New GTI + delivery

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
PoloGIT+
Getting There!
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI+

Re: New GTI + delivery

Post by PoloGIT+ »

PilotRoss91 wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:54 pm
PoloGIT+ wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:56 pm
PilotRoss91 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:13 pm

That seems like a hell of a long time just to wait for a build date confirmation! :( What sort of options did you go for?
In fairness I went with a huge spec, pretty much everything, except the smoker's pack and parking assist - I was told when placing the order that the panoramic sunroof could cause a delay, I'm wondering if that's what they're tooling up for at the South African plant as I haven't yet seen any RHD models with it. Fingers crossed for a build date soon, would be nice to have a car by Christmas!
That doesn’t bode well for me then :o I’ve ticked all the boxes bar smokers pack, park assist and voice activation too...
Snap! I didn’t go for voice either, not convinced they work yet... Our cars will almost be twins, save for the fact I went with Limestone Grey not Blue 😄
PoloGIT+
Getting There!

Post by PoloGIT+ »

stevereeves wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:22 am
allye wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:43 am I've kind of resigned to the fact that the car will not arrive until 2019 but at least if they gave me a build date it would be something to aim for.
I have this feeling that I'm not going to get even a notification of a date till nearer the end of the year (if that!!). It will be a year in January since ordering.
Freaking ridiculous, I'm sure the new Polo is good but not that good to wait a full year for one. I'd have a a serious chat with the dealer whilst taking a long close look at a Golf (similar in spec and price to a Polo) and discuss a favourable & healthy discount package....
I will - once my car is en route I’ll have a good chat with my dealer... Have heart set on the Polo, looked at the Golf but very long in the tooth now, plus still a more expensive (overall) proposition (please let’s not start again on Polo vs Golf 😄)
PoloGIT+
Getting There!

Post by PoloGIT+ »

stevereeves wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:44 pm Sad thing is VW will lose sales of a car which sounds like it'll be great. Many posters here will hold out for a Polo, and why not I'm not gonna knock it, but not the folk who say "I'm not that bothered really as long as it has, say, climate control, city brake, self park, sat nav & is blue/red/slver, etc" will 'happily' just get something more readilty availble like a Fiesta, Ibiza or Corsa. Cos they are not too bothered and there is something to be said for that attitude as these days you will still easily get a good new car with minimum stress. But - such folk will miss out on a very good car, a Polo, due to lack of availability and 'gotta be some kind of joke but it isn't' delivery times. So what, who cares ? Well speaking as MK5 Golf owner of 3 1/2 years, Mk7 Golf driver of 5 1/2 years and counting and sometime passenger in a Polo (previous 2017 model, 1.2 Auto) when riding in another brand (other than Audi, BMW, VW etc) you certainly realise how pleasant one's own car is in comparison. I initially ended up in a Golf MK5 as, ironically, at that time (2008ish) I needed a car asap (as in yesterday) and VW were able to supply quicker than anyone else in my area 8) . Corsas, Ibizas & Fiestas, etc are perfectly fine though you tend to get what you pay for, but for a quiet comfortable place to be after a busy, stressful & possibly difficult day and carrying passengers, at this price point (circa £19-£20k) it's difficult to beat a VW, IMO. No, I don't sell VWs though I could - if the cars were available :roll: ....
Well said! 😀
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

PoloGIT+ wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:36 pm
PoloGIT+ wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:56 pm

In fairness I went with a huge spec, pretty much everything, except the smoker's pack and parking assist - I was told when placing the order that the panoramic sunroof could cause a delay, I'm wondering if that's what they're tooling up for at the South African plant as I haven't yet seen any RHD models with it. Fingers crossed for a build date soon, would be nice to have a car by Christmas!
That doesn’t bode well for me then :o I’ve ticked all the boxes bar smokers pack, park assist and voice activation too...
Snap! I didn’t go for voice either, not convinced they work yet... Our cars will almost be twins, save for the fact I went with Limestone Grey not Blue 😄
The good thing about voice is that if you decide to go for it at a later date, it can be unlocked with an activation code. It’s around £200 to do this iirc
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

barrywi wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:10 am Not got mine, it must be in the dock😪
Perhaps we all got our 5C notification to say the cars were ready to ship and mine/Cadwest's made it on the next Grimsby bound ship as per our dealerships being served by that port. Perhaps yours is served by Tyne? It looks northerly enough to be served by Tyne (adjacent to the lower reaches of Teesside/ extreme North of North Yorkshire).

Might be worth seeing when the next Emden to Tyne ship is due in?

Tyne VW delivery from Emden is usually served by the City of Rome/Paris/Rotterdam ships.
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Post by barrywi »

Actualy the longer it takes the better chance I have of putting pressure on the dealer/ VW for some sort of compensation even though it has been said they are not going to compensate Gti models. They did say it could be ready by May so what about some compensation for a massive delay, plus no headlamp washers. My man at the dealers is on my side, I will see him tomorrow.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Been to the dealer who told me my car is on a ship to the UK at Newcastle, not Grimsby as I Originally thought.
Confirmed that no headlamp washers or heated washer squirters and that VW will compensate by charging around £60 for the winter pack instead of over £200. The current £1000 contribution towards PCP deposit does not apply to any Gtis as I did think of taking it up and then cancelling which is allowed. My dealers build date for the garages order for the Polo Gti keeps getting put back after his order in January. Currently he has been told it will be the end of October build date which takes arrival at the garage into 2019 unless there are more delays.
He has had no success yet in trying to get compensation for not being able to register my car after Sept 1st, VW are being very uncooperative but says he will keep sending emails on my behalf. If I cancel the order the dealer will gratefully take it and be able to sell it straight away so that is no option.
I believe Volvo have done all their WLTP tests so have no problems, BMW are building no cars at all yet so it is confusing times at the dealers.
Fingers crossed our car actually gets here.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

barrywi wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:59 pm Actualy the longer it takes the better chance I have of putting pressure on the dealer/ VW for some sort of compensation even though it has been said they are not going to compensate Gti models. They did say it could be ready by May so what about some compensation for a massive delay, plus no headlamp washers. My man at the dealers is on my side, I will see him tomorrow.
I think that the best chance you have of renegotiating a better beal is if the car literally turns up on the 13th/14th of August. That seems highly unlikely unless the car gets a bump on the way here (which in itself is a highly unlikely event) and needs remedial work (it does happen, I recently found out that a wheel on my Golf R owned from new had indeed been previously refurbished, and could've only happened without my knowledge pre-delivery).

Most likely yours is about to get on a ship to Tyne, or you narrowly missed the Grimsby ship and will catch the next one.

From what my dealer told me, there's no "free" money coming via VWUK incentive for GTI variants, it will come from the dealers margin if you threaten to pull out and they'd rather give you £xxx extra than see it become second hand stock when it needs to be registered by the 15th. Will they call your bluff? How sure are they that they'll sell it as used stock for more than you're supposed to get it for?

I do think it's a poor show of VW to make you pay for their lack of adherence to the WLTP schedule and not compensate, but as you can see, they make a desireable product and know they can treat their customers shabbily and still sell cars.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

I agree with all the points mentioned above.
I am reluctant to have a go at the dealer as they have paid for an mot on my trade in UP and told me not to bother with servicing it( we do low miles) or worry about the fact that the front tyres are close to illegal. They said they would have to change them anyway to sell the car.
The salesman , who I have known for many years, has been firing emails at VW continually on my behalf and still holds out that something may be achieved when the car is in their hands financially.
I feel after so many weeks of following the progress of the car, the last thing I want to do is cancel as I would have to start all over again chhosing a car, seeing if I could actually get it before 2019 etc.
I suppose VW nationally know this and the fact that the car is in short supply means it should hold its value especially if the 2019 model has another price rise on top of this years.
I have offered to bring the car to the dealers for potential customers to see, but not ride or drive , for some consideration to me, but if they cannot even order a car, how can they persuade someone to buy with such a long lead time?
No indication yet of the car arriving in the UK but the " City of Rotterdam" has docked in Newcastle so maybe when VW wake up they can let me know. Andy at the dealers is going to keep an eye on it arriving and prioritise delivery.
PoloGIT+
Getting There!

Post by PoloGIT+ »

roywolfey wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:51 pm

The good thing about voice is that if you decide to go for it at a later date, it can be unlocked with an activation code. It’s around £200 to do this iirc
Good to know, thanks! :D
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

PoloGIT+ wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:13 pm
roywolfey wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:51 pm

Good to know, thanks! :D
Does it need an official VW activation code and an exchange of £200 with a dealer?

I wonder if it can be activated gratis with VAGCOM or OBDELEVEN? There are many functions in the past that have been paid for options which can be unlocked for free :-

When I had a Scirocco back in 2009, XDS could be activated, even though it was a £280 option. Similarly with the wife's A1, I activated hill hold (£60) and reverse dipping passenger wing mirror. There were a few tweaks done on my Golf R too.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

barrywi wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:09 pm I agree with all the points mentioned above.
I am reluctant to have a go at the dealer as they have paid for an mot on my trade in UP and told me not to bother with servicing it( we do low miles) or worry about the fact that the front tyres are close to illegal. They said they would have to change them anyway to sell the car.
The salesman , who I have known for many years, has been firing emails at VW continually on my behalf and still holds out that something may be achieved when the car is in their hands financially.
I feel after so many weeks of following the progress of the car, the last thing I want to do is cancel as I would have to start all over again chhosing a car, seeing if I could actually get it before 2019 etc.
I suppose VW nationally know this and the fact that the car is in short supply means it should hold its value especially if the 2019 model has another price rise on top of this years.
I have offered to bring the car to the dealers for potential customers to see, but not ride or drive , for some consideration to me, but if they cannot even order a car, how can they persuade someone to buy with such a long lead time?
No indication yet of the car arriving in the UK but the " City of Rotterdam" has docked in Newcastle so maybe when VW wake up they can let me know. Andy at the dealers is going to keep an eye on it arriving and prioritise delivery.
If the City of Rotterdam brought it to the UK today, you may get a stage 6 notification tomorrow morning. Another thing in the dealership/VW's favour is that since you ordered, prices have gone up. They can sell it for more or make it look like it's in deeper discount by comparing to current RRP. By that logic, I now have a £2994 discount for mine.

I've had 2 previous wrangles with VW UK, they have been useless each time:

1. Woefully poor repair on a 2 week old Golf 170TDI GT Sport (MK5)that Benfield bodyshop in Newcastle did, which was poor in bodywork finish (paintwork about 1/3 of the thickness it should've been, causing wheel arch to rust up every few weeks), left the interior deeply contaminated (metal shards from cutting in a rear quarter panel and oily handprints all over the seats and headlining), things went missing from the boot (an expensive coat and a few other things) and left the car dangerous to drive (seized and unsecured/loose rear offside brake caliper) - and they took 7 weeks to do the initial repair after all parts required were available from 10 days. 3 remedial works later and the car was not right still - VWUK refused to sanction paying for an alternative repairer, their guarantee of satisfaction and vetting for "VW approved repairer" status isn't worth the sticker in the repairer's window. They offered to strongarm the bodyshop into offering a free valet at a time of my choosing - like I want a valet from the people who left the car in such a filthy interior state.

2. My Golf R taking 8.5 months. No one told me that Pretoria wheels would cause such a delay, I saw other Golf Rs without coming through at 3 months. VWUK never officially admitted why the delay, but i'm sure it was the Pretoria wheels, the only option I took. Again, VWUK strong-armed the dealership into surprising me with a free Lifeshine treatment and maintenance bag. They take no responsibility themselves - they just bully the dealership into offering something out of their own pocket for VWUK/VW GmbH's failings.

I'd stick with it now if I were you, the end is nigh.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

The end is nigh sounds like a quote from Dads Army...we are all doomed Mr Mannering!
I hope to wake up in the morning to a gentle chime from my ipad to tell me I have mail from the delightful VW telling me the Eagle has Landed. One tiny step from VW, one giant leap in my happiness.
Yes will stick with it and hopefully forget about all the months of turmoil leading up to ownership as time goes by.
MattHGR
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI+

Post by MattHGR »

I've just ordered my GTI+ in reef blue.
Hoping the car gets to me before the new year but it may not at this point.
Ordered it 2 days ago so I'm still waiting for my order number.
Should be given that this week [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-N9500 using Tapatalk

PilotRoss91
New
Drives: '14 Fiesta ST - Polo GTI+ On Order

Post by PilotRoss91 »

PoloGIT+ wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:36 pm Snap! I didn’t go for voice either, not convinced they work yet... Our cars will almost be twins, save for the fact I went with Limestone Grey not Blue 😄
I actually just changed my order to Limestone today after seeing some photos of one! :D