2018 Polo NEW SHAPE

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Willni
Silver Member
Drives: Polo '14 6R, Golf 07' Edition 30

2018 Polo NEW SHAPE

Post by Willni »

Came across this on my interweb automotive travels

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/m ... pecs-info/

I think I'd buy one if I didn't want a bigger car
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: 2018 Polo NEW SHAPE

Post by SRGTD »

There's been a few posts on the new Polo in the 'New GTI' thread today, but good to see the comprehensive selection of pictures that are in the CAR Magazine article.

I must say that from the pictures, I do like it. The GTI looks really good in red and it'll be high on my list when the time comes to replace my current Polo GTI. That probably won't be for 3 years though, so by then, hopefully any initial teething problems will have been well and truly sorted.

It's interesting that the GTI model is included so early in the new model's lifecycle; VW normally waits a while after a new car's model launch before launching the 'hot' version. I see from the pictures that VW have retained a traditional handbrake and haven't adopted the e-brake that's used in the Golf. As the new Polo is built on the MQB platform, it'll be interesting to see if independent rear suspension is adopted for some or all models or if a rear beam axle will be retained.

The wheels on the GTI on the pictures look like an 18" version of the Brescia alloys that are available in 19" as an option on the Golf GTI and GTD models, so assume these will be the 18" option (I've read in another article that the GTI will have 17" wheels as standard). Some of the members on one of the Golf forums are a bit miffed that the Polo is the first VW model to get the second generation version of the Active Information Display (AID) digital dashboard - the facelift Golf gets the first generation version, which isn't as high def as the version available in the new Polo, and is more limited in terms of it's functionality compared to the gen 2 version. I like the high-up position of the infotainment screen on the dashboard - above the two centre air vents; much easier for the driver to see and IMO, safer use than the version in the facelift Golf which is lower down (below the centre air vents).

CAR Magazine compares the new Polo to the mk4 Golf in terms of size. I had a mk4 Golf and for me, that's my ideal size of car.

I look forward to reading the test reviews of the GTI model, once it's available to the motoring press.
Willni
Silver Member

Post by Willni »

Speaking of the mk 4 golf, hopefully we'll see a Polo R this time round. Also I think they announced the GTI straight away because Ford did with the Fiesta ST.

Crap engines in the polo though 6 1-litre versions, it might be cheaper but I'd prefer a better built N/A over turboed 1 litres
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I thought that I had read that there are 4 1.0 3 cylinder engines, 2 N/A + 2 T, followed by a 1.5T(3 cylinder?) and finally a 2.0T (4 cylinder?) ?

I agree that a properly sorted out NA engine is what I would have liked to see, but I think that emissions/consumption/driveability/cost, will prohibit that from VW Group in this price sector of the market.
pipsyp
Getting There!
Drives: Pure White 6C GTi 3 door manual

Post by pipsyp »

It looks quite nice. I'm not so sold on all the straight line seams down the side and across the tailgate at the moment...looks a bit over designed but I expect it'll be a grower.

The A0 platform will have a beam rear, multilink in a car like this isnt cost effective.

Its disappointing its only received a 5hp hike over the existing car.....its probably going to be lighter but performance wise its not going to be much different to the current car. Might respond well to tuning though assuming it literally is a detuned Mk7.5 GTI lump.

Shame they've dropped the 3 door....from a cost perspective I get it but that move will probably end up bolstering ST and 208 GTi sales for those than dont want 5 doors.

Having had pre and post MQB Golfs and Octavias, the usual thing is that standard equipment increases but the build of the actual car cheapens. I loved my Mk7 GTD's but they felt nothing like as solidly built as the Mk6's I had previously....same went for the Mk3 Octavia v the Mk2. The bonus was the loss in weight helped performance and economy.

One area that is interesting is the increase in boot space....its hardly smaller than the Golf...however if the GTI's battery is in the boot again.......
Willni
Silver Member

Post by Willni »

RUM4MO wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:07 am I thought that I had read that there are 4 1.0 3 cylinder engines, 2 N/A + 2 T, followed by a 1.5T(3 cylinder?) and finally a 2.0T (4 cylinder?) ?

I agree that a properly sorted out NA engine is what I would have liked to see, but I think that emissions/consumption/driveability/cost, will prohibit that from VW Group in this price sector of the market.
Think I read that smaller engines with a turbo generally make more emissions and get worse mpg because they have to work harder to maintain normal speeds eg 70mph on a motorway it would sit 4,000rpm or so verses 2000rpm of a 2 litre .
pipsyp wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:10 am It looks quite nice. I'm not so sold on all the straight line seams down the side and across the tailgate at the moment...looks a bit over designed but I expect it'll be a grower.

The A0 platform will have a beam rear, multilink in a car like this isnt cost effective.

Its disappointing its only received a 5hp hike over the existing car.....its probably going to be lighter but performance wise its not going to be much different to the current car. Might respond well to tuning though assuming it literally is a detuned Mk7.5 GTI lump.

Shame they've dropped the 3 door....from a cost perspective I get it but that move will probably end up bolstering ST and 208 GTi sales for those than dont want 5 doors.

Having had pre and post MQB Golfs and Octavias, the usual thing is that standard equipment increases but the build of the actual car cheapens. I loved my Mk7 GTD's but they felt nothing like as solidly built as the Mk6's I had previously....same went for the Mk3 Octavia v the Mk2. The bonus was the loss in weight helped performance and economy.

One area that is interesting is the increase in boot space....its hardly smaller than the Golf...however if the GTI's battery is in the boot again.......
Didn't see that they dropped the 3 door think that will be a very bad move on vw's part, considering 3 door is a big chuck of sales, especially for the GTI. Also I agree with you about standards dropping on the MQB platform in fact I think the best built was the mk5 not that there's much difference between the mk5 and mk6.

They're skipping steps that actually add quality for enthusiasts in place for bluetooth and novelty screens
peter_dk25
Silver Member
Drives: Blue GT

Post by peter_dk25 »

VW have said that only 7 % of total sales of the Polo 6R/6C were 3 doors - so I think that's the reason......
Willni
Silver Member

Post by Willni »

7% of 2016 sales would be 3,811, at an £12,000 each as a rough but fair price for a new one adds up to £45.7m. Don't think they're in any position to cut that from their revenue after diesel gate and having to cut so many projects.
haflidij
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 1.4 2013 6R

Post by haflidij »

Ive always liked the 5door way more. Dont see the reason in 3doors , why not have 5 if you can ?. Its more practical in everyway possible :D . Atleast to me it is. Each to their own i guess
peter_dk25
Silver Member
Drives: Blue GT

Post by peter_dk25 »

Willni wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:19 pm 7% of 2016 sales would be 3,811, at an £12,000 each as a rough but fair price for a new one adds up to £45.7m. Don't think they're in any position to cut that from their revenue after diesel gate and having to cut so many projects.
7 % is a total - not only for the UK....
Willni
Silver Member

Post by Willni »

peter_dk25 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:42 am
Willni wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:19 pm 7% of 2016 sales would be 3,811, at an £12,000 each as a rough but fair price for a new one adds up to £45.7m. Don't think they're in any position to cut that from their revenue after diesel gate and having to cut so many projects.
7 % is a total - not only for the UK....
Would you really snub your nose at £45.7m a conservative figure?
haflidij wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:07 am Ive always liked the 5door way more. Dont see the reason in 3doors , why not have 5 if you can ?. Its more practical in everyway possible :D . Atleast to me it is. Each to their own i guess
3 door is generally considered the better looking, I prefer 3 door for looks when they're standard. When they're kitted out and clean a 5 door definitely looks better though. Don't think the polo is overly practical anyway the boot is a bit small in mine :(
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

This would end up being total Bull***te, but I might have read, some time ago, that VW were considering manufacturing Polo in more "forms" than the current 3/5 door hatch and saloon, ie maybe same as Ibiza which, in some areas would mean 5 door hatch, saloon, 3 door SC and an estate ST version.

I'm sure, for our area of the world, I read that 3 door sports coupe was possible in the next model.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Willni wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:50 am Would you really snub your nose at £45.7m a conservative figure?
But how much profit is generated from £45.7m of sales? Quite a bit less than £45.7m, so the amount of profit from 3,811 Polo 3 door sales as a percentage of the total profit from VW worldwide vehicle sales will be small, and this would no doubt have been a major factor in VW deciding to drop the 3 door version.
Willni wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:50 am 3 door is generally considered the better looking, I prefer 3 door for looks when they're standard. When they're kitted out and clean a 5 door definitely looks better though. Don't think the polo is overly practical anyway the boot is a bit small in mine :(
The Polo's boot space will increase from 280 litres for current model to 351 litres for the new model (for comparison purposes, the mk7 Golf is 380 litres), so it will be much more practical than the current model in terms of luggage carrying capacity. The GTI model may have less luggage capacity if the battery continues to be housed in the luggage compartment - however, it should still have more boot space than the current GTI.
derkie54
Getting There!
Drives: 2016 Polo 1.0 110PS TSI SEL 5 Door

Post by derkie54 »

"Think I read that smaller engines with a turbo generally make more emissions and get worse mpg because they have to work harder to maintain normal speeds eg 70mph on a motorway it would sit 4,000rpm or so verses 2000rpm of a 2 litre "

My 1.0 TSI does about 2,250 rpm at 70 mph
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Yes, exactly, these modern TSI engines, even the slightly older 1.2TSI do hand out the goods even at low revs, so RPM at cruising is low. I think the need for having small turbo charged petrol engines, currently, does come from emissions and it will be the sorts of emissions that a new breed of particulate filter has been developed to get rid of as well as other forms of emissions that the next phase of Euro regs will throw at petrol engines.