Peron Stage 1 Remap

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: Peron Stage 1 Remap

Post by monkeyhanger »

Nodster wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:00 pm Wow. And do they provide the lube? Or is that extra too? :lol:

I mean come on... Not once have I seen the need to replace spark plugs just for a remap. The only time I've done plugs and injectors was when I supercharged my Mk6 Fiesta ST many many years ago now (that added 150bhp!). And similarly when I had Jenvy ITBs and Omex ECU setup on my Mk5 Fiesta Zetec S 1600.

So...

Package 2
STG1+ ECU/TCU - So rough price, what £500?
RamAir PRORAM Panel Filter - £40
NGK Competition Plugs - Overkill...
Wagner Competition Intercooler - £600?
Air Con Gas Removal & Re-Gas (essential for intercooler swap) - How much is a re-gas.... £30?

So we're talking £1,200 neigh enough. They're charging nearly £900 labour... to fit an intercooler basically as aircon re-gas and dropping a panel filter ain't difficult. Let's say average mechanic rate is £70/hr. That would mean this job takes them 12 hours.

No thanks.
Not sure how much of a bugger it is to get to that intercooler to replace it, whether pretty much the whole front end has to be stripped to get it done. Either way, £70 an hour by your estimates is at the lower end of franchised VW dealer labour rates. Wouldn't expect an outfit like this to charge more than £50/hr. Sounds like maybe a 4 hour job max for the intercooler if the front end is pulled to bits and another hour for the spark plugs and filter change. Unless the remap pumps in so much fuel that RON98 is required to avoid pinking, I wouldn't change the spark plugs. Maybe labour is so high because Eva Peron is doing it?

Keep it at 240-250ps and you won't need to change the stock intercooler or anything else. With 250ps you won't be pushing it hard for very long before you're in license losing territory unless you're on an unrestricted autobahn.
Nodster
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI

Post by Nodster »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:28 pm
Nodster wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:00 pm Wow. And do they provide the lube? Or is that extra too? :lol:

I mean come on... Not once have I seen the need to replace spark plugs just for a remap. The only time I've done plugs and injectors was when I supercharged my Mk6 Fiesta ST many many years ago now (that added 150bhp!). And similarly when I had Jenvy ITBs and Omex ECU setup on my Mk5 Fiesta Zetec S 1600.

So...

Package 2
STG1+ ECU/TCU - So rough price, what £500?
RamAir PRORAM Panel Filter - £40
NGK Competition Plugs - Overkill...
Wagner Competition Intercooler - £600?
Air Con Gas Removal & Re-Gas (essential for intercooler swap) - How much is a re-gas.... £30?

So we're talking £1,200 neigh enough. They're charging nearly £900 labour... to fit an intercooler basically as aircon re-gas and dropping a panel filter ain't difficult. Let's say average mechanic rate is £70/hr. That would mean this job takes them 12 hours.

No thanks.
Not sure how much of a bugger it is to get to that intercooler to replace it, whether pretty much the whole front end has to be stripped to get it done. Either way, £70 an hour by your estimates is at the lower end of franchised VW dealer labour rates. Wouldn't expect an outfit like this to charge more than £50/hr. Sounds like maybe a 4 hour job max for the intercooler if the front end is pulled to bits and another hour for the spark plugs and filter change. Unless the remap pumps in so much fuel that RON98 is required to avoid pinking, I wouldn't change the spark plugs. Maybe labour is so high because Eva Peron is doing it?

Keep it at 240-250ps and you won't need to change the stock intercooler or anything else. With 250ps you won't be pushing it hard for very long before you're in license losing territory unless you're on an unrestricted autobahn.
Totally agree. You need to be on a track to surely notice the saturation? And I'm with you, surely a few hours to do the intercooler max. Interesting on the NGK front, Awesome GTI list two sets (one being angled electrode) for the EA888 Gen 3 engine... none of which are compatible with 2019 GPF model cars:

https://www.awesomegti.com/shop-by-bran ... gen3-is38/
https://www.awesomegti.com/shop-by-bran ... gen3-is38/

I'm still waiting to hear from Revo, but I can't see why they won't be in the 250 range like most others.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

While not the same method discussed, here is a stage 3 tune using IS38 turbo:
https://youtu.be/onQtk1tDysE
350HP and 529NM.. yummy. The Miltek exhaust sounds awesome too!
Last edited by OomStu_ZA on Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Once you start getting into serious hardware upgrades as required for a stage 3, you're getting onto truly crazy money - you'd be better off buying a Golf R and sticking a remap or tuning box on with no additional hardware required. Can't imagine 350ps on a FWD car being easy to pull away with - it'll just tramp on the spot, chewing up your front tyres. I'd be concerned about rear end stability when using the top 100ps, not having multilink rear suspension too.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:17 am Once you start getting into serious hardware upgrades as required for a stage 3, you're getting onto truly crazy money - you'd be better off buying a Golf R and sticking a remap or tuning box on with no additional hardware required. Can't imagine 350ps on a FWD car being easy to pull away with - it'll just tramp on the spot, chewing up your front tyres. I'd be concerned about rear end stability when using the top 100ps, not having multilink rear suspension too.
So true but at the same time you also have something rather unique. Dont think I will ever go down that path, at most probably change out the stock exhaust when I get round to it because the vehicle is still in warranty.
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:35 pm So true but at the same time you also have something rather unique. Dont think I will ever go down that path, at most probably change out the stock exhaust when I get round to it because the vehicle is still in warranty.
Having an aftermarket exhaust wont void warranty as long as it is OPF back. I confirmed this a while ago with VW. Unless the defect you have has been caused by the exhaust obviously.
Nodster
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI

Post by Nodster »

Stuart_Rendall wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:59 pm
OomStu_ZA wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:35 pm So true but at the same time you also have something rather unique. Dont think I will ever go down that path, at most probably change out the stock exhaust when I get round to it because the vehicle is still in warranty.
Having an aftermarket exhaust wont void warranty as long as it is OPF back. I confirmed this a while ago with VW. Unless the defect you have has been caused by the exhaust obviously.
Good to know. :)