Polo AW Facelift Teased

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: Polo AW Facelift Teased

Post by monkeyhanger »

I wish they would do a manual box, i'd consider a facelift then!
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

From the VW Instagram page.

https://ibb.co/8KXQJnY

Can't attach photo, think storage limit has been hit for the forum
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

S_94 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:45 pm From the VW Instagram page.

It's only a prototype so chances are no flaired arches and bulging bonnet, but I do like the new fog lights. Remind me of how Renault have been making theirs for years.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Stuart_Rendall wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:37 pm
S_94 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:45 pm From the VW Instagram page.

It's only a prototype so chances are no flaired arches and bulging bonnet, but I do like the new fog lights. Remind me of how Renault have been making theirs for years.
Agree; VW won’t be looking to produce bespoke GTI body panels as that would be too expensive to do. IMHO it’ll use the same body panels as the rest of the Polo range, but it’ll have the usual GTI-specific design elements - e.g. front grille, bumpers, sill extensions rear diffuser and tailgate spoiler etc. to distinguish it from other Polo models.

Fog lights in that render are a variation on the mk8 Golf GTI fog lights (the mk8 Golf GTI has five hex shaped elements per side), so they may well make it onto the production version.
Last edited by SRGTD on Mon May 10, 2021 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

End of next month they’ll show it to us mortals. At least they’re bringing it back. I love mine even with it’s foibles and it’s by no means a perfect car. Maybe it’s like people who buy Alfa romeos and love them?
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Hopefully VW will have got the tech sorted for the facelift Polo. There are lots of discussions on various VAG forums about software issues and unresponsive or slow to respond user interfaces on the mk8 Golf and mk4 Seat Leon (and presumably the current Skoda Octavia and Audi A3 too). Software updates have been isssued, but problems persist.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

I couldnt see the image pasted earlier but found this link today of the teased GTI
https://www.cars.co.za/motoring_news/up ... sed/51166/
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

Going by how similar the current R-Line Polo and GTI Polo look I think it's safe to assume the facelift GTI will look the same as this but with a red strip, GTI badges and potentially the hexagon fog lights teased in the near production prototype image.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210515-200154_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20210515-200154_Instagram.jpg (306.94 KiB) Viewed 1314 times
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Stuart_Rendall wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:06 am Going by how similar the current R-Line Polo and GTI Polo look I think it's safe to assume the facelift GTI will look the same as this but with a red strip, GTI badges and potentially the hexagon fog lights teased in the near production prototype image.
I think you’re right.

As for the facelift GTI’s wheels - the alloys on the facelift Polo R Line are a smaller version (16”?) of the standard 18” Jerez alloys on the mk8 Golf R, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see the facelift Polo GTI / GTI+ getting a 17” version of the mk8 Golf GTI’s standard 18” Richmond alloys (the current Polo GTI / GTI+ got a 17” version of the mk7.5 Golf GTI’s standard 18” Parker alloys).

Richmond alloys aren’t the nicest design of wheel IMHO;

Optional 19” alloys on the Golf GTI are Adelaide and Estoril, so the facelift Polo may get an 18” version of one of these as an extra cost option (the 18” option on the current Polo GTI / GTI+ is the Brescia, and that was offered as a 19” option on the mk7.5 Golf GTI).

Adelaide;

Estoril;
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

Seems there is a small bump in KW afterall 152KW same NM at 320.
https://www.cars.co.za/motoring-news/up ... sed/87968/
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

Here it is
Attachments
63E87D84-6017-484B-A49E-A4431F09BB41.jpeg
63E87D84-6017-484B-A49E-A4431F09BB41.jpeg (101.32 KiB) Viewed 983 times
6109C29E-1085-458B-844B-569EFD27FF29.jpeg
6109C29E-1085-458B-844B-569EFD27FF29.jpeg (84.97 KiB) Viewed 983 times
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

S_94 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:44 amHere it is
I'm only jealous of the rear lights. The rest is barely different to the current model.

What will be the model designation too... Mk6.5?
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

I won’t be rushing out to order one.

No surprise that it looks pretty much the same as the current model - that tends to be the way with a facelift model; low cost (to VW) minor changes to help maintain customer interest and sales through to the end of the AW Polo’s lifecycle. External changes are usually limited to revised bumpers, front grille and headlights, and some new alloy wheel designs, although with the Polo’s facelift, it gets a new tailgate design to accommodate the inner section of the new rear light clusters. We may see new designs of alloys for the production models. In spite of the minimal changes, VW will still call it the all new VW Polo GTI though.

From what I’ve read, it’ll be getting much of the same or similar tech to the mk8 Golf. That doesn’t bode too well at the moment, as there are a number of unresolved software gremlins with the mk8 Golf, and some of VW’s software updates to rectify these issues seem to have been either only partially successful or unsuccessful 😠.

The mild camouflage treatment of the lower front bumper isn’t really hiding much - looks as if the ‘new’ Polo GTI will be getting the mk8 Golf GTI style front fog lights (three separate vertically positioned hex shaped lights whereas the Golf GTI has a cluster of five). Apart from the rear light clusters extending into the tailgate, the reversing lights have been made larger and the rear indicators have been repositioned higher up within the light clusters. The profile of the lower section of both front and rear bumpers have been revised, and it looks as if there’s going to be separate reflectors in the lower rear bumper rather than the reflectors being integral in the rear light clusters.

With the increasing focus on EV’s, it may be the last of the Polo GTI’s.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

I hope that gloss black around the front bumper is “camo”, because if it isn’t I won’t be buying another when it’s time for mine to go in.

Looks like a pointless facelift to me as generally isn’t that different to the current car except it will now move to the buttonless approach inside, so you’re trying to swipe the widely acknowledged poor climate controls whilst driving. The same controls that you can’t see in the dark as Vw didn’t think them being lit up was a good idea.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

lancslad1985 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:08 am I hope that gloss black around the front bumper is “camo”, because if it isn’t I won’t be buying another when it’s time for mine to go in.

Looks like a pointless facelift to me as generally isn’t that different to the current car except it will now move to the buttonless approach inside, so you’re trying to swipe the widely acknowledged poor climate controls whilst driving. The same controls that you can’t see in the dark as Vw didn’t think them being lit up was a good idea.
I’d say the gloss black sections around upper corners in the lower grille is camouflage, to disguise the actual lower grille so it looks like the current GTI to the casual observer.

Visually, very few facelifts are anything other than a mild makeover to maintain customer interest and sales until the end of a car’s lifecycle. A car manufacturer isn’t going to invest £££££££’s in making major changes to a car half way through its lifecycle as there’d be a big risk they wouldn’t recoup that investment. With the facelift of the previous generation Polo (the 6R to the 6C) you’d be hard pressed to tell the difference between the two from the outside. I’ve lost count of the number of times forum members have asked ‘is my car a 6R or 6C Polo?’ - the differences are very subtle. The facelift of the previous generation was more about under the skin changes (different powerplants) and interior changes (e.g. adopting the mk7 Golf infotainment units).

With this facelift, I’d say it’s predominantly about the interior tech upgrades, although as per my previous post, if the software is essentially the same as that used in the new mk8 Golf, then there’s likely to be a ‘few issues’ if VW haven’t managed to sort the gremlins that are affecting the Golf and it’s siblings (A3, Leon and Octavia).

Looking at the pictures of the buttonless climate control panel, the facelift Polo’s climate controls are ‘borrowed’ from the Arteon and Tiguan and I think that unlike the Golf’s, they may actually be backlit.

Not all trim levels are getting climate control - some will get manual air con - this is from VW ‘s website under the ‘design’ (interior) details of the facelift Polo;

Maybe you’re looking for features such as Digital Cockpit Pro with customised settings, a Climatronic air conditioning system with intuitive touch button controls, or ambient lighting? Then no problem, because these are available as standard or as options depending on the equipment line.

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new/new-polo.html

Any pictures that VW release of a forthcoming model are likely to be of a car that’s fully loaded with most - if not all - of the extra cost options. There’s a good chance that the touch panel climate controls will be an extra cost option on the GTI in the same way that dual zone CC was on the current model, with the standard offering being manual air con. Whether the manual air con will keep conventional knobs - who knows?