What did you and your Polo do today?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: What did you and your Polo do today?

Post by monkeyhanger »

Leif wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:13 am
monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:22 pm 1. Very easy to cause tramping due to Bridgestone tyres.
What on earth is tramping? I searched online dictionaries but it's not there so it must be slang.
It's when the front wheels wheelspin violently and thump the wheels onto the ground when pulling away from a standstill. Can happen a lot on front wheel drive cars if:

1. You don't rein the power in a little in 1st (and sometimes second once moving).

2. You don't rein in the power a lot - if your tyres offer poor traction (which the Bridgestones do).
Poachersun
New
Drives: 2018 POLO GTI

Post by Poachersun »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:08 am
monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:22 pm 1. Very easy to cause tramping due to Bridgestone tyres.
What on earth is tramping? I searched online dictionaries but it's not there so it must be slang.
It's when the front wheels wheelspin violently and thump the wheels onto the ground when pulling away from a standstill. Can happen a lot on front wheel drive cars if:

1. You don't rein the power in a little in 1st (and sometimes second once moving).

2. You don't rein in the power a lot - if your tyres offer poor traction (which the Bridgestones do).
Wheel hop under full load, get it allot with my mazda 3 turbo, till i upgraded the engine mounts :) Still a little there though.
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

Thanks. But why not call it wheel spin?

If your tyres tend towards wheel spin, doesn't that suggest poor grip in which case they are best swapped out ASAP? I bought some new Kumho KH27 tyres for my Up a few years back, after two rear end skids in a month, including spinning off a large roundabout and onto grass, I got rid of them. I'm not a boy racer.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Leif wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:15 am

If your tyres tend towards wheel spin, doesn't that suggest poor grip in which case they are best swapped out ASAP? I bought some new Kumho KH27 tyres for my Up a few years back, after two rear end skids in a month, including spinning off a large roundabout and onto grass, I got rid of them. I'm not a boy racer.
Because it's different from wheelspin.
It's the front suspension design causing the front wheels to 'jump and down', often making the engine rock violently back and forth as well.
Enough to rip a hose off the turbo and shut the engine down in my Golf 1.8T.
Other cars can wheelspin perfectly smoothly because their suspension design is better.
Last edited by Andy Beats on Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Some front wheel drive cars, it's not endemic to all front wheel drive cars.
Sorry to be a pedant, but I feel it's an important point.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Leif wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:15 am

Grip and traction aren't the same thing. Traction issues cause tramping or make it worse. Every time I've had a VW come on Bridgestones, have had tramping, which has gone when I've got rid of the Bridgestones.

Poor grip will cause the car to twitch or slide when taking a corner. You can have great traction and poor grip at the same time.

I got rid of my MK7 Golf GTD because of the horrible tramping, getting the Golf R as a replacement. The 4WD stops tramping/wheelspin, but the slightly different Bridgestones it came with (RE050A on the R, S001 on the GTD) had poor turn in grip. I got the wheel twitch on a slightly damp roundabout at very low speeds and swapped to Michelin PSS which transformed the car.

In hindsight, I probably should've just bought PSS for the GTD - it was a great car with the tuning box on. 240ps, tons of torque, a clutch that can handle it and 55mpg.

Tramping is a kind of side to side resonance across the front axle that gets worse. While one wheel bounces up in abackward motion, the other is pushing down and forward. It's like the 2 wheels are trying to walk with heavy steps rather than smoothly rotate.

Different cars have different ways to fix, but damping the points of potential resonance is the way to go. Sometimes it's rock hard inflexible tyres like the Bridgestone Potenzas that allow transmission of the resonance and softer tyres act as a dampener.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Strictly on topic what I did today was persevere with the DSG's manual mode all the way home.

One thing that I really did not like was manual mode with stop-start. With stop-start disabled, coming to a stop was nice and smooth knocking down through the gears, all good.

However, when stop-start was active coming to a stop was brutal like that severe and abrupt stop you get when stalling a large engined diesel. I think this is because the car is basically stalling itself.

Stop-start kicks in before the car comes to a halt (usually at about 1.5mph). When you're in auto mode, the car dips the clutch before the engine cuts out. When you're in manual mode you're slowing to a stop with 1st fully engaged and the engine cuts out - effectively stalling the car and you get that violent jolt.

I know other people here have commented that stop-start cuts in before the car has come to a standstill has anyone experimented enough with manual mode to be able to confirm if they can also replicate the stalling I've just described?

I'll have to keep manual mode only when I want to hoof the car at 45mph and not have the car go to 2nd for the briefest moment before going to 3rd (which it should've always gone to).
Scotty_boy vw
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 6C 1ltr TSI/2018 1ltr TSI AW

Post by Scotty_boy vw »

Been very busy since getting my new polo fitting all this!!!!
Rear LED Light Clusters With Double Reverse Light
Rear LED Light Clusters With Double Reverse Light
Genuine Rear View Camera Badge
Genuine Rear View Camera Badge
9C62DEA8-960D-4EDF-8CDB-8E0E9B8C1A65.JPG
Thinkware F770 Front & Rear Dash Cam
Thinkware F770 Front & Rear Dash Cam
Scott
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Scotty_boy vw wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:32 pm Been very busy since getting my new polo fitting all this!!!!
8E35CCBE-B845-4985-8765-8497D3D17519.JPG
32E54552-90FE-4E37-AAD9-0FD66F1ED880.JPG
48277CB5-B9EF-4CCD-8E03-56DBF112B445.JPG

Scott

What did you have to do to get double reversing lights???
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:56 pm I know other people here have commented that stop-start cuts in before the car has come to a standstill has anyone experimented enough with manual mode to be able to confirm if they can also replicate the stalling I've just described?
I tried this tonight and couldn’t replicate what you were experiencing. Kept my car in manual, used DCC to bring the car to a halt / stop / start. Tried manually changed whilst slowing, and also leaving the car in a high gear allowing the car to change down until stationary and the stop start cut in. Nothing I tried was any less smooth than when auto mode was selected..
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

roywolfey wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:14 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:56 pm I know other people here have commented that stop-start cuts in before the car has come to a standstill has anyone experimented enough with manual mode to be able to confirm if they can also replicate the stalling I've just described?
I tried this tonight and couldn’t replicate what you were experiencing. Kept my car in manual, used DCC to bring the car to a halt / stop / start. Tried manually changed whilst slowing, and also leaving the car in a high gear allowing the car to change down until stationary and the stop start cut in. Nothing I tried was any less smooth than when auto mode was selected..
I used the brake to get the car to a reasonably soft stop. Perhaps the DCC slips the DSG's clutch before stop/start kicks in as creeping down to 0mph will take the car longer than using the brake, and maybe the clutch wasn't dipped quick enough through manual braking before the engine cut out effectively still in gear? When you say "manual" you do mean proper slotting the stick to the left and using it to go up and down rather than leaving the gearstick in auto and only using the paddles? Auto with manual paddle control (which the car likes to override) was smooth.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Scotty_boy vw wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:32 pm Been very busy since getting my new polo fitting all this!!!!

Scott
How did you get on with the dashcam Scotty? I completely forgot that I never knocked up an installation guide for hardwiring an F770 front/rear cam set in. The feed into the boot lid from the body was seriously fiddly, compared with the Golf, due to a lack of clippable end cap on both the headlining rear and top of the boot lid.
Scotty_boy vw
Bronze Member

Post by Scotty_boy vw »

silverhairs wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:21 pm

Scott

What did you have to do to get double reversing lights???
You have double reversing lights when you change to these rear Lights.

Scott
Scotty_boy vw
Bronze Member

Post by Scotty_boy vw »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:10 pm

Scott
How did you get on with the dashcam Scotty? I completely forgot that I never knocked up an installation guide for hardwiring an F770 front/rear cam set in. The feed into the boot lid from the body was seriously fiddly, compared with the Golf, due to a lack of clippable end cap on both the headlining rear and top of the boot lid.
I managed to wire it into the fuse box from the back so looks much better than piggybacking.i just took the C Pillar off and pretty much all of the trim down the passenger side!!!

Scott
Attachments
32682B67-6CFB-41C5-8EE8-CBE669FE8B12.jpeg
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:07 pm
roywolfey wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:14 pm
I used the brake to get the car to a reasonably soft stop. Perhaps the DCC slips the DSG's clutch before stop/start kicks in as creeping down to 0mph will take the car longer than using the brake, and maybe the clutch wasn't dipped quick enough through manual braking before the engine cut out effectively still in gear? When you say "manual" you do mean proper slotting the stick to the left and using it to go up and down rather than leaving the gearstick in auto and only using the paddles? Auto with manual paddle control (which the car likes to override) was smooth.
Manual so M is shown in front of the gear selection on the drivers display. I tried both with gear stick over to left and using paddles in auto mode, but I didn't notice any difference.