What MPG are owners getting in the real world?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: What MPG are owners getting in the real world?

Post by monkeyhanger »

jackois wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:31 pm New record for nerve! Pulled onto the forecourt this morning indicating 15 miles range...

However, managed to get it to take 41 litres when it reckons to have a 40 litre tank (approx) to the pump click.

458 miles covered since previous fill at an average of 52mpg
15 miles left and you got 41L in the car? Sounds like the gauge on the pump is over reading I've gotten 40.3L in taking it 7 miles past zero, on a second click after frothing died down. No more than that.
Gueron
New
Drives: Polo 1.0tsi 95hp

Post by Gueron »

Tank capacity
I fill up when only down to a quarter left, to avoid the running out of petrol risk. I calculate the expected tank capacity based on kilometers to go before empty, actual fuel consumption (distance from last fill, and kilometers driven), plus petrol added. So far I reckon around 44 to 44.5 litre capacity based on this method. I also regularly check the sum of distance driven plus distance to go to see whether that is consistent when my average consumption per trip is also fairly constant, which is the case. This is coherent with my average fuel consumption and the expected total distance that could be driven to empty. This gives me confidence in my estimated tank capacity. I have done this on previous cars, notably my 2 golfs (last cars), and over many refills (50 000kms) I got a fairly consistent number for tank capacity. Of course during a refill you are never sure how topped up you are... I do drive about 100 miles (160 km) from topped-up before the petrol guage starts to move (at typically >60mpg).
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I'm 5 miles past zero this morning and 2 miles from the petrol station (Costco) I'll be visiting on the way home tonight to fill up. I'll see what my fill is tonight.

You will never know your true capacity until you actually run out and then fill up to the brim. 0 miles indicated isn't completely dry, I'd expect at least another 20 miles beyond 0 miles before your car splutters to a stop.

You can't rely on indicated range in your calculations because it varies and gets more pessimistic the closer to empty you get, unless your mpg improves markedly.

Been averaging 36mpg on this tank full, I get 1/3 of a tank left and the car says I have 100 mile range. I continue to average 36mpg but only get 85 miles on before the car says 0 miles range. Seen this in plenty of my previous VWs with MFD.
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

South Wales to Bristol this afternoon. Got 50mpg.

I feel like it's improving the more miles on the car.
atlanta98
New
Drives: 2018 GTI

Post by atlanta98 »

Did my first road trip in 2018 Polo GTI today, only had car for a couple of weeks driving around local urban area.

Indicated Details are
Total Distance 189 Km (see below)
Fuel Consumption 5.5 L/100 Km (Started with a full tank and will fill up tomorrow to verify consumption)
Average Speed 84 Km/h (I was at the max posted limits whenever possible)

Trip included
10 Km Urban @ 60 Km/h max speed
140 Km Freeway @ 100/110 Km/h max
40 Km Hilly country type B roads @ 80 Km/h max

For all you 'old school' mpg users that's over 50 mpg, which I consider exceptional given the average speed over the distance, and yes I did use Sport Mode in the hilly section to get good drive out of the corners.
Must say that I love the Go Kart style steering in Sport Mode when you attack a few corners.
The only downside I have with the car is the standard Bridgestone rubber on !8" rims, way too noisy over coarse asphalt.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

atlanta98 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:20 am Did my first road trip in 2018 Polo GTI today, only had car for a couple of weeks driving around local urban area.

Indicated Details are
Fuel Consumption 5.5 L/100 Km (Started with a full tank and will fill up tomorrow to verify consumption)

Trip included

For all you 'old school' mpg users that's over 50 mpg, which I consider exceptional given the average speed over the distance, and yes I did use Sport Mode in the hilly section to get good drive out of the corners.
Must say that I love the Go Kart style steering in Sport Mode when you attack a few corners.
The only downside I have with the car is the standard Bridgestone rubber on !8" rims, way too noisy over coarse asphalt.
Looking at your total trip stats and the breakdown of your trip, it looks like you had no congestion (which is good for mpg*) and your max speed was 71mph (110kmph). For a 123 mile (190km) trip, with no congestion and 71mph max speed, 50mpg is pretty easy to achieve in the GTI. I don't do many big trips, but doing a 90 mile motorway journey, maintaining 80mph, I got 45mpg, and maintaining 70 on the same trip, I'd be likely looking at 53mpg.

The car is much improved in many aspects once you ditch the Bridgestones.

*mpg isn't old school, if we were using km and not miles, we'd be doing l/100km too. It's a customary difference...then the yanks added confusion by adopting a small Gallon!
phillos
Bronze Member
Drives: '19 Polo (AW)

Post by phillos »

monkeyhanger wrote:
atlanta98 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:20 am Did my first road trip in 2018 Polo GTI today, only had car for a couple of weeks driving around local urban area.

Indicated Details are

Trip included

Looking at your total trip stats and the breakdown of your trip, it looks like you had no congestion (which is good for mpg*) and your max speed was 71mph (110kmph). For a 123 mile (190km) trip, with no congestion and 71mph max speed, 50mpg is pretty easy to achieve in the GTI. I don't do many big trips, but doing a 90 mile motorway journey, maintaining 80mph, I got 45mpg, and maintaining 70 on the same trip, I'd be likely looking at 53mpg.

The car is much improved in many aspects once you ditch the Bridgestones.

*mpg isn't old school, if we were using km and not miles, we'd be doing l/100km too. It's a customary difference...then the yanks added confusion by adopting a small Gallon!
L/100km is a german thing btw. Most other countries that utilize KM use km/L.
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

not only germans we also use L/km
atlanta98
New
Drives: 2018 GTI

Post by atlanta98 »

From Wikipedia,

this should clear up who uses what

the SI has officially been adopted by all countries except the United States, Liberia, and Myanmar.[2] Both Myanmar and Liberia make substantial use of SI units, as do the scientific, military, and medical communities in the US. Countries such as the United Kingdom, Canada, and certain islands in the Caribbean have partially metricated, currently employing a mixture of SI, imperial, and US Customary units. For instance, road signs in the United Kingdom continue to use miles whilst produce in Canada and the United Kingdom continue to, in certain context, be advertised in pounds rather than kilograms. The incomplete processes of metrication in Canada and the United Kingdom illustrate the complex status of metrication internationally beyond the three countries (US, Myanmar, and Liberia) commonly cited as not having adopted the SI.

Units of fuel per fixed distance
Generally expressed as liters per 100 kilometers (L/100 km), used in most European countries, China, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand. British, Irish and Canadian law allow for the use of either liters per 100 kilometers or miles per imperial gallon.[2][3][4][5] The window sticker on new US cars displays the vehicle's fuel consumption in US gallons per 100 miles, in addition to the traditional MPG number.[6] A lower number means more efficient, while a higher number means less efficient.

Units of distance per fixed fuel unit
Miles per gallon (mpg) is commonly used in the United States, the United Kingdom, and Canada (alongside L/100 km). Kilometers per liter (km/L) is more commonly used elsewhere in the Americas, Asia, parts of Africa and Oceania. In Arab countries km/20 L, which is known as kilometers per tanaka (or Tanakeh) is used, where tanaka is a metal container which has a volume of twenty liters. When the mpg unit is used, it is necessary to identify the type of gallon used: the imperial gallon is 4.54609 liters, and the U.S. gallon is 3.785 liters. When using a measure expressed as distance per fuel unit, a higher number means more efficient, while a lower number means less efficient.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

...and mainland Europe along with the Americas and half if Africa drive on the wrong side of the road. :lol:
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I finally cracked 40mpg on my commute today (40.4mpg), due to the unseasonably hot weather and quiet roads due to school holidays and I didn't have to drive like a nun to fo it just lots of sensible people in front of me, driving predictably and sensibly to around the speed limits.

I've tried all this week, been close but never quite managed it due to stop start refusing to kick in on a few long waits at the lights (despite the engine being hot and the battery being in a good state of charge) and being stuck behind someone doing 18mph on a 1 mile downhill stretch of a 40 mph road where I usually see my mpg go up about 20% on the last 2 miles of my commute to work.
paulrodgers7
Getting There!
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi + White/black roof

Post by paulrodgers7 »

My work commute on Wednesday consisted of A roads, Motorway, city traffic and air conditioning, 35 miles one way 50.3 mpg ..... love this engine.
Attachments
Map.jpg
IMG_3457.jpeg
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Post by vc-10 »

Do you have climate? Or was the AC on cold at fan speed 3 or 4? Because the stop/start won't work if the climate control is actively cooling the car, or if the fan is on too fast with regular AC.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

S_94 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 1:03 pm Doing a 200 mile trip to London tomorrow. First time properly taking the GTI on the motorway for an extended period of time.

My current work commute (12.5 miles) I'm averaging between 35-38mpg. Can I expect this to be higher for my journey tomorrow?

Car is approaching 500 miles so hopefully this won't effect the 'break in' period too much. Would it be best to leave the car in Eco?
If you do your motorway cruising at 80mph, I'd expect 45-47mpg in Sport mode if the drive is uncongested and its warm enough to need aircon. If you stick to 70, you should expect 50-53mpg. I wouldn't bother with Eco unless you expect to do enough downhill freewheeling to affect the mpg at the expense of sluggish throttle response. You might get an extra 1mpg in Eco mode, but it won't be worth it.
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:06 pm
S_94 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 1:03 pm Doing a 200 mile trip to London tomorrow. First time properly taking the GTI on the motorway for an extended period of time.

My current work commute (12.5 miles) I'm averaging between 35-38mpg. Can I expect this to be higher for my journey tomorrow?

Car is approaching 500 miles so hopefully this won't effect the 'break in' period too much. Would it be best to leave the car in Eco?
If you do your motorway cruising at 80mph, I'd expect 45-47mpg in Sport mode if the drive is uncongested and its warm enough to need aircon. If you stick to 70, you should expect 50-53mpg. I wouldn't bother with Eco unless you expect to do enough downhill freewheeling to affect the mpg at the expense of sluggish throttle response. You might get an extra 1mpg in Eco mode, but it won't be worth it.
Think back when I did that trip I averaged 44-47mpg which I was really impressed with. Majority of the journey was in Normal mode with the occasional switch to Sport.

Really impressed with the mpg on the GTI for motorway driving.