What did you and your Polo do today?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Re: What did you and your Polo do today?

Post by OomStu_ZA »

phillos wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:54 pm
OomStu_ZA wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:20 pm I find the hatch difficult to close at times, as if the lock doesnt engage correctly. Means I need to almost slam shut every time, meh.
So you just slammed the hatch for an entire day?! :|
Not always no, that said the vehicle is going back to the dealer tomorrow for a number of quirks from factory, the hatch lock being one of them.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:33 pm
phillos wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:54 pm
OomStu_ZA wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:20 pm I find the hatch difficult to close at times, as if the lock doesnt engage correctly. Means I need to almost slam shut every time, meh.
So you just slammed the hatch for an entire day?! :|
Not always no, that said the vehicle is going back to the dealer tomorrow for a number of quirks from factory, the hatch lock being one of them.
Be quick in getting it sorted. I only recently realised that my slightly harder to close than it should be tailgate had been contacting the bumper on closure and chipping the tailgate bottom edge (the chips are tiny).

Obvious build defect my local dealer put a warranty repair request in and VW UK refuse the claim because there's a sneaky sub clause in there that states door adjustment is only good under warranty for the first 6 months/6500 miles. I originally reported it at 5800 miles and 8 months. The clowns at VW UK call centre are just contracted messengers, and you don't get to speak to anyone with any sway in making the actual decisions.

After comparison with a Polo at the dealership and our other GTI+, you can see that the strike plate (the metal loop that the tailgate lock clasps to) is set 4mm further into the car's interior on the problematic tailgate. I adjusted it myself the other day - popping off the trim that makes the boot interior rim and loosening the 2 x T30 screws to adjust the strike plate position outward 3mm and more central in the cutout hole through which it protrudes. I then readjusted the tailgate rubber striker bulbs.

Pre-adjustment, the tailgate was under a hell of a lot tension, being pulled 3mm closer to the body opening to engage the strike plate, while trying to overcome the resistance of the perimeter seal of the opening, and requiring a slam to close the boot.

Since my adjustment, the tailgate can almost close itself under gravity from a horizontal position, and the seals are effectively holding securely to keep the tail gate water and wind proof.

What I have noticed between my 2 GTI+ is that the strike plate has some ability to move as it is screwed to a rubber shim pad, and the adjustable rubber striker bulbs are more squishy on the 2018 model than the 2019 model. You can push the button half of the tailgate against the rubber seals/bulbs, deflecting by about 2mm before the rubber components spring it back outwards.

For the 2019 model, there is no deflection when you push on the tailgate, the bulbs have much less give.
MattHGR
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI+

Post by MattHGR »

monkeyhanger wrote:
OomStu_ZA wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:33 pm
phillos wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:54 pm So you just slammed the hatch for an entire day?! :|
Be quick in getting it sorted. I only recently realised that my slightly harder to close than it should be tailgate had been contacting the bumper on closure and chipping the tailgate bottom edge (the chips are tiny).

Obvious build defect my local dealer put a warranty repair request in and VW UK refuse the claim because there's a sneaky sub clause in there that states door adjustment is only good under warranty for the first 6 months/6500 miles. I originally reported it at 5800 miles and 8 months. The clowns at VW UK call centre are just contracted messengers, and you don't get to speak to anyone with any sway in making the actual decisions.

After comparison with a Polo at the dealership and our other GTI+, you can see that the strike plate (the metal loop that the tailgate lock clasps to) is set 4mm further into the car's interior on the problematic tailgate. I adjusted it myself the other day - popping off the trim that makes the boot interior rim and loosening the 2 x T30 screws to adjust the strike plate position outward 3mm and more central in the cutout hole through which it protrudes. I then readjusted the tailgate rubber striker bulbs.

Pre-adjustment, the tailgate was under a hell of a lot tension, being pulled 3mm closer to the body opening to engage the strike plate, while trying to overcome the resistance of the perimeter seal of the opening, and requiring a slam to close the boot.

Since my adjustment, the tailgate can almost close itself under gravity from a horizontal position, and the seals are effectively holding securely to keep the tail gate water and wind proof.

What I have noticed between my 2 GTI+ is that the strike plate has some ability to move as it is screwed to a rubber shim pad, and the adjustable rubber striker bulbs are more squishy on the 2018 model than the 2019 model. You can push the button half of the tailgate against the rubber seals/bulbs, deflecting by about 2mm before the rubber components spring it back outwards.

For the 2019 model, there is no deflection when you push on the tailgate, the bulbs have much less give.
Would you mind taking a photo of the strike plate so I know I'm looking at the right place?
Also, the bump stops on each side, I presume they are just on a screw thread ?

Cheers
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

MattHGR wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:12 pm Would you mind taking a photo of the strike plate so I know I'm looking at the right place?
Also, the bump stops on each side, I presume they are just on a screw thread ?

Cheers
Here's the well placed one from our 2019 Polo GTI+

Notice the strike plate is pretty central (left to right) and set with the back edge about 4mm from the back of the cut out).

Here's our Red 2018 GTI+, with the strike plate as it was prior to my adjustment. The strike plate is set right at the back of the cut out.

Image.

Here's a pic of the bump stop on the white GTI+ , The bulb part is less squishy than those on the red one.

MattHGR
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI+

Post by MattHGR »

Thanks so much for the info. Might have a look myself this weekend.
I think the strike plate is ok on mine but it's the bulbs that are set out a little too much.
Needs a moderate slam to get it closed.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

MattHGR wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:19 pm Thanks so much for the info. Might have a look myself this weekend.
I think the strike plate is ok on mine but it's the bulbs that are set out a little too much.
Needs a moderate slam to get it closed.
It's all a balancing act between the strike plate and bulbs, and the boot seal around the perimeter of the opening in the middle of it all.

If the strike plate is set too far back (like mine was), you've got to slam the tailgate to overcome the resistance of the boot seals to engage the lock latch, yet have the bulbs sticking out to pull the lower part of the tailgate off the seals far enough for the tailgate to nicely stick out far enough to line up with the rear clusters and main bodywork - and no further.
Pfowler1
New
Drives: Gti

Post by Pfowler1 »

Hi guys I am looking for some advice. It sure if this is the right thread for this but I am new here and still finding my way around I have just bought 2015 polo gti and I absolutely love it. But reading through polo net I have read lots off threads about earlier 6c polo gti's having turbo issues which worries me a bit. especialy because I would like to map it in the future

I was just wandering if I should be concerned I know the cars when they had their issue they were still almost new and had not clocked up a lot off milllage my car had Done 32k miles so if their was a issue do you think it would have happened by now or should I still be worried.
peeceeuk
Bronze Member
Drives: Snazzy red GTi

Post by peeceeuk »

Just did my first 100 mile journey, all motorway of course.
So simple and pleasant.
Went a little over speed limit for a bit and got 46.5 mpg.
Pulled up in the car park to where I'm staying and gave a little push on the accelerator while stationary and got a great pop.
It's the first time I've heard mine do it.
I'm 30 miles off of the 600 mile mark where people have suggested the car starts to loosen up a bit.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

peeceeuk wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:02 pm Just did my first 100 mile journey, all motorway of course.
So simple and pleasant.
Pulled up in the car park to where I'm staying and gave a little push on the accelerator while stationary and got a great pop.
I'm 30 miles off of the 600 mile mark where people have suggested the car starts to loosen up a bit.
621 miles/1000km to loosening up step in engine management - you should notice the difference. After that, as the miles goon, things will loosen up further - my 7300 mile Red GTI+ is markedly looser and more eager under acceleration than our new white one with 700 miles on the clock.

46.5mpg for a maintained 75mph motorway speed sounds about right. I get 45mpg maintaining 80mph, going Newcastle to York (90 miles), Barrywi (I think it was him) reported 53mpg for a 100 mile trip maintaining 70mph.
phillos
Bronze Member
Drives: '19 Polo (AW)

Post by phillos »

Pfowler1 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:10 pm Hi guys I am looking for some advice. It sure if this is the right thread for this but I am new here and still finding my way around I have just bought 2015 polo gti and I absolutely love it. But reading through polo net I have read lots off threads about earlier 6c polo gti's having turbo issues which worries me a bit. especialy because I would like to map it in the future

I was just wandering if I should be concerned I know the cars when they had their issue they were still almost new and had not clocked up a lot off milllage my car had Done 32k miles so if their was a issue do you think it would have happened by now or should I still be worried.
Completely wrong thread and sub-forum mate. This is for the 2018> Polo (AW). Try in the 6C/6R forums.
peeceeuk
Bronze Member

Post by peeceeuk »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:46 pm
peeceeuk wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:02 pm Just did my first 100 mile journey, all motorway of course.
So simple and pleasant.
621 miles/1000km to loosening up step in engine management - you should notice the difference. After that, as the miles goon, things will loosen up further - my 7300 mile Red GTI+ is markedly looser and more eager under acceleration than our new white one with 700 miles on the clock.

46.5mpg for a maintained 75mph motorway speed sounds about right. I get 45mpg maintaining 80mph, going Newcastle to York (90 miles), Barrywi (I think it was him) reported 53mpg for a 100 mile trip maintaining 70mph.
Incredibly consistent mpg.
Did further 80 miles today, almost bang on the same consumption.
630 miles breached now.

Went out to go to work this morning and someone had parked freakishly close to my car.
I mean really freakily close.
They have to have exited via the passenger side.
Attachments
IMG_20190617_103100.jpg
MikeNL
New
Drives: 6R 1.6 TDI

Post by MikeNL »

Fitted the electric folding mirrors, now wanted to start on the volt meter but don't have good links for them :(
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

peeceeuk wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:32 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:46 pm
So simple and pleasant.

Incredibly consistent mpg.
Did further 80 miles today, almost bang on the same consumption.
630 miles breached now.

Went out to go to work this morning and someone had parked freakishly close to my car.
I mean really freakily close.
They have to have exited via the passenger side.
Wow, was there actually any need for them to do that, I hate it when that happens. I take pictures of my cars every time I leave it in a car park now, whether someone is there next to me when I park or not, maybe I'm a bit paranoid!!
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

MilgeS wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:09 pm Wow, was there actually any need for them to do that, I hate it when that happens. I take pictures of my cars every time I leave it in a car park now, whether someone is there next to me when I park or not, maybe I'm a bit paranoid!!
Don’t get me started on public car parks and other driver’s parking skills and (lack of) consideration for others! 😖. Over the years, cars have grown in size but unfortunately, parking spaces don’t seem to have got any bigger, and the standard of some driver’s parking leaves a lot to be desired. Creates the ideal conditions for scratches and door dings, and I’m speaking from experience, and I dare say others on the forum have also suffered a similar fate from the lack of consideration by others.

If I were to give the Astra driver the benefit of the doubt, perhaps when they arrived to park, the space they parked in may have been the last available space. If the car to their left was parked very tight to the R/H side of the space they were in, then the Astra driver may have had no option but to also park very tight to the R/H side of their space, and then exit their car via the passenger door.

On the face of it though, it does look like inconsiderate parking by the Astra driver.
peeceeuk
Bronze Member

Post by peeceeuk »

The car parking spaces here are vast in number.
The 2 spaces to the right of me are empty.
I spotted her returning to her car sometime after I had got back from work.
She was in a uniform so I know she works here.
I was going to go down and present the picture to her and ask why she felt so inclined to park so badly. I resisted the urge.
It is obvious that she wanted a space as close to the entrance as she could find.