Polo's everywhere!

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Re: Polo's everywhere!

Post by Leif »

Yes, an indicator is simply a flashing light, and I believe if you crash into another car when pulling out of a junction because you assumed an oncoming vehicle indicating left would turn left, and they didn’t, you are still liable. For one thing, they might have been going to park at the road side after the junction. Or they might be a wingnut.

What annoys me is that few road users use indicators correctly. They should indicate before turning, to aid other road users, allowing them to adjust their speed and distance. But most start indicating during the turn, which is almost pointless.

Have we started an indicator argument now?
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Leif wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:00 am Yes, an indicator is simply a flashing light, and I believe if you crash into another car when pulling out of a junction because you assumed an oncoming vehicle indicating left would turn left, and they didn’t, you are still liable. For one thing, they might have been going to park at the road side after the junction. Or they might be a wingnut.

What annoys me is that few road users use indicators correctly. They should indicate before turning, to aid other road users, allowing them to adjust their speed and distance. But most start indicating during the turn, which is almost pointless.

Ha ha, no Leif, I don’t think anyone’s started an indicator argument. IMO there is no argument to support incorrect, or non-use of indicators.

When I was learning to drive (many, many years ago - when petrol cost 75p a gallon and driving lessons were £3 for an hour’s tuition!), my driving instructor taught me to always consider all other road users to be idiots* and not to assume their use or non-use of indicators was a indication (no pun intended) of their intention to take a particular route or course of action. It was a valuable lesson, and something I always remember, and it taught me the value of anticipating the actions of other road users and never to assume anything. It also taught me the importance of the correct use of indicators.

* no offence intended to other forum members!
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

Back on topic.

I have just necked my 115hp DSG car, in a week to 10 days I should be able to report the pre 1500km summer consumption on one tank.

I will then do a second on "post 1500km summer", then one winter in December sometime.

Be interesting if a few others with other engine ratings and gear boxes did the same.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

SRGTD wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:29 am
Leif wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:00 am Yes, an indicator is simply a flashing light, and I believe if you crash into another car when pulling out of a junction because you assumed an oncoming vehicle indicating left would turn left, and they didn’t, you are still liable. For one thing, they might have been going to park at the road side after the junction. Or they might be a wingnut.

Ha ha, no Leif, I don’t think anyone’s started an indicator argument. IMO there is no argument to support incorrect, or non-use of indicators.

When I was learning to drive (many, many years ago - when petrol cost 75p a gallon and driving lessons were £3 for an hour’s tuition!), my driving instructor taught me to always consider all other road users to be idiots* and not to assume their use or non-use of indicators was a indication (no pun intended) of their intention to take a particular route or course of action. It was a valuable lesson, and something I always remember, and it taught me the value of anticipating the actions of other road users and never to assume anything. It also taught me the importance of the correct use of indicators.

I have to be honest I do indicate about 99% of the time, there are occasions when for self preservation that I don't. for example if I am rounding a bend and I want the next left (about 100yrd in front and there is a car waiting to turn right), I know if I indicate that car if its a Audi, BMW, or a sorts car or boy racer old fiesta lowered and screwed (I mean soooopppped) up will, in all probability try to cut me up. On this occasion I dont indicate and try to hold a car line that informs that driver I am going straight on. Then with about 10yds to go I will indicate, too late for even an Audi driver to cut me up. Look im not saying its right but its my experience driving a Nissan note that people just assume your an old duffer and will poodle along at the speed limit, so quit rightly they will do almost anything to not be behind you. on these occasions, I call indicating late self preservation.

And indicating rules do change, I was always taught by my instructor to indicate right when entering and going around a round-a-bout until you wish to exit then indicate left. I got so angry that in the last 5 years or so some other drivers were just not bothering to do this. One day in the post I get a invite to a safe driving course (speeding again allegedly) and on that course they said drivers are specifically taught not to indicate right when entering and while on a round-a-bout. So indicating rules do change and NO ONE whatever they say, is perfect. We have all no matter what the excuse, at some point not indicated when turning...and yes anyone that has driven for 10, 20 ,30 or more years, no matter what the excuse, will have exceeded the maximum permitted speed limit more than once in that time and anyone who says they have not is just simply kidding themselves, not us.
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

mike sel wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:51 am Back on topic.

I have just necked my 115hp DSG car, in a week to 10 days I should be able to report the pre 1500km summer consumption on one tank.

I will then do a second on "post 1500km summer", then one winter in December sometime.

Be interesting if a few others with other engine ratings and gear boxes did the same.
It took me ages to figure out what the hell you meant by ‘necked’. I think you mean filled to the brim?
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

mike sel wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:12 am

I have to be honest I do indicate about 99% of the time, there are occasions when for self preservation that I don't. for example if I am rounding a bend and I want the next left (about 100yrd in front and there is a car waiting to turn right), I know if I indicate that car if its a Audi, BMW, or a sorts car or boy racer old fiesta lowered and screwed (I mean soooopppped) up will, in all probability try to cut me up. On this occasion I dont indicate and try to hold a car line that informs that driver I am going straight on. Then with about 10yds to go I will indicate, too late for even an Audi driver to cut me up. Look im not saying its right but its my experience driving a Nissan note that people just assume your an old duffer and will poodle along at the speed limit, so quit rightly they will do almost anything to not be behind you. on these occasions, I call indicating late self preservation.

And indicating rules do change, I was always taught by my instructor to indicate right when entering and going around a round-a-bout until you wish to exit then indicate left. I got so angry that in the last 5 years or so some other drivers were just not bothering to do this. One day in the post I get a invite to a safe driving course (speeding again allegedly) and on that course they said drivers are specifically taught not to indicate right when entering and while on a round-a-bout. So indicating rules do change and NO ONE whatever they say, is perfect. We have all no matter what the excuse, at some point not indicated when turning...and yes anyone that has driven for 10, 20 ,30 or more years, no matter what the excuse, will have exceeded the maximum permitted speed limit more than once in that time and anyone who says they have not is just simply kidding themselves, not us.
The IAM - Institute of (old duffers who teach) Advanced Driving - teach you to indicate when it helps other road users, and not otherwise. Thus if the road is empty, don’t indicate. If on a motorway you overtake, there’s often no need to indicate left when you pull back in, depending on what is behind you. If you don’t know what is behind you, then you are not using your mirrors.

I hate it when I am going round a two lane roundabout, on the inside lane (2), and a car in front in lane 1 indicates right. I have no idea if this is someone who will soon indicate left and turn off, or a moron in the wrong lane who will carry on round the roundabout. The latter is dangerous. An example is someone who enters a two lane roundabout in lane one, then drives round 270 degrees before exiting ie they used the roundabout to turn right. Hence I never overtake these people, and it forces me to drive slowly, so as to avoid a potential crash. I didn’t realise until recently that this used to be considered correct use of indicators.

Do we now have an indicator argument? Oh, go on. :mrgreen:
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

"One day in the post I get a invite to a safe driving course (speeding again allegedly)" me too, was that or fine & points on licence: 34 in a '30' quiet road where you next to never see another soul. The police officer went on and on that we should not speed at all, never, ever. I asked what one should do in a line of traffic, single lane road where everyone is going faster than the limit. He replied we should slow down or stop and let all the traffic pass, even if there is miles of it and nowhere to turn off or safely stop, before continuing. He was so adamant about the evils of speeding that peeps stopped asking questions. Am I a perfect driver, probably not, but been driving cars & bikes 20 or so years no accidents or convictions. Ok speed limits are there for a reason but, without getting on my speed kills high horse, the main cause of accidents is vehicles hitting things, not including the idiots who must pass traffic at very high speed just to cut people off or turn off immediately at the very next exit. Whilst not within the law speeding doesn't actually hurt anyone as long you don't have a collision or cause an accident. .....
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

Ooh, a speeding argument, my favourite. :D

Yeah, speeding can kill when it is excessive, but dangerous driving kills, which includes driving at excessive speed for the conditions, but within the speed limit.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

Leif wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:36 am
mike sel wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:12 am

The IAM - Institute of (old duffers who teach) Advanced Driving - teach you to indicate when it helps other road users, and not otherwise. Thus if the road is empty, don’t indicate. If on a motorway you overtake, there’s often no need to indicate left when you pull back in, depending on what is behind you. If you don’t know what is behind you, then you are not using your mirrors.

I hate it when I am going round a two lane roundabout, on the inside lane (2), and a car in front in lane 1 indicates right. I have no idea if this is someone who will soon indicate left and turn off, or a moron in the wrong lane who will carry on round the roundabout. The latter is dangerous. An example is someone who enters a two lane roundabout in lane one, then drives round 270 degrees before exiting ie they used the roundabout to turn right. Hence I never overtake these people, and it forces me to drive slowly, so as to avoid a potential crash. I didn’t realise until recently that this used to be considered correct use of indicators.

Do we now have an indicator argument? Oh, go on. :mrgreen:
Leif, Its tempting but no I cant argue over something so futile. All I will say that usually winds people up is that the Highway Code is just an ACOP and not a set of laws or rules to be obeyed. A CODE OF PRACTICE that is all. We all have rules and laws that we generally get punished for breaking, but an ACOP is not enforceable. IF you have a crash and have been driving against the highway code (ACOP) then the police will frown up you and it may make a conviction easier to obtain IF they can prove you were not driving to best practice and were the cause of a death or accident causing injury or loss of property. Should give you something to argue about.
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

Sorry Mike, I’m afraid I’m not going to argue. :D I sometimes avoid indicating when I should, for example when being tailgated and about to move left, as indicating would encourage the twerp behind me to get even closer.

Now what was the thread about, ah yes, Polos. I saw a couple today including a silver one like mine which is unusual. I do think the Polo should sell well as it has much more internal space than any other car in its class, apart from lookee likees from Seat, Skoda and Audi of course. It is so comfortable with a feeling of quality inside.
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

mike sel wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:56 pm
Leif, Its tempting but no I cant argue over something so futile. All I will say that usually winds people up is that the Highway Code is just an ACOP and not a set of laws or rules to be obeyed. A CODE OF PRACTICE that is all. We all have rules and laws that we generally get punished for breaking, but an ACOP is not enforceable. IF you have a crash and have been driving against the highway code (ACOP) then the police will frown up you and it may make a conviction easier to obtain IF they can prove you were not driving to best practice and were the cause of a death or accident causing injury or loss of property. Should give you something to argue about.
I’m not sure how your post relates to mine. I will add that the roundabout where I nearly crashed has lane markings indicating that lanes 1 and 2 can be used to go straight across, and lane 2 can be used to turn right. I’ve never understood how someone can think it okay to use lane 1 to turn right, or even go completely round. Still, having a crash whilst being in the right is not good. I was taught to assume that other road users are idiots and to drive defensively, so making no assumptions about what they might do.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

Leif wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:49 am
I’m not sure how your post relates to mine. I will add that the roundabout where I nearly crashed has lane markings indicating that lanes 1 and 2 can be used to go straight across, and lane 2 can be used to turn right. I’ve never understood how someone can think it okay to use lane 1 to turn right, or even go completely round. Still, having a crash whilst being in the right is not good. I was taught to assume that other road users are idiots and to drive defensively, so making no assumptions about what they might do.
It only relates in that its in the highway code to indicate before changing lane or manoeuvring. it is no rule just a code of practice. Im not sure if its even in the Audi drivers Highway code, I think they get issued an Audi version when they collect their car.
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

mike sel wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:04 pm
Leif wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:49 am
It only relates in that its in the highway code to indicate before changing lane or manoeuvring. it is no rule just a code of practice. Im not sure if its even in the Audi drivers Highway code, I think they get issued an Audi version when they collect their car.
On an Audi indicators are an optional extra. I believe most drivers choose not to get them whilst some order them in the belief that they are for use at Christmas.

But seriously, yes you are right the HC states that you should indicate. I think the IAM rational is that when you indicate, you should understand why, and what you aim to achieve. Thus some people start indicating left, or right, after they start turning, which is almost pointless. But it is common. The IAM do teach a few things that are contentious. Examples are moving over the central markings (when legal) to improve forward visibility on a bend, and straightening out bends. The IAM teach an awful lot of good stuff. I’m sure I have avoided some accidents as a result of their lessons. They improved my car control, not a bad thing. I have never worn through a clutch, and brakes last me ages. Incidentally I am making no claims of being a good driver, but I’m better than before Itook lessons. Oops, I’m rambling. :shock: