What did you and your Polo do today?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: What did you and your Polo do today?

Post by monkeyhanger »

Took the new white GTI+ down to York for the day, straight through the Tyne Tunnel and down the A19. 42.5mpg on the way down, 41.9mpg on the way back, maintaining 75-80lph on the national speed limit dual carriageway sections, varied my speed a little at times, a bit of engine braking then brisk and moderate acceleration.

Considering the well run in Red GTI+ achieved 45mpg without me varying the speed, I think the White one did well.

Yesterday I got the red one back after it went in for warranty appraisal on Thursday on the tailgate contacting the rear bumper when you close it and chipping the bottom edge of the tailgate in 2 small areas.

Lookers Silverlink apparently adjusted out the rubber striker pads so the tailgate can't contact (a 30 second no tool job). It seemed to require just as much force to close as before (considerably more than the white Polo) With a 1mm thick blob of blu tack, I confirmed that it was still contacting the tailgate when being closed.

I adjusted the stops out 3 clicks further so the gap between the barrel and the bulb were as per the white Polo. It closes much easier.

They said VW UK wouldn't sanction an adjustment after 6 months/6000 miles, and so refused to authorise doing the paintwork fix, despite them confirming the tailgate was contacting the bumper when closing normally.

I said my warranty request was that the car was damaging itself in normal use, and needed rectification, and the adjustment was secondary to that (to prevent recurrence). They told me to ask the supplying dealership to do the fix at their own cost or pay for the damage to be sorted. As they are 200 miles away, that will be awkward to get them to fix. I will be in contact with them if VW UK do deny me a warranty fix.

They had a job sheet that they waved in front of me but wouldn't let me see. I asked for a copy because I was going to raise a complaint with VW UK for denying me what should be a straightforward warranty case.

The Lookers guy went a bit cagey when I mentioned VW UK and insisted that I should approach the supplying dealership. I said that I felt VW UK were shirking their responsibilities in not honouring a claim that Lookers themselves considered genuine.

I suspect that they didn't even contact VW UK, and just sat on my car for 2 days, or made a hash of explaining the defect to put the obligation to pay for it with VW UK.

In an online chat with VW UK yesterday afternoon, a 20 min typed conversation ended with the Asian call centre representative logging my case and promising that a customer services manager will call me within 2 working days to discuss further (should be before the end of play this coming Tuesday).
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

Michelin pilot sport 4 tyres turned up this morning. Having them fitted Saturday afternoon, will be interesting to see if I notice the difference!
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

S_94 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:26 pm Michelin pilot sport 4 tyres turned up this morning. Having them fitted Saturday afternoon, will be interesting to see if I notice the difference!
You definitely will!
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:59 pm Took the new white GTI+ down to York for the day, straight through the Tyne Tunnel and down the A19. 42.5mpg on the way down, 41.9mpg on the way back, maintaining 75-80lph on the national speed limit dual carriageway sections, varied my speed a little at times, a bit of engine braking then brisk and moderate acceleration.

Considering the well run in Red GTI+ achieved 45mpg without me varying the speed, I think the White one did well.

Yesterday I got the red one back after it went in for warranty appraisal on Thursday on the tailgate contacting the rear bumper when you close it and chipping the bottom edge of the tailgate in 2 small areas.

Lookers Silverlink apparently adjusted out the rubber striker pads so the tailgate can't contact (a 30 second no tool job). It seemed to require just as much force to close as before (considerably more than the white Polo) With a 1mm thick blob of blu tack, I confirmed that it was still contacting the tailgate when being closed.

I adjusted the stops out 3 clicks further so the gap between the barrel and the bulb were as per the white Polo. It closes much easier.

They said VW UK wouldn't sanction an adjustment after 6 months/6000 miles, and so refused to authorise doing the paintwork fix, despite them confirming the tailgate was contacting the bumper when closing normally.

I said my warranty request was that the car was damaging itself in normal use, and needed rectification, and the adjustment was secondary to that (to prevent recurrence). They told me to ask the supplying dealership to do the fix at their own cost or pay for the damage to be sorted. As they are 200 miles away, that will be awkward to get them to fix. I will be in contact with them if VW UK do deny me a warranty fix.

They had a job sheet that they waved in front of me but wouldn't let me see. I asked for a copy because I was going to raise a complaint with VW UK for denying me what should be a straightforward warranty case.

The Lookers guy went a bit cagey when I mentioned VW UK and insisted that I should approach the supplying dealership. I said that I felt VW UK were shirking their responsibilities in not honouring a claim that Lookers themselves considered genuine.

I suspect that they didn't even contact VW UK, and just sat on my car for 2 days, or made a hash of explaining the defect to put the obligation to pay for it with VW UK.

In an online chat with VW UK yesterday afternoon, a 20 min typed conversation ended with the Asian call centre representative logging my case and promising that a customer services manager will call me within 2 working days to discuss further (should be before the end of play this coming Tuesday).
I've been delaying putting my car in for the tailgate, seeing as a cloth has fixed it.
But sounds like I better get it booked in if there's a time limit to it.
I'm already over 6 months, but the fault has only just surfaced.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:08 am [

I've been delaying putting my car in for the tailgate, seeing as a cloth has fixed it.
But sounds like I better get it booked in if there's a time limit to it.
I'm already over 6 months, but the fault has only just surfaced.
That was my stance - I was only aware of the paint damage a month ago, when the car went in with Pulman for the virtual cockpit fix. They didn't look at the tailgate because Pulman group don't have their own bodyshop.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

It's booked in for the rattly tailgate on 6th June.
They asked if there were any other issues and I was tempted to mention the misted headlight again, but really cannot be bothered..... :cry:
It can stay misty for all I care any more.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

True to their word, VW UK rang me to discuss my complaint...55 mins of the day I was unavailable while on a flight to Belfast - guess when they rang? :?

Will call them back when I get some info from the wife via the answer phone message they left at home afterwards.
l3rady
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+ 2019

Post by l3rady »

Got my MPS4 tyres fitted to custom alloys for the Polo GTI+. Dealer says the car is still about 2-3 weeks away.

Alloys are CALIBRE SUZUKA 18x8.0 5x100 ET45 Gunmetal 73.1
IMG-20190518-WA0002.jpeg
When the car comes I will be doing a direct swap out and putting the factory wheels and tyres up in the loft.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

l3rady wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:45 am Got my MPS4 tyres fitted to custom alloys for the Polo GTI+. Dealer says the car is still about 2-3 weeks away.

IMG-20190518-WA0002.jpeg

When the car comes I will be doing a direct swap out and putting the factory wheels and tyres up in the loft.
Nice wheels - my favourite colour for alloys as it goes well with most car paint colours. No issues with potential (but quite likely) white worm corrosion in 2-3 years time that diamond cut alloys are so susceptible to either!
l3rady
Bronze Member

Post by l3rady »

SRGTD wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 12:18 pm No issues with potential (but quite likely) white worm corrosion in 2-3 years time that diamond cut alloys are so susceptible to either!
Yeah, that was my primary reason for getting new alloys so not to have to deal with the potential white worm. Also because I'm changing tyres I thought why not put custom alloys on. As alloys go, these were not very pricey so if I do damage them I ain't going to be as gutted if I damaged diamond cut ones.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

l3rady wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:45 am Got my MPS4 tyres fitted to custom alloys for the Polo GTI+. Dealer says the car is still about 2-3 weeks away.

IMG-20190518-WA0002.jpeg

With 8j width wheels and an offset of ET45 instead of stock ET51 and 7 5j you might not have the clearance on the insides of the front wheels on full lock.
l3rady
Bronze Member

Post by l3rady »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 4:04 pm With 8j width wheels and an offset of ET45 instead of stock ET51 and 7 5j you might not have the clearance on the insides of the front wheels on full lock.
I've done a tonne of research and talked to a few people about the fitment and I'm 95% confident that fitment shouldn't be an issue, there is, of course, the chance that these particular allows may not fit but there is no way to test fitment without committing to buying anyway, unless you know someone else with the same setup that can confirm fitment. I've seen a couple of people running 8.0x18 ET45 wheels with 225/40 tyres with no issues on the polo GTI. One of which has shown his setup here on this forum with the addition of 35mm lowering springs.

The seller (RimStyle) also assures me that they fit the car and that their system works out all the possible fitments so I had a wide selection of alloys to choose from. They also have a couple of 19" alloys if you are so inclined and can find the very peculiar tyre size needed to make the setup fit.

Based on my own measurements and thinking I've done the math right, 7.5j ET51 means the hub is 146.25mm from the inside of the wheel and 8j ET45 means the hub is 146.6mm from the inside of the wheel. That's less than half an mm difference. I then make it that the new wheels will stick out an additional 12.7mm. I cannot see that being an issue but who knows, maybe I have the math back to front.

I will, of course, report back how it goes when they go on the car.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

According to the calculator on the Will they Fit? website, the clearance differences of a 8j ET45 wheel compared to a 7.5j ET51 wheel are;

- Inner face will be 0.3mm closer to the suspension strut
- Front face will protrude outwards an extra 12.4mm

I wouldn’t have thought you’d have any issues with clearance of the inner face of the front wheels on full lock.
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

Decided to hold off on fitting the MPS4's until a week Saturday. Heading up to London on Sunday so I may as well keep the Bridgestones on for now instead of adding 400 miles (all round) to the new ones.

Really itching to get them on now though!
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

l3rady wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 4:56 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 4:04 pm With 8j width wheels and an offset of ET45 instead of stock ET51 and 7 5j you might not have the clearance on the insides of the front wheels on full lock.
I've done a tonne of research and talked to a few people about the fitment and I'm 95% confident that fitment shouldn't be an issue, there is, of course, the chance that these particular allows may not fit but there is no way to test fitment without committing to buying anyway, unless you know someone else with the same setup that can confirm fitment. I've seen a couple of people running 8.0x18 ET45 wheels with 225/40 tyres with no issues on the polo GTI. One of which has shown his setup here on this forum with the addition of 35mm lowering springs.

The seller (RimStyle) also assures me that they fit the car and that their system works out all the possible fitments so I had a wide selection of alloys to choose from. They also have a couple of 19" alloys if you are so inclined and can find the very peculiar tyre size needed to make the setup fit.

Based on my own measurements and thinking I've done the math right, 7.5j ET51 means the hub is 146.25mm from the inside of the wheel and 8j ET45 means the hub is 146.6mm from the inside of the wheel. That's less than half an mm difference. I then make it that the new wheels will stick out an additional 12.7mm. I cannot see that being an issue but who knows, maybe I have the math back to front.

I will, of course, report back how it goes when they go on the car.
You're right, I did the calculation backwards on offset. You shouldn't have any snagging, but best to check fronts on front and rear of wheel going through full lock for wheel arch lining rubbing.