2018 Polo NEW SHAPE

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
nicster
New

Re: 2018 Polo NEW SHAPE

Post by nicster »

I put through a quote on Orange Wheels and a VW dealer in Chester tried to explain the situation. I think the gist of it was that the Orange Wheels website is fed by CAP, and CAP had likely entered expected residual values, thereby allowing a purchase price to be calculated. The latest info he had from VW suggested the DSG GTI may be available for order at the end of January, so delivery likely May/June time. Apparently there’s a 16 week turnaround now rather than 12. It wasn’t clear when the GTI manual or R line would be available but it didn’t appear that either were included in the January phase. Apologies if any of this is incorrect, just passing along the details as I understand them : )
Oli3000
Getting There!
Drives: 6C 1.0tsi 110 6spd man SEL

Post by Oli3000 »

he 1.5 R-line, GTI and GTI+ have appeared on the UK configurator!

As predicted by somebody the 1.5 EVO in the R-line is actually more than the base GTI. The GTI+ also is a decent saving for the number of spec upgrades you get.

Orangewheels pricing actually turns out to be pretty close!

Personally I want a GTI+ to get all the optional extras. But at that price, I may as well just get a Golf GTI!
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

A golf gti would set you back about £25k even after carwow - I know as I’ve specced one up! If you add in climate to the polo gti plus so it has the same spec as a golf gti, a manual car will be about £22k BEFORE carwow prices, so probably at least 2k off there. I’m not sure the extra £5k for the golf gti would be worth that 0.3 seconds and 30L of boot space for a car that’s being replaced in 2019 according to rumours. That’s just my opinion though.
Oli3000
Getting There!
Drives: 6C 1.0tsi 110 6spd man SEL

Post by Oli3000 »

lancslad1985 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:48 pm A golf gti would set you back about £25k even after carwow - I know as I’ve specced one up! If you add in climate to the polo gti plus so it has the same spec as a golf gti, a manual car will be about £22k BEFORE carwow prices, so probably at least 2k off there. I’m not sure the extra £5k for the golf gti would be worth that 0.3 seconds and 30L of boot space for a car that’s being replaced in 2019 according to rumours. That’s just my opinion though.
True when you talk about absolute numbers - but as the Golf residuals are so high you'd probably pay a similar amount!

2019? That's scarily quick since the facelift that was released last year!
lancslad1985
Gold Member

Post by lancslad1985 »

The polo gti normally holds its value well depending on options. We are being forced into changing the wife’s gti and she’s well over the 5000 miles a year she should be on due to various hospital appointments in Manchester last year that were unforeseen. She’s only £800 the wrong way in equity despite being 4000 miles over. She has a stock gti though and when they do valuations it’s based on cars with NO options. I’ve always been told by dealers to minimise your options as you don’t get it back unless selling privately.

The gti plus with its longer options list as standard should hold its value well. It’s only missing the climate compared to the golf gti to be honest. If you plan to keep the car longer than 18 months I’d buy the polo and save the £5k as the golf will drop in value with the mk8. Facelift only came last year, but that’s Vw for you! This all depends on test drives of course and would highly recommend the golf gti if you want one. You don’t see many of them as people tend to buy the R.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

lancslad1985 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:27 pm The polo gti normally holds its value well depending on options. We are being forced into changing the wife’s gti and she’s well over the 5000 miles a year she should be on due to various hospital appointments in Manchester last year that were unforeseen. She’s only £800 the wrong way in equity despite being 4000 miles over. She has a stock gti though and when they do valuations it’s based on cars with NO options. I’ve always been told by dealers to minimise your options as you don’t get it back unless selling privately.

The gti plus with its longer options list as standard should hold its value well. It’s only missing the climate compared to the golf gti to be honest. If you plan to keep the car longer than 18 months I’d buy the polo and save the £5k as the golf will drop in value with the mk8. Facelift only came last year, but that’s Vw for you! This all depends on test drives of course and would highly recommend the golf gti if you want one. You don’t see many of them as people tend to buy the R.
I’d be interested in the Polo GTI+ when the time comes to change my current Polo GTI, but my preference would be for a manual gearbox. I know the manual version isn’t available yet (should be later this year), but I won’t be changing my car for at least 2-2.5 years, and I wouldn’t want to be an early adopter of a brand new model - I’d rather wait for any initial teething troubles to be resolved, and initial discounts available at launch would be likely to increase over time too.

Based on current prices, that would mean the list price of a manual GTI+ would be around £1,350 cheaper than the DSG version, so a list price of around £21,290 for the manual. That seems pretty good IMO, considering the standard spec, and likely discounts of around £2.5k available (based on Orange Wheels discounts), would mean it should be possible to get a manual version of the GTI+ for around £19k after discounts.

Would I buy a mk7.5 Golf GTI? Unlikely, even if I could get one for around £25k. I don’t need a car as large as a Golf - the new Polo has ‘grown’ and is pretty much the same size as the mk4 Golf, and with boot space nearly as large as the Golf, the Polo would suit me just fine. Not forgetting the extra £6k the Golf GTI would cost me (after discounts) that I’d have in my pocket.
lancslad1985
Gold Member

Post by lancslad1985 »

SRGTD wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:40 pm I’d be interested in the Polo GTI+ when the time comes to change my current Polo GTI, but my preference would be for a manual gearbox. I know the manual version isn’t available yet (should be later this year), but I won’t be changing my car for at least 2-2.5 years, and I wouldn’t want to be an early adopter of a brand new model - I’d rather wait for any initial teething troubles to be resolved, and initial discounts available at launch would be likely to increase over time too.

Based on current prices, that would mean the list price of a manual GTI+ would be around £1,350 cheaper than the DSG version, so a list price of around £21,290 for the manual. That seems pretty good IMO, considering the standard spec, and likely discounts of around £2.5k available (based on Orange Wheels discounts), would mean it should be possible to get a manual version of the GTI+ for around £19k after discounts.

Would I buy a mk7.5 Golf GTI? Unlikely, even if I could get one for around £25k. I don’t need a car as large as a Golf - the new Polo has ‘grown’ and is pretty much the same size as the mk4 Golf, and with boot space nearly as large as the Golf, the Polo would suit me just fine. Not forgetting the extra £6k the Golf GTI would cost me (after discounts) that I’d have in my pocket.
I've already seen over £2k off a polo SEL via Carwow. Unlike the T-roc, they seem to be discounting the Polo right out the door.

I'm contemplating a dsg gti+. I do a 31 mile drive to work down the M61 and round the M60 and I am getting fed up of changing gear constantly in traffic at night (first world problems eh?!). Just disappointed that sat nav is an optional extra as £650 isn't worth it when you have car play and can use google maps if you have the data.

I'm in the stealers this weekend to get a quote on a golf or standard new polo for the wife, so will ask when the first gti/gti+ will arrive then.
jammydodger
Silver Member
Drives: 1.4 TDI SEL (6C)

Post by jammydodger »

lancslad1985 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:39 am I've already seen over £2k off a polo SEL via Carwow. Unlike the T-roc, they seem to be discounting the Polo right out the door.

I'm contemplating a dsg gti+. I do a 31 mile drive to work down the M61 and round the M60 and I am getting fed up of changing gear constantly in traffic at night (first world problems eh?!). Just disappointed that sat nav is an optional extra as £650 isn't worth it when you have car play and can use google maps if you have the data.

I'm in the stealers this weekend to get a quote on a golf or standard new polo for the wife, so will ask when the first gti/gti+ will arrive then.
I had a look at one on Saturday at Inchcape Oldham, I sat in a Golf straight afterward and there was very little difference in seating position and comfort. I do the M60 and M61 commute every day too so want an auto next time considering I'm crawling for half the journey. Keep an eye out for me - 2014 silver Polo SEL with BlueGT alloys, plate ends in VDC :wink:
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Oli3000 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:31 pm he 1.5 R-line, GTI and GTI+ have appeared on the UK configurator!

As predicted by somebody the 1.5 EVO in the R-line is actually more than the base GTI. The GTI+ also is a decent saving for the number of spec upgrades you get.

Orangewheels pricing actually turns out to be pretty close!

Personally I want a GTI+ to get all the optional extras. But at that price, I may as well just get a Golf GTI!
The price list brochure has also now been updated to include the GTI / GTI+ prices (hadn’t been updated yesterday when I looked). Interestingly, the 1.5 EVO R Line has been removed from the model range in the price list brochure and from the technical details towards the rear of the all model brochure, even though you can build this model in the configurator.

http://origin.volkswagen.co.uk/assets/c ... celist.pdf

http://origin.volkswagen.co.uk/assets/c ... ochure.pdf
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Post by AndyGTi »

lancslad1985 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:48 pm A golf gti would set you back about £25k even after carwow - I know as I’ve specced one up! If you add in climate to the polo gti plus so it has the same spec as a golf gti, a manual car will be about £22k BEFORE carwow prices, so probably at least 2k off there. I’m not sure the extra £5k for the golf gti would be worth that 0.3 seconds and 30L of boot space for a car that’s being replaced in 2019 according to rumours. That’s just my opinion though.
VW have done the same trick as last time with the boot. Look at the Spec for SE on price list and it states variable floor (not beats or GTI. Also looking at the you tube reviews this is supported with battery in the boot.

So I would say the Polo GTI boot will be 50-60 litres down on normal Polo.

I think the Golf might be good option after all (but I agree Polo size would be better)
lancslad1985
Gold Member

Post by lancslad1985 »

Well my wife and I went and saw the new polo on Saturday and even had a test drive. Although it's a much better size and the layout inside looks nice, it felt cheap. Lots of hard plastics everywhere, just like the T-roc (which is a shame as the T-roc was a gorgeous car bar the hard plastic). I don't think it helped it was a Beats edition with a black top of the dash, a red flash trim across the middle and then cream plastic everywhere else.

Now for some people this won't matter, but when the interior quality is no better than a Seat Ibiza it does put me off buying one. I have to say that the sticker used on the beats looks quite cheap also to me. I'm hoping that the engine and the kit that comes with the GTI+ will be enough for me to ignore that cheap plastic as the ride was a substantial improvement on the old polo as it's a bigger car.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

lancslad1985 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:55 am Well my wife and I went and saw the new polo on Saturday and even had a test drive. Although it's a much better size and the layout inside looks nice, it felt cheap. Lots of hard plastics everywhere, just like the T-roc (which is a shame as the T-roc was a gorgeous car bar the hard plastic). I don't think it helped it was a Beats edition with a black top of the dash, a red flash trim across the middle and then cream plastic everywhere else.

Now for some people this won't matter, but when the interior quality is no better than a Seat Ibiza it does put me off buying one. I have to say that the sticker used on the beats looks quite cheap also to me. I'm hoping that the engine and the kit that comes with the GTI+ will be enough for me to ignore that cheap plastic as the ride was a substantial improvement on the old polo as it's a bigger car.
Interesting to hear your views on the interior quality lancslad.

Some of the reviewers on YouTube have commented on the hard, scratchy plastic door cards, and from what can be seen from pictures/videos, they do look a bit cheap and nasty. Surely it wouldn’t have cost VW much to incorporate a cloth insert panel like the 6c has? I can’t remember the last time, if ever, that I’ve owned a car with hard plastic door cards. Even in low spec cars that I owned in the 1970’s and 1980’s the door cards were soft padded vinyl.

VW interiors used to feel really premium compared to the competition - the interior quality of my mk4 Golf in the early 2000’s was particularly good. Sadly, more and more these days, decisions will be heavily influenced by the accountants / bean counters within large organisations, and increased profit margins at the expense of product quality will often win the day. I wonder how many lost sales VW will experience if this is the way things are going. The T-roc has been discussed recently over on golfgtiforum.co.uk and the consensus was the quality of the interior plastics was really poor compared to the mk7 and 7.5 Golf.

Interestingly, some of the the new Ibiza models do have a cloth insert panel on the door cards (the ‘warm’ sporty FR does), although the Ibiza does get a hard plastic dash, whereas I believe the Polo dash is soft touch plastic.

Like you, I’m hoping that the higher spec of the GTI+ will enable me to ignore the cheap interior plastics. Or, by the time I change my current car in 2 - 2.5 years time, VW will have upgraded the quality of door cards as part of a model year update to be on a par with the 6c.
PoloBlueGT
Bronze Member
Drives: Landrover Freelander

Post by PoloBlueGT »

I’ve just been into VW Stockport today to have a look at the new shape Polo and as previously mentioned by lancslad1985 there is definetly a more plastic feel than with the previous 6R/6C which is a shame.
As SRGTD has touched up on that VW used to set themselves apart with the quality of their interiors which is why I went for a Blue GT over a Skoda or Seat as the materials and look felt more premium. I don’t think I’ll be getting one of the new shape Polos as it just doesn’t have the same appeal to me as the previous model. I actually prefer the T-Roc to look at over the new Polo but think I might be getting a Golf R or GTI next.
lancslad1985
Gold Member

Post by lancslad1985 »

SRGTD, my wife owns our 6c gti whilst I have a mk 7 golf gtd. I can confirm that the t-roc interior quality is way below the golf and also below the 6c polo. I also had a blue gt previously like you PoloBlueGT and I remember the interior quality in that being pretty good.

I’ve got to admit that I’m seriously thinking about leaving VW this next time, despite loving the brand and wanting a golf gti since I was a kid. Having looked at a mazda cx3 and a Hyundai kona the same day as the t-roc, the quality of these two was superior to the t-roc and polo. VW need to up their game as the supposedly cheaper marquees are nicer than VW these days.
Wolfi
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI

Post by Wolfi »

Before you all run off to your Hyundai's, some perspective... excuse the long post but if you're 50/50 on the new Polo then this may sway you from the dark side!

The Polo is and always will be VW's second cheapest car - it isn't designed to be a Mercedes S Class rival so complaining about not having squishy plastics everywhere in a supermini doesn't make any sense, especially when just a few posts earlier people were moaning about the price! Some balance is best I guess, otherwise you just end up with an overpriced Audi A1 or a tic tac box SEAT Ibiza/Fabia! Like any business, accountants control everything and cars will always be designed to suit a market - for example, if in 2018 the market desires customisation, rakish design and 'connectivity', (think SUV market for T-Roc and to an extent supermini market for Polo) then the budget will be spent on expensive creased body panel design and colourful painted dash designs at the cost of squishy interior plastics and lots of standard equipment. Nearly every manufacturer is quicker to do this than conservative old VW and their fussy board but in the last 18 months VW have woken up to it a lot more - hence why some of you think the way that VW design a car is changing a little bit.

As for the New Polo, it is a shame that VW have done away with the soft fabric on the door arm rest and the roof handles (VW conducted a R&D survey with a study group and found that nobody uses the handles anyway!). I also noticed that there is now no cover over the boot lock on the boot sill but I doubt that 90% of buyers would even notice this change. As far as I can tell, they are about the only ways in which the Polo interior has not been improved. The hard plastic on the top and bottom of the doors really is a non argument because every single Polo has been like that since day dot. That won't ever change because they have to find small incentives for people to still buy Golfs over Polos - tiny differences in interior quality is a good way to go about it when the gap between the models is smaller than before. At the New Polo launch, VW boss Herbert Diess was telling a journo that the Supermini sector is the hardest to make money in as the profit margins are so fine so every cent and euro counts.

To anyone who hasn't yet looked around a new Polo, the door shuts sound even firmer than before, you still get your squishy dash, leather steering wheel/gearknob etc, chunky switchgear and expensive firm weighty feeling on instruments just like before. The soft plastic that houses the main air vents at knee level is a nice touch and makes a change from the 6R/6C where all the fancier materials were at eye level. I noticed that in-car storage was also better. The seats are bigger, more comfortable and feel like they were lifted from a Golf. All of the overhead lighting is from a mk7 Golf/Passat/Tiguan too. Presumably this will be LED on GTI/R Line? The infotainment system is a big step forward - feels just like operating an iPad and looks smart with the gloss black surround and glass screen. This really is an area where VW trounces the competition and only Audi, BMW and Mercedes offer competition. Even the screen resolution, responsiveness and intuitiveness of new Jaguar's are not as good as the 7.5 Golf/Polo infotainment. Only problem with the new Polo system is fingerprints but this is easily resolved with a microfiber. Even the manual dash clocks look smart as they have been tweaked slightly so I see no need for the Active Info Display with these.

Overall the Polo's cabin just looks so much better than before; everything has been really styled and made sharper (even the manual air con switches look better even though they are predominantly the same!) The door handles, buttons - everything - look sharper and slightly sportier, designed aggressively with a bit more of a purpose than before. No doubt that lots of buyers will like the personalisation option of the middle slab in the front that can be customised. While many of the designs aren't for me, VW didn't miss the trick in a market where lots of young buyers are desperate to make their car more individual and colourful from the factory. The boot looks really big for a Polo! What struck me though was the amount of room inside the cabin, especially the rear. Elbow space, leg room and headroom are huge improvements. The driving position is typically spot on from VW with lots of room to get your preferred position. I am 6"3 and I had no head room problems in the back, I would happily do a long journey sat there, unlike the 6C where I am not able to sit straight up without my head touching the roof.

Overall I was impressed by the new Polo's interior. It looks and feels more impressive than before - more 'big car' if you like. It feels more like a Golf than ever before, and in my opinion the whole interior package is pretty much as good as a Golf apart from the door plastic - definitely not worth the £4k extra...
Last edited by Wolfi on Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.