What did you and your Polo do today?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
MattHGR
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI+

Re: What did you and your Polo do today?

Post by MattHGR »

phillos wrote:
peeceeuk wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:48 am
phillos wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:52 pm Fiddled around with OBDeleven tonight.. made a couple of changes to my AID. I really like version 1, but 2 and 4 are good as well. The standard red version 3 is ugly.

Changed speedo final value to a more reasonable 260, rather than the stock 280. (There’s even a 300 version :mrgreen: :| )
I also coded 10s instead of 20s steps on the speedo! IMHO much more usable in daily driving.

Pictures of dash versions:
https://imgur.com/gallery/e7mEcoS
Interested in this.
OBDeleven uses a credits system to use some of their one-click changes.
Are these AID changes included in the preset options and if so, how many credits does it take to use them?
These edits I did here, do not require the use of "apps" that costs credits.
You need to change settings in the "Adaptions" part of the "Dashboard (module 17)". In order to do this however, you need to have unlocked the 'pro' version of OBDeleven. Once you know which bits to change, you can change them endlessly to your hearts content 8)

Should I create a small guide?
That would be great !
I was looking at the new obdeleven products, but they just got pulled for terrible manufacturing quality.
I presume you are using the older style model ?
peeceeuk
Bronze Member
Drives: Snazzy red GTi

Post by peeceeuk »

If it is not too much effort then I would appreciate taking a look at an example of what is involved by way of a guide.
phillos
Bronze Member
Drives: '19 Polo (AW)

Post by phillos »

peeceeuk wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:49 pm If it is not too much effort then I would appreciate taking a look at an example of what is involved by way of a guide.
Absolutely, no problem.

Here is a step by step guide on how to change the skins. Each photo has a small description underneath.
It goes without saying that this is on your own responsibility.
https://imgur.com/a/ExucaAT

Important to note that if you own a GTI and want to change 'skin' between more than the red and blue versions, you need to change 'Display depiction' from Version 3 to Version 1, before changing 'Tube_version'. Otherwise it will not work.
peeceeuk
Bronze Member
Drives: Snazzy red GTi

Post by peeceeuk »

Thanks.
Turns out a friend at work has a dongle I can borrow to try out.
MattHGR
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI+

Post by MattHGR »

Had no idea you could do that so easily!
Thought you could only do the apps, check codes or do the complicated long coding.

Thanks for pointing this out [emoji106][emoji16]
Scotty_boy vw
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 6C 1ltr TSI/2018 1ltr TSI AW

Post by Scotty_boy vw »

Added this today....Park Assist 3.0
7765DBF2-FFEE-4046-A35E-49A4DB8D8FFF.jpeg
F1140EC1-D506-47FB-BEE2-226202F1B157.jpeg
EEDB0EF7-66B6-41E9-8432-CB76619D767E.jpeg
F940F3CC-0C99-487B-9311-A3E33DAB0258.jpeg
110B0B94-0322-4170-BA37-717D21DBF399.jpeg
65AB53DD-D5C9-46D7-A2B7-5E6D5869D254.jpeg
A1380D93-3862-4F71-8894-88A363635ED8.jpeg
185461AE-EA3D-4EB9-8B10-D6511BAE9FA5.jpeg
FC812D13-292D-4D76-80F5-4612073CDDEF.jpeg
Scott
fletch555
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by fletch555 »

Scotty_boy vw wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:16 pm Added this today....Park Assist 3.0
Scott
Could you add a guide? I've already got the parking sensors and camera...would love Assist
jsybrian
New
Drives: None

Post by jsybrian »

Hi if someone would be kind enough to tell me where to enable speedometer 10 mph increments with VCDS that would be great.
Thanks in advance.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

I was out in the wife's 2019 GTI+ today, so couldn't help drawing some comparisons between my 2018 GTI+ and her 2019 GTI+.

The 2019 one is consistently 10% thirstier than my 2018 (pre-PPF) one at all stages of the journey. I'm at 9.5k miles, the wife is at 2.5k miles. I don't think the difference is running in differences.

The ambient air into the cabin is noticeably warmer on the wife's car. The ambient temp was an indicated 14C, which should have been pleasantly cool at the coldest setting on the dial without aircon on (I like a cool car), yet the air coming in felt about 20C.

It would have felt a lot cooler in my 2018 model. I have noticed this before in warmer weather. We're not talking greenhouse effect here - the car was parked in the shade all morning before we got in it. Talking about what was physically blowing at me. I do wonder if the ducting arrangement is different on the 2019 model, or if the 2019 PPF engine is set up to run hotter to facilitate PPF regen.

The 2019 model seems to have a more sensitive/eager throttle response right at the bottom end than the 2018 model, but mid range and up, the 2018 model is noticeably more muscular - and I don't think that's all down to running in gains.

The brakes seem grabbier and less progressive on the 2019 model too - that could be wear differences, although at my recent service for the 2018 model, I was told that my brakes were only 10% worn front and back at 9k miles, which does fit with my preservation of momentum driving style.

I do wonder if some of the mpg and performance differences is down to the PPF filling up and increasing back pressure between regen cycles? In theory, the PPF should clear easier than a DPF as the petrol exhaust warms up quicker, with the engine kicking out more heat to the exhaust and transforming less into kinetic energy via combustible expansion - in theory.

Perhaps people using their cars under low load, in traffic, with the car running on the lean diesel-like Budack cycle is not conducive to a quick warm-up for the exhaust (and PPF passive regen). This would be the wife's commute, although it is always eager to switch off under stop-start, which it wouldn't be doing if in the middle of an active PPF regen.

I have seen this on TDIs with DPF. My wife's A1 1.6TDI used to scrape 40mpg on her 8 mile commute. When I started to use it on a regular basis for my (then) 20 mile commute, the DPF was always clean as a whistle - I could thrash that car and still get 65mpg in the Summer, it felt far more powerful and responsive with a DPF kept clean with a journey long enough to facilitate passive regeneration.
phillos
Bronze Member
Drives: '19 Polo (AW)

Post by phillos »

Had the GTI in for service today.

DSG Jerkiness in 3>2 gear changes:

They took a look on the 3>2 jerkiness and found no faults. They also advised against resetting the mechatronic unit, as it was "still adapting to my driving style" :roll: On my way to work afterwards as soon as a started braking in stop and go traffic the hard shifting came back. :evil: At this point I'd rather have the DSG7 (DQ200) smooth gearchanges.... Can't believe I actually want the POS transmission more than this DSG6.

Vibrating/Buzz from soundaktor under accel:
Did a few pulls with a tech and he could clearly hear the buzzing and agreed it was not supposed to say that. They adjusted the SoundAktor down to about 50% (their recommendation) as this supposedly fixed it.
First time I kicked it on the merger lane, lo and behold, the symphany of metallic rattling was back in full effect. At this point I'm just gonna code the thing to 'deactivated' with OBDeleven.

I can't fault the workshop, as they've been nothing but helpful and courteous to me, albeit their remedies havn't actually fixed any problems yet. But really it's not looking to bright for VW and my next purchase.
green justin
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI

Post by green justin »

phillos wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:42 am Had the GTI in for service today.

They took a look on the 3>2 jerkiness and found no faults. They also advised against resetting the mechatronic unit, as it was "still adapting to my driving style" :roll: On my way to work afterwards as soon as a started braking in stop and go traffic the hard shifting came back. :evil: At this point I'd rather have the DSG7 (DQ200) smooth gearchanges.... Can't believe I actually want the POS transmission more than this DSG6.
DSG is sporty by design.

Did a few pulls with a tech and he could clearly hear the buzzing and agreed it was not supposed to say that. They adjusted the SoundAktor down to about 50% (their recommendation) as this supposedly fixed it.
First time I kicked it on the merger lane, lo and behold, the symphany of metallic rattling was back in full effect. At this point I'm just gonna code the thing to 'deactivated' with OBDeleven.

I can't fault the workshop, as they've been nothing but helpful and courteous to me, albeit their remedies havn't actually fixed any problems yet. But really it's not looking to bright for VW and my next purchase.
I also had the buzz vibration sound before but it was related to Apple Car Play Plugged in
Playing Music or some poor radio reception. It’s happens sometimes when you are in sport mode.It sounds like the soundaktor and audio sound from the radio is causing the issue.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

phillos wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:42 am Had the GTI in for service today.

I also had the buzz/vibration from the sound device but in my case the tech/mechanic turned it all the way down.. like to the ground down :P ... but not off "because they not allowed to" and it seriously solved the issue. Never been a hassle again.

That said the real exhaust does sound a bit more yummy in sport mode etc with just over 9000 km's on the clock.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Took the wife's GTI+ down to York from Newcastle. MPG on the way down was a hugely disappointing 41mpg, maintaining 75mph most of the way, 46mpg on the way back. I do wonder whether the poor mg on the way down was due to the PPF not being as clean and free flowing as it could be - my wife does an 8 mile commute each way every day, and used to get poor mpg as a result in her 1.6TDI A1 which used to be regenning the DPF a lot.

Should be clean as a whistle now, having done 180 miles in a day. We were out in it today and I had amber warnings that the ACC system was unavailable briefly. following a descent into a tight bending sliproad off the motorway. Never happened before there, but my old Golf's ACC system was occasionally fooled by similar bends. Anyway, I stopped in traffic soon after and the stop-start kicked in, turning the engine off. When it fired up again, the errors were gone.
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

Acc errors - check your front badge if its clean. This error will be there even if you clean your sensor and go back. Turning engine off and on clean this error on my polo so start stop probably do same thing. ... also acc throw errors in really heavy rain or snow.

About mpg ... it is 2.0tsi not tdi. VW might say it will do 70mpg but in the end burning fuel is old technology and can't be improved endlessly. At this point I would call most car makers bunch of liars which bend nedc and later wltp rules as much as they can.

My polo have consumption around 35 to 40 mpg and done around 20 000km. Iam not expecting anything else since it is hit hatch and not eco friendly, battery powered, tooth brush.
Attachments
Screenshot_20190916-052407_Drivvo.jpg
20190916_052239.jpg
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Dark_cze wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:27 am Acc errors - check your front badge if its clean. This error will be there even if you clean your sensor and go back. Turning engine off and on clean this error on my polo so start stop probably do same thing. ... also acc throw errors in really heavy rain or snow.

About mpg ... it is 2.0tsi not tdi. VW might say it will do 70mpg but in the end burning fuel is old technology and can't be improved endlessly. At this point I would call most car makers bunch of liars which bend nedc and later wltp rules as much as they can.

My polo have consumption around 35 to 40 mpg and done around 20 000km. Iam not expecting anything else since it is hit hatch and not eco friendly, battery powered, tooth brush.
I mainly mentioned mpg because my 2018 Polo GTI+ with no PPF consistently does about 45mpg doing the same journey (86 miles each way), if I'm maintaining 80mph, and about 48mpg maintaining 75mph. Seemed that the wife's GTI+ (2019, with PPF) was thirsty on the way down to York in comparison, perhaps due to having a full PPF and higher back pressure, but was comparable with mine on the way back.

The front badge/ACC sensor was spotlessly clean and the weather was fine and dry at the time the ACC sensor played up.