2018 Polo NEW SHAPE

Chat about your 2018+ AW model Polos here!
User avatar
iichel
Platinum Member
Posts: 1914
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:14 pm
Drives: 6R becoming 6C. slowly.
Location: Zurich, Switzerland

Re: 2018 Polo NEW SHAPE

Post by iichel » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:55 am

Yes please. One 4 door 1.0 TSI DSG in Orange with all options except the smokers package.

Image

Image

Polo AW according to the chassis number

Image

Willni
Silver Member
Posts: 340
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:46 pm
Drives: Polo '14 6R, Golf 07' Edition 30
Location: NI

Re: 2018 Polo NEW SHAPE

Post by Willni » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:42 pm

iichel wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:55 am
Yes please. One 4 door 1.0 TSI DSG in Orange with all options except the smokers package.
Is it weird that I actually like the standard 2018 polo more than the GTI/R-Line/Beats models?
Also does anyone else think it actually looks typically French?

User avatar
iichel
Platinum Member
Posts: 1914
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:14 pm
Drives: 6R becoming 6C. slowly.
Location: Zurich, Switzerland

Re: 2018 Polo NEW SHAPE

Post by iichel » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:47 pm

The difference between the normal Polo and the R-Line, at least up front, is'nt so big.
The first thing that came to me when viewing the rear was 'BMW 1-series'.
From the side it looks like a Golf on 90%

SRGTD
Silver Member
Posts: 461
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:40 pm
Drives: 2016 6C Polo GTI 5 door, Blue Silk
Location: UK

Re: 2018 Polo NEW SHAPE

Post by SRGTD » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:24 am

Here’s a couple of YouTube videos of the Polo GTI at this year’s Frankfurt Motor Show; one in Flash Red and the other in Pure White.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ri9cpNACAU0

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lO8h46AtkUk

All the press pictures of the GTI I’d seen up to now have been of a Flash Red model, so it’s good to see a Pure White one. Not keen on the red trim on the dash in the Pure White one though, I would choose the grey dash trim that’s in the Flash Red car.

User avatar
ciclo
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Posts: 3274
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:20 am
Drives: 6R TSI R-line ☺ '13
Location: Earth ♥, Spain ☼
Contact:

Re: 2018 Polo NEW SHAPE

Post by ciclo » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:32 pm

SRGTD wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:24 am
Not keen on the red trim on the dash in the Pure White one though, I would choose the grey dash trim that’s in the Flash Red car.
+1
Thanks for the videos.

Image... are you sure?
Image

---

BTW, BCM = 73/73/46.... 6C? :) (some with Internal Gateway and others with External Gateway)

SRGTD
Silver Member
Posts: 461
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:40 pm
Drives: 2016 6C Polo GTI 5 door, Blue Silk
Location: UK

Re: 2018 Polo NEW SHAPE

Post by SRGTD » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:15 pm

ciclo wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:32 pm
SRGTD wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:24 am
Not keen on the red trim on the dash in the Pure White one though, I would choose the grey dash trim that’s in the Flash Red car.
+1
Thanks for the videos.

Image... are you sure?
Yes, I’m sure :lol:. IMO the grey dash panel looks quite tasteful, but the red one is a bit too much for me. Full marks to VW for being a bit more adventurous though, as they’re usually pretty conservative with their paint and trim colours.

SRGTD
Silver Member
Posts: 461
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:40 pm
Drives: 2016 6C Polo GTI 5 door, Blue Silk
Location: UK

Re: 2018 Polo NEW SHAPE

Post by SRGTD » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:35 pm

Review of the new Polo from Polodriver.com;

http://www.polodriver.com/polo-2017/fir ... more-24202

The UK list price quoted at the bottom of the review for the 1.0 94bhp (95ps) 5 speed manual Polo Beats model is £16,980. This is the price for a ‘vanilla’ model with no options. By way of comparison, the UK list price of the equivalent 6c Polo Beats model (5 door 1.2 89bhp / 90ps 5 speed manual) is £16,130, so an £850 (5.27%) increase in price for a new model, larger car with slightly more power and more up to date tech.

pipsyp
Getting There!
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 9:00 am
Drives: Pure White 6C GTi 3 door manual
Location: Sussex

Re: 2018 Polo NEW SHAPE

Post by pipsyp » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:14 pm

My biggest disappointments with the GTI are definitely no 3 door option but mainly power output.

189 v 197hp and probably not huge weight difference to 6C.....performance wise there will be little or nothing in it. The 1.8 is typically received as being a sweeter, revvier unit than the 2.0..also I bet it still has the IS12 turbo on it too so remapping potential will have similar limits as well..if its an IS20 then happy days I guess.

Focus may well be on how it handles though, as its one of the few areas the 6C could be improved

GolfDriver
New
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:46 pm
Drives: On my 5th Golf but tempted by new Polo
Location: Sussex

Re: 2018 Polo NEW SHAPE

Post by GolfDriver » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:04 pm

Just saying "hello" really. Owned a number of Golfs since 1987 but now tempted by the latest Polo. The one that appeals is the 1.5 but not much info available yet.
Will keep an eye on the forum

Thanks,

Neil.

SRGTD
Silver Member
Posts: 461
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:40 pm
Drives: 2016 6C Polo GTI 5 door, Blue Silk
Location: UK

Re: 2018 Polo NEW SHAPE

Post by SRGTD » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:22 pm

GolfDriver wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:04 pm
Just saying "hello" really. Owned a number of Golfs since 1987 but now tempted by the latest Polo. The one that appeals is the 1.5 but not much info available yet.
Will keep an eye on the forum

Thanks,

Neil.
Welcome to the forum Neil. Yes, the 1.5 looks interesting; 150 ps with cylinder deactivation. Based on information available so far, this engine will only be available in the R-Line model, and will only be available with the 7 speed DSG (no manual option). UK pricing this model hasn't been announced yet - assume we’ll hear more later this year or early next year.

Willni
Silver Member
Posts: 340
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:46 pm
Drives: Polo '14 6R, Golf 07' Edition 30
Location: NI

Re: 2018 Polo NEW SHAPE

Post by Willni » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:14 pm

pipsyp wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:14 pm
My biggest disappointments with the GTI are definitely no 3 door option but mainly power output.

189 v 197hp and probably not huge weight difference to 6C.....performance wise there will be little or nothing in it. The 1.8 is typically received as being a sweeter, revvier unit than the 2.0..also I bet it still has the IS12 turbo on it too so remapping potential will have similar limits as well..if its an IS20 then happy days I guess.

Focus may well be on how it handles though, as its one of the few areas the 6C could be improved
If they add anymore it's the current mk7 golf gti and would trounce it due to weight, at least in a line that is. It's the replacement for the current golf GTI powerwise and the mk8 golf is set to receive a large boost in power but until then it'll say under 200 for 4 years, also don't forget the 6R->6C had a 30bhp up in it's mid life so they won't see it as a great concern at the present.

SRGTD
Silver Member
Posts: 461
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:40 pm
Drives: 2016 6C Polo GTI 5 door, Blue Silk
Location: UK

Re: 2018 Polo NEW SHAPE

Post by SRGTD » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:05 pm

Interior and exterior review of the new Polo GTI by Autogefühl;

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AlKppE4s_F4

The model in the video looks like a fully loaded top spec GTI+. I do like it but I’m not keen on Reef Blue paintwork, or the red dashboard trim of the car in the video. If I was buying one, it’d be either Flash Red or Pure White with grey dashboard trim.

The price quoted in the video for the GTI in Germany is expected to be around €23,000 (around £20,300) - presumably for a ‘standard’ model before options. The list price for the 6c GTI (5 door manual) is £20,130, so I wouldn’t expect the new GTI to have a UK list price of less than £21,000 before options, although the UK standard spec tends to be more generous than the equivalent German standard spec.

It’ll be interesting to see what the test drive reviews are like, and how it compares to the 6c GTI.

GolfDriver
New
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:46 pm
Drives: On my 5th Golf but tempted by new Polo
Location: Sussex

Re: 2018 Polo NEW SHAPE

Post by GolfDriver » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:10 pm

Thanks for posting the GTI video. Very informative.

I'm a fan of blue but maybe a bit too dark for a GTI.

Model that I am interested in is the 1.5 be good if anyone hears of any info on that one.

Thanks.

pipsyp
Getting There!
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 9:00 am
Drives: Pure White 6C GTi 3 door manual
Location: Sussex

Re: 2018 Polo NEW SHAPE

Post by pipsyp » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:42 pm

Willni wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:14 pm
pipsyp wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:14 pm
My biggest disappointments with the GTI are definitely no 3 door option but mainly power output.

189 v 197hp and probably not huge weight difference to 6C.....performance wise there will be little or nothing in it. The 1.8 is typically received as being a sweeter, revvier unit than the 2.0..also I bet it still has the IS12 turbo on it too so remapping potential will have similar limits as well..if its an IS20 then happy days I guess.

Focus may well be on how it handles though, as its one of the few areas the 6C could be improved
If they add anymore it's the current mk7 golf gti and would trounce it due to weight, at least in a line that is. It's the replacement for the current golf GTI powerwise and the mk8 golf is set to receive a large boost in power but until then it'll say under 200 for 4 years, also don't forget the 6R->6C had a 30bhp up in it's mid life so they won't see it as a great concern at the present.
Yeah true enough but found this link.....

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new- ... ive-images

Looks like the new car will be rather cheekily 200ps/197hp so 8hp more than the old. Torque output the same 236lb/ft though interestingly its flat almost throughout the entire rev range. It may well pull a bit harder at the higher end where the 6C loses its breath a bit?

Do think its a shame they couldnt have just given it a few more ponies...maybe another round 12ps like they did 6R to 6C. May have amounted to a couple of tenths and a 150 MPH top speed....all top trumps stuff but would have made it a bit more justifiable.

Article suggests the DSG will be 6 speed....somewhat makes sense as the DQ250 can cope with the 236lb/ft and its cheaper than the wet 7 speed unit used in the higher end VAG cars. At least DSG cars wont be hamstringed with torque restrictions this time around.

Weight wise betting theres little difference.....the chassis tech is no doubt lighter but its a bigger car than the 6c so its all likely to be academic.

Performance figures are identical to the 6C, still uses 312mm front brakes though slightly larger rears probably because the MQB tech allows for the smaller rear brakes from Golf 7 to be used. Also looks like the sports select option is no different to the 6C's (2 fixed modes).

On paper its a bit disappointing......I have a very highly spec'd 6C (I bought my car used but it'd have listed at over 22k with all the options on it...and its a 3 door manual the cheapest variant)......a change to a similar spec 2G is going to be steep and I dont feel will give alot over and above a 6C. Im sure Ill feel differently once I see one in the flesh but Im also not sure the new car looks as good as the 6C.

Never say never and all that.....if its better to drive...has five doors and a decent auto option it might be a contender but cant help but think it'll just be too expensive. I await its launch with some interest but also scepticism :-)

Oli3000
Getting There!
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:29 am
Drives: 6C 1.0tsi 110 6spd man SEL
Location: Bristol

Re: 2018 Polo NEW SHAPE

Post by Oli3000 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:11 pm

GolfDriver wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:10 pm
Thanks for posting the GTI video. Very informative.

I'm a fan of blue but maybe a bit too dark for a GTI.

Model that I am interested in is the 1.5 be good if anyone hears of any info on that one.

Thanks.
Disappointingly, according to the back of the brochure, the 1.5 evoTSI will be available in R-line DSG trim only. Would have been nice to have a manual option!

Post Reply