locking tangs have not broken off completely, maybe, I've forgotten, the rear 12 sided hub nuts have a nylon locking insert, ie NyLok - which means again they should get renewed if removed.

Without reading that linked article, I'd guess that the original reason for moving to 12 sided from 6 sided has a lot more to do with automated assembly at initial build - or even just to simplify assembly at initial build, product designers don't really bother too much about what happens later down the line, although in some cases like pipe fixings, the service replacement part will always come with fitted with a retaining system that better suits the workshop environment as opposed to the retaining system fitted to the assembly line version.
smithysmoo
Bronze Member

Post by smithysmoo »

Yes mate it says they should be renewed and the new joint came with a new nut. I've read similar about it not locking like it should if using original as something is damaged on removal and doesn't have the same locking characteristics.

Not sure if it was for easy assembly or not...My thinking is you can apply more torque to a 12 sided nut with a 12 sided socket but then they aren't super tight anyway. Although removal takes a big bar or impact wrench. That was really my worry is if my 12 sided socket would struggle on removal of the 6 sided nut if needed and hence I could change it now while its new. Although I'm guessing if I get a 6 sided socket if needed I would cover all bases aswell.