What did you and your Polo do today?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: What did you and your Polo do today?

Post by monkeyhanger »

Maybe I have a fault then? I think it's crap that stop start kicks in before you come to a complete stop - I wonder if it can be changed?

You can kill stop start off by adjusting the battery voltage threshold for it to stop working to a point that the car can never manage to maintain to keep it running.

Using proper manual mode in crawling traffic is something I can live without.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:32 pm Maybe I have a fault then? I think it's crap that stop start kicks in before you come to a complete stop -
Non DSG cars do this as well, it can be disconcerting.
I'm often in really slow moving traffic, the engine will stop when I'm not actually coming to a stop and the steering will go stiff etc.
Stop should mean stop, not 'nearly stopped'
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:32 pm Maybe I have a fault then?
A violent jolt and a brutal feeling like an engine being stalled when you come to a standstill in manual mode doesn't sound right to me, and having tried, it's not something I can personally replicate. I think it's worth highlighting this to your local VW Service dept. for this.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

roywolfey wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:24 pm
A violent jolt and a brutal feeling like an engine being stalled when you come to a standstill in manual mode doesn't sound right to me, and having tried, it's not something I can personally replicate. I think it's worth highlighting this to your local VW Service dept. for this.
I think I might have it in soon and they can slyly do the seatbelt fix without informing me at the same time. :roll:

I don't think 1st is disengaging before stop-start cuts the engine out while it's still rolling. The whole set-up of stop-start to kill the engine before the car has come to a complete stop is fundamentally wrong.
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:33 pm
roywolfey wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:24 pm
I think I might have it in soon and they can slyly do the seatbelt fix without informing me at the same time. :roll:

I don't think 1st is disengaging before stop-start cuts the engine out while it's still rolling. The whole set-up of stop-start to kill the engine before the car has come to a complete stop is fundamentally wrong.
I agree. I think that the vehicle should have to have come to a complete stop before Start/Stop cuts the engine (and therefore PAS). Mine cut the engine when I was slowing down, but still rolling, to negotiate a speed bump the other evening. :roll:
Incidentally, I haven't received a formal approach regarding the seatbelt fix, and I wonder if it will be done by stealth when it goes on for its first service. :?
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

roywolfey wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:26 pm I agree. I think that the vehicle should have to have come to a complete stop before Start/Stop cuts the engine (and therefore PAS). Mine cut the engine when I was slowing down, but still rolling, to negotiate a speed bump the other evening. :roll:
I was coming to a stop in a queue of traffic last night.
Just as I was thinking about switching to another lane, the stop/start triggered and the steering went stiff. :roll:
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Polovivo
Getting There!
Drives: TSi AW / GTi AW

Post by Polovivo »

Fitted some Leyo Motorsport DSG paddle extenders
Attachments
Paddle Shift Extenders.jpg
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

My polo and I didn't do much today, but the dealer emailed me with a list of registration numbers to pick from, as it's arrived at the dealers now :D
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

silverhairs wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:47 pm My polo and I didn't do much today, but the dealer emailed me with a list of registration numbers to pick from, as it's arrived at the dealers now :D
No clue what the original plate was on mine, private plate on from word go.
Then the dealer fitted plates binned and my own ones fitted (nice plain design, no dealer logos/postcodes etc).
Also slightly naughty spacing on mine, but still legal size and font, so APR or the police haven't bothered me about it in decades.
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Post by Adam_013 »

Is yours leased?

Think I read somewhere that there's a small charge for changing the reg to a private one - thinking of getting myself a nice plate!
Andy Beats wrote:
silverhairs wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:47 pm My polo and I didn't do much today, but the dealer emailed me with a list of registration numbers to pick from, as it's arrived at the dealers now :D
No clue what the original plate was on mine, private plate on from word go.
Then the dealer fitted plates binned and my own ones fitted (nice plain design, no dealer logos/postcodes etc).
Also slightly naughty spacing on mine, but still legal size and font, so APR or the police haven't bothered me about it in decades.
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Adam_013 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:00 pm Is yours leased?
Yes, PCP
I wasn't charged anything to put my private plate on.
Thinking about it, that was probably because the car hadn't been registered at all yet.
So there was no change of plate being made, my plate was the first one on it.
If it had already been allocated a plate, there would have been a DVLA fee and perhaps an admin fee from VW.
When it comes to putting the car back, I will have to pay a DVLA fee to put my plate back on retention.
I've paid far more in DVLA fees over the years than I paid for all three of our private plates.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Today, me and my Polo have mostly been sitting on the drive waiting until I could see out.....
CP_Vaughny
New
Drives: R-Line 2019

Post by CP_Vaughny »

Andy Beats wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:44 pm Today, me and my Polo have mostly been sitting on the drive waiting until I could see out.....
Haha, post of the day!
Scotty_boy vw
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 6C 1ltr TSI/2018 1ltr TSI AW

Post by Scotty_boy vw »

Today I changed my rear diffuser to this one.
7FD531C2-E124-4D32-84EC-25EDDEE76FD9.jpeg
Also added Heated Windscreen Washer Jets.
5AA1FE47-2020-4310-8B94-E9F31EA3E112.jpeg
And also added Rear LED Footwell Lights.
BA6FC20F-3867-4F01-B36F-BC52D74E2161.jpeg
Scott
Attachments
BCB152A1-E612-4D18-A6B0-D48F611C7872.jpeg
8BD2A7C7-C03A-4307-8EFB-0AA573B19258.jpeg
FD32E16A-5B16-4501-9A10-7BE2A336D50E.jpeg