What did you and your Polo do today?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
phillos
Bronze Member
Drives: '19 Polo (AW)

Re: What did you and your Polo do today?

Post by phillos »

peter007 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:19 pm Fitted Sparco Podio yesterday :)

18x8 ET45
Michelin SuperSport 225/40/18
H&R -35mm springs

Perfect fit for me [emoji1305][emoji1305]

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk
That looks super! Is it difficult to mount springs yourself? How much do you have to take apart in the front to get the shock strut out?
CJ-77
New
Drives: Polo 1.0TSI SE

Post by CJ-77 »

Gave my car its first bath by me and have found what I can only describe as a......slipped with the screwdriver fitting the number plates gouge about 1.5 inch long :evil:

You can't see it unless you look up from below the number plate level or feel for it. It's going to gnaw away in the back of my mind now.... :roll:
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

CJ-77 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:02 pm Gave my car its first bath by me and have found what I can only describe as a......slipped with the screwdriver fitting the number plates gouge about 1.5 inch long :evil:

You can't see it unless you look up from below the number plate level or feel for it. It's going to gnaw away in the back of my mind now.... :roll:
Get it back to the dealers. They might admit to it or say "I don't think it's us, but we'll sort it for you." They might just send you on your way with a flea in your ear. Nothing yo lose by keeping your cool and going to ask them to sort it due to it being highly likely it's them with the place the gouge is at.
CJ-77
New

Post by CJ-77 »

Cheers, monkeyhanger. I'm going to give my salesman a ring tomorrow to ask about these Polo recalls and will bring it up and see what he says.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

CJ-77 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:01 pm Cheers, monkeyhanger. I'm going to give my salesman a ring tomorrow to ask about these Polo recalls and will bring it up and see what he says.
I had a similar issue years ago with a 2001 Polo 1.9TDI in Diamond Black that I bought new from Benfield (now Lookers). First wash, almost a week after buying, I noticed a straight line crease on the wheel arch of the front passenger wing - as if it had been pressed incorrectly at the factory, painted up perfectly with the rest of the car and then passed the manufacturing site's own QC as well as the dealership's PDI.

If PDI don't pick it up, VW absolved itself of blame, and so the dealership had to do the work free of charge after conceding that the paintwork was perfect and therefore the crease was there during manufacture. They never did get the paint match quite right, even after 3 attempts - which erked me the whole time I had it.

Sometimes you just don't know how new and unmolested your "new" car is. 3 years after buying my Golf R new, my wife badly scraped a wheel when a bus came out of a side road and swung straight into her path. I was amazed how deep the scrape was, yet still only within the depth of the paint. You could see from the cross section of a chip that the wheel had been refurbed (without removing the original paint), as it had 5 paint layers, not the expected 3. Would never had known if the wheel never got scraped.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Started up the Polo this morning and the active info screen was blank for all of 15 seconds as I drove off, with just the engine management yellow/amber light flashing. Then the active info screen came back and the warning light went out.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:08 am Started up the Polo this morning and the active info screen was blank for all of 15 seconds as I drove off, with just the engine management yellow/amber light flashing. Then the active info screen came back and the warning light went out.
What was the ambient temperature monkeyhanger? (It was quite cold in the east of England this morning). I’m wondering if the AID will be prone to suffering the same ‘blank screen’ problems that some of the MIB 1 and 2 infotainment screens did (do) in the mk7 Golf and 6c Polo when the ambient temperature is very low.
peter007
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI 2018

Post by peter007 »

R15KXK wrote:Looks wicked peter, I will be lowering mine soon and changing rims. glad to see one in the same colour and shape lowered now definitely want to get it done
Thanks a lot! Its not finished project yet, there will be new splitters and wrapping so wait for it [emoji41]

peter007
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI 2018

Post by peter007 »

Polovivo wrote:
peter007 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:19 pm Fitted Sparco Podio yesterday :)

18x8 ET45
Michelin SuperSport 225/40/18
H&R -35mm springs

Perfect fit for me [emoji1305][emoji1305]
Looks great.
I see that you are running 225 width tyres, hows the ride and steering feel with these?

For me the ride is perfect, and with Michelin SuperSport tyres handles like a dream! Much higher corner speeds, and comfort is good as well :)

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

SRGTD wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:33 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:08 am Started up the Polo this morning and the active info screen was blank for all of 15 seconds as I drove off, with just the engine management yellow/amber light flashing. Then the active info screen came back and the warning light went out.
What was the ambient temperature monkeyhanger? (It was quite cold in the east of England this morning). I’m wondering if the AID will be prone to suffering the same ‘blank screen’ problems that some of the MIB 1 and 2 infotainment screens did (do) in the mk7 Golf and 6c Polo when the ambient temperature is very low.
It was 4C - no ice on the car, so suspect it hadn't got much colder than that overnight. Never had the issue before on colder starts.

I suppose that's the risk with replacing dials with screens -if the screen goes, you don't know exactly how fast you're driving.
peeceeuk
Bronze Member
Drives: Snazzy red GTi

Post by peeceeuk »

On my 2015 Polo the infotainment is terrible if it is cold.
Does all manner of things of its own accord and does not respond to touch.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

I've no problems with the screen on my 2018 Polo, but the OS doesn't half get itself in a state sometimes.
I remember my daughter and I both plugged our phones into the USBs a while back, the screen went blank and I was left with nothing for a good 20 minutes or so.
It's not the first time it's gone blank and needed to reboot itself.
fazzy
Bronze Member
Drives: GTi++/TT/TDi/190E

Post by fazzy »

peter007 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:15 pm For me the ride is perfect, and with Michelin SuperSport tyres handles like a dream! Much higher corner speeds, and comfort is good as well :)

Peter, can you post a picture of the wheels on the car at an angle? It's an 8" rim with 45 offset. Curious how it lines up with the bodywork.
Thanks.
CJ-77
New

Post by CJ-77 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:08 pmGet it back to the dealers. They might admit to it or say "I don't think it's us, but we'll sort it for you." They might just send you on your way with a flea in your ear. Nothing yo lose by keeping your cool and going to ask them to sort it due to it being highly likely it's them with the place the gouge is at.
Just to update this. I did as you suggested, monkeyhanger and my dealer fixed it with no issues whatsoever. Looks like they did a nice job too. Weather is grim ATM so will have a better look/take a pic later.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

CJ-77 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:14 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:08 pmGet it back to the dealers. They might admit to it or say "I don't think it's us, but we'll sort it for you." They might just send you on your way with a flea in your ear. Nothing yo lose by keeping your cool and going to ask them to sort it due to it being highly likely it's them with the place the gouge is at.
Just to update this. I did as you suggested, monkeyhanger and my dealer fixed it with no issues whatsoever. Looks like they did a nice job too. Weather is grim ATM so will have a better look/take a pic later.
Clearly a dealership that wants repeat business and to retain your servicing/warranty work. Good result.