Tiredness indicator

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Tiredness indicator

Post by barrywi »

I have had the warning come on a few times, mainly late in the evening, after about an hour at the wheel.
How does it work or is it just measuring that I am tired of waiting for VW UK to let me know officially that my Polo needs a rear seat belt modification?
I used my initiative and went to the dealer who swiftly did the mod.
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Re: Tiredness indicator

Post by johnpolo2 »

barrywi wrote:I have had the warning come on a few times, mainly late in the evening, after about an hour at the wheel.
How does it work or is it just measuring that I am tired of waiting for VW UK to let me know officially that my Polo needs a rear seat belt modification?
I used my initiative and went to the dealer who swiftly did the mod.
A tiredness indicator comes with all new orders.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Post by Adam_013 »

It's takes information from your pedal and steering inputs on a longer drive and compares them to your inputs at the start of your journey. If it notices that you are making sharper inputs (getting close to the white line and quickly moving over) it'll flash up at ya.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

I did not see the second warning I must have been asleep, it was the beep that woke me up. :D
The car is now officially cleverer than me, though not as clever as the Duke of Edinburgh who does not need seatbelts because he is of much higher status than me and owns the police.😴
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

I almost crased once because I was very tired while driving from work ... no warning at all :D
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Of course that fits in the policy of VW UK. If you are dead you cannot complain about it not working and if you survive you may, or may not get a letter warning that you were about to fall asleep six months later.
Glad you are still with us. :D
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

These 'features' man... :roll:
They cost heaps to develop, they fill up the brochure, then they're crap. :D
My wife's Sportage has lane assist.
It's quite creepy how well it works, you can take your hands off the wheel and it will keep you on track really well.
But, obviously, it can sense you're not touching the wheel and it will give audible and visible warnings.
It begs the question, though....what's the point??
If I'm actively touching the wheel, why would I need asisstance to keep the car in a lane??? :?
It's not like it's a heavy steering car, a finger-light touch is all that's needed on a motorway.

Anyone???
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Very useful for 95% of the population who do not know how to drive sensibly , open a car door in a supermarket without hitting the next door car or have forgotten what the inside lane on a motorway is for. :D
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Mind you, lane assist gives you enough time to send a text before you've to touch the wheel again.

:wink:
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Or check your lipstick....obviously not you!
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

barrywi wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:05 pm Or check your lipstick....obviously not you!
I refuse to be defined to any single gender.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Too many driving aids on modern cars - I only use Cruise when in average speed camera zones.

If I were using cruise on a long distance drive over a number of hours driving, i'd feel that I had so little to do with the drive, i'd be at risk of falling asleep at the wheel. I'll retain as much control as I can while driving.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Beg to differ as the active cruise on the Polo Gti works very well and is one of my favourite bits on the car. It can be overriden or turned off very quickly and in stop/ start traffic works very well.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

barrywi wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:49 pm Beg to differ as the active cruise on the Polo Gti works very well and is one of my favourite bits on the car. It can be overriden or turned off very quickly and in stop/ start traffic works very well.
It works well - my point is that I feel a bit redundant as a driver with it on, to the point that it makes me feel drowsy if on for long periods - I like to feel engaged when I'm driving, rather than barely more than a passenger with a steering wheel in my hand.

DSG + ACC + NAV + lane assist (which I don't have) and you almost have a self driving car. If it could negotiate roundabouts itself and recognise/react to traffic signals, it would be.

Clever stuff, but ultimately dull to drive if you let the car do 2/3 of the driving for you.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

I find the exact opposite with cruise, I find it makes me more attentive to what's going on around me, compared with constantly looking at a speedo and having to adjust speed.
Active cruise is a step too far, tried it and REALLY don't like it.