Polo AW GTI Speaker replacement

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
ShamzGTI
New
Drives: AW GTI

Polo AW GTI Speaker replacement

Post by ShamzGTI »

Hi Guys,

I got my AW GTI for over a year now and I want to replace the door speakers, want to keep an OEM look.
Was looking to get these: https://www.focal.com/en/car-audio/car- ... /is-165-vw
Would they provide a decent improvement over the factory speakers without a Amp?
Also does anyone know if they would fit the polo aw. What size speakers does the polo aw come with?
Dazeredo
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo aw1 1.0t 95hp

Re: Polo AW GTI Speaker replacement

Post by Dazeredo »

Focal is a brand with high quality products, I think that would be a good upgrade.
On my previous car (a Mazda 2) I make adapters from some kitchen boards and bought speakers from Heartz... If you have the tools and know how, diy is also a good (and cheaper) solution.

You can also try to get a beats kit to retrofit, it's really an huge improvement from the stock audio system.
ShamzGTI
New

Post by ShamzGTI »

thanks for the response, You dont get the option for beats audio in the GTI here else I would have opted for that.
After some google searches I see the GTI models dont have the same wiring as the Beats hence looking at the Focals as they would use the same wiring.
Not looking for massive bass either. My Polo 6C GTI had a much bigger bang and seemed much louder with that factory system. Looking to match that kind of sound.
Did you run an amp with the hertz you had fitted to your Mazda? Would the focals get enough power from the factory system?
Dazeredo
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo aw1 1.0t 95hp

Post by Dazeredo »

No, it was a direct replace of the OEM speakers with the heartz. My idea was to improve que quality, not the power.
If the impedance of the new speakers is the same you will not have any problem, if it's different you will lose some power but still work.
fazzy
Bronze Member
Drives: GTi++/TT/TDi/190E

Post by fazzy »

While we on the topic of Sound system...
When I play anything on the stock sound system, no matter how loud I adjust the volume and no matter what the source of sound is, the volume gets to a certain point and even if you try to raise the volume, it remains the same - as if something is limiting the volume in order to prevent sound distortion... Anybody has an idea what does that?
What happens when you put in an amp and different speakers...? Will it still do that?
green justin
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI

Post by green justin »

I think a compact powered sub under the seat or in the boot does wonders to the stock speakers.

It is cheaper and does the most improvement.
ShamzGTI
New

Post by ShamzGTI »

Dazeredo wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:07 pm No, it was a direct replace of the OEM speakers with the heartz. My idea was to improve que quality, not the power.
If the impedance of the new speakers is the same you will not have any problem, if it's different you will lose some power but still work.
Thanks, will see what other options are out there aswell, if I am not mistaken the Focals for VW run at the same impedance
ShamzGTI
New

Post by ShamzGTI »

fazzy wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:00 pm While we on the topic of Sound system...
When I play anything on the stock sound system, no matter how loud I adjust the volume and no matter what the source of sound is, the volume gets to a certain point and even if you try to raise the volume, it remains the same - as if something is limiting the volume in order to prevent sound distortion... Anybody has an idea what does that?
What happens when you put in an amp and different speakers...? Will it still do that?
I also experienced the same issue, an AMP might actually help fix that. For me its not really what I am looking to do though. just looking at cleaner sound
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

I installed and active sub and 2 6x9s with wooden backboard... all you need for deep club style bass.
ShamzGTI
New

Post by ShamzGTI »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:02 pm I installed and active sub and 2 6x9s with wooden backboard... all you need for deep club style bass.
Do you mind telling me what active sub and were its installed. Perhaps a pic if you do not mind either.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member

Post by OomStu_ZA »

Sure, posted on this forum a while back:
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=72907&p=556422#p556428
ShamzGTI
New

Post by ShamzGTI »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:41 pm Sure, posted on this forum a while back:
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=72907&p=556422#p556428
Looks really good. What panels did they have to open up to run cables. Did they open anything on the dash to pull a remote wire. Just concerned about the panels as my previous polo gti 6c panels rattled from brand new. Havent had a issue with this one and rattles.

Did you consider sound deadening for the front doors.

That helped with my 6c and rattles also improved the factory sound a bit.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member

Post by OomStu_ZA »

ShamzGTI wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:05 pm
Looks really good. What panels did they have to open up to run cables. Did they open anything on the dash to pull a remote wire. Just concerned about the panels as my previous polo gti 6c panels rattled from brand new. Havent had a issue with this one and rattles.

No idea mate, I drank coffee and ate vetkoek while the work was done :P I had it installed at N1 city, Cape Tow Bars I think its called.. next to Tyger Wheels. Very helpful peeps indeed. Was cheap at 5K.

Yes I also considered some kind of sound deadening for my 2017 6C thanks to all the rattles, but like you say, this time round it seems better,
shamz
New
Drives: polo aw gti

Post by shamz »

OomStu_ZA wrote:
ShamzGTI wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:05 pm

No idea mate, I drank coffee and ate vetkoek while the work was done [emoji14] I had it installed at N1 city, Cape Tow Bars I think its called.. next to Tyger Wheels. Very helpful peeps indeed. Was cheap at 5K.

Yes I also considered some kind of sound deadening for my 2017 6C thanks to all the rattles, but like you say, this time round it seems better,
I dont know who to trust in Jhb. Dont want rattles if they open panels.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

fletch555
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by fletch555 »

I found the basic sound system in my Polo GTI really lacking until recently I connected an old iPod. The sound from the iPod is FAR superior than that of Spotify via Android Auto. As you turn up the volume when listening to Spotify, it starts to gradually reduce the bass. The same thing doesn't happen with the iPod and it has a lot more bass as a result. I wonder if there is a way of stopping this happening in Android Auto/Spotify settings. I've had a look but can't find anything.