Considering Polo 2018 (DSG SE)

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
MasterRich
New
Drives: None yet

Considering Polo 2018 (DSG SE)

Post by MasterRich »

Hey guys,

So back in 1999/2000 I drove my moms Golf MK2, great little car, loved it. So after 16 years or so, my wife and I decided to either get a Polo 18 plate DSG or new Ibiza FR DSG. I was torn between the two but I put an order down for the Ibiza. My wife's manager has the new Polo and loves it and cannot say anything bad about it.

A couple of people yesterday responded to a Ibiza owner who got his car 6 months ago, listed a range of really bad issues. Ranging from rust on the roof, wobbly windows, bonnet not closing properly, gaps around the lights which caused them to get damp from water, engine running on when switching off, paint breaking off etc. A lot of angry members also mentioned some of their issues and how the SEAT dealer was blaming the customer for every issue.

I too am now worried that my car will end up with a heap of problems and I am thinking of jumping ship to get a Polo before it arrives at the dealer and I sign the PCP paper work. I can get one in a weeks time in red with a few extras and the alloy wheels I wanted if I was getting a new one. Better than waiting 8 months for a brand new one :)

Can anyone here give me their honest views and if I should stick to my guns or does anyone know or heard of issues with the Ibiza's as of late? Your feedback will help me a lot, especially if there are some issues with these new Ibiza's. I can safely say it's not worth the risk and get a Polo instead. Few people are work told me to go for a Polo due to residual value and it will hold its own for ages even though it has the same stuff as Ibiza underneath.

Cheers

Rich
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Considering Polo 2018 (DSG SE)

Post by alexperkins »

Polo will certainly hold its value better than the ibiza. Personally id probably go for the polo
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

Isn't the new Ibiza made in the same factory as the new Polo? Just a guess but that is the case for the Up, Citigo and Mii. I would assume the differences are largely cosmetic, maybe slight tuning difference to suspension and other bits.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Looks like the new Ibiza is manufactured at Seat’s Spanish plant in Martorell;

http://www.seat.com/corporate/news/cars ... arona.html
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

SRGTD wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:44 am Looks like the new Ibiza is manufactured at Seat’s Spanish plant in Martorell;

http://www.seat.com/corporate/news/cars ... arona.html
In which case there may well be differences in quality control and hence reliability. The reviews I've read say the new Polo rides better (more smoothly) than the new Ibiza but the Ibiza is better to drive. Also I think the plastics in the Polo are a bit better. It was the harder ride and ugly looks that turned me off the Ibiza, but most journalists think the Ibiza looks better.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Personally, of the two cars, I'd say that the Ibiza wins hands down on looks, and tends to get equipped to suit a slightly younger owner/driver - and that includes always having a better choice of body colours.

My wife would have chosen an Ibiza over a Polo if I had allowed her to, I said that she was too old for an Ibiza - Leon maybe, but not Ibiza, so when she went to order that car back in 2015, the only body colour that we could agree on was silver, which was exactly the same issue we had when we ordered her a Polo back in 2002 - ie a very limited colour choice.

I also think that the latest Ibiza looks miles better than the previous one, well especially the 5 door version of the previous one,

Plastics used to be shocking in Ibizas, when my daughter bought a used 6K Ibiza in 2004, its interior plastics were grey, but mainly showing black as the outer coating had rubbed/peeled off and not probably due too rough use!

My daughter currently runs a late 2009 Ibiza SC 1.4 86PS, which still looks as good as new inside, so SEAT have improved things.

One thing to consider is, an Ibiza will normally have less sound proofing and be slightly lighter than the nearest Polo trim wise, and the suspension could be slightly firmer and the wheels maybe a size up from the nearest trim level Polo.

I'd expect if ending up with major quality issues with a new Ibiza, it would be a case of money back and no nonsense, no sorting up, as the saying goes - "you can't polish a turd" ?

Another thing, SEAT do tend to start to fit "sports seats" from quite far down the trim range - I prefer the seats in my daughter's late 2009 Ibiza SC with SE trim to the seats in my wife's August 2015 Polo with SEL trim - why oh why did VW think that they could get away with using the same seat trim on SE and SEL versions of the 6C Polo - I hope they have sorted that out on the latest version!

Edit:- one other thing in SEAT's favour is, as SEAT residuals drop like a brick, maybe consider a nearly new, latest version of Ibiza?
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

As in all things: "yer likes what yer like, don't like what yer dont" then "yer pays yer money and makes yer choice". My, admittedly limited, experience of Seat & VW is I had a Seat Leon Mk2 and was quite happy with it save for the lowish gearing. It wasn't as refined as a then Mk6 Golf, though drove very well, but was quite a bit cheaper. When it came time to change cars, the new Seat Leon Mk3 was available and also wasn't as nice as a Golf, now Mk7, IMO but it really wasn't much cheaper, literally £100 or so over 4 years Personal Contract Payment - which I ended after 3 years anyway as I do get bored (!). Now I'm in my current Mk7 Golf, my 3rd Golf overall. So what I'm kinda getting at is you can get probs with any make of car and you should INSIST the dealer sorts it, or else (legal action, though threatending to stop payment often has a quicker outcome). Dunno the prices of Ibiza / Polo but if the OP really (realy) likes the Seat Ibiza, then go for it, chances are it will be perfectly fine. Same applies to a Polo, which I personally prefer but then it isn't up to me.
Hope this helps, good luck....
Last edited by stevereeves on Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MasterRich
New

Post by MasterRich »

Thanks guys for your input, the mistake I one was, yes I liked how the Ibiza handles and most of all how it looks and that is why I went for it. The Polo does hold better and 5 people (3 work mates, 2 who own a Polo and Golf, my wife's manager who has the new Polo and my dad who used to be a car mechanic) All have told me the same thing and said to ditch your Ibiza order and go with the Polo. I'll need to think before choosing the car to go for, maybe it's wrong of me to choose a car based on looks. I have to get over that and get a car, overall that will hold up well.
MasterRich
New

Post by MasterRich »

So I decided to get a Polo SE DSG in Limestone Grey + 15" Seyne black diamond turned alloy wheels :-) Can get one pretty much get one now, waiting for dealer to get back to me tomorrow!

Colour looks so sexy :mrgreen: 8)
Attachments
VW.png
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Post by AndyGTi »

Hi MasterRich

Sounds pretty good if you can get hold of a Polo SE dsg. I think it would be a good choice over the Ibiza.

Just wanted to say that the car you attached doesn’t have 15” Seyne wheels but 17” Bonneville wheels.

Hopefully it was the colour which you were showing but I just wanted to mention it won’t have those wheels.

Limestone grey definitely a good colour but I’m really taken with Reef Blue.

Thanks

Andy
MasterRich
New

Post by MasterRich »

Yea it was just the colour :) The flash red was just too much on the eyes I think even though I like red, it just didn't do the Polo justice. The car is already in the UK I just have to wait for the dealer to contact the site where it is to give me the price and go from there.

New Polo SE 1.0 TSI 95PS 7-speed DSG
5 Door Limestone Grey Metallic PJD
(Alloy wheels 15" 'Seyne' Black)
W1H (Convenience Pack) 7X2 (Parking sensors, front and rear) 9S0 (Active info display)
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Very good, poor Uncle Arnie - how have you managed to cut loose from them, I thought that once you have crossed their door that was that?
MasterRich
New

Post by MasterRich »

Filled out the order form and that is it, still waiting for it to arrive at dealer I'll lose £500 deposit if I cancel.