What did you and your Polo do today?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Re: What did you and your Polo do today?

Post by MilgeS »

S_94 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:21 pm
MilgeS wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:16 pm
S_94 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:51 pm Today I gave my Polo it's first proper clean. First time I've actually cleaned a car myself. Quite happy with the results and a good learning curve as there's definitely things I'd do differently for the next wash! Took about an hour and a half in total. Didn't wax the car but might give that a go next time. Thanks to the guys on the forum for advice regarding products and techniques.

Some photos:
Looking good :-) Would look even better with the tyres dressed, just to finish it off :-)
Thanks mate! Any products you recommend for that? :)
At the moment I'm using Autoglym Tyre dressing spray as I had it as a gift, it's pretty good but not accurate as a spray. I usually use Meguiars tyre gel, applied with a bit of sponge, just grab a large £1 sponge somewhere and cut it into a usable size, it's perfect for applying tyre gel and cheap as chips :-)
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

SRGTD wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:26 pm @S_94; looks very good for a first attempt.

In your third picture, it looks as if your front towing hook cover doesn’t sit completely flush with the bumper, so it’s probably either worked loose or wasn’t clipped in properly when it was fitted, so you might want to push it back in place.

I use this as a tyre dressing;

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/finishka ... e-dressing

As well as being a tyre / rubber trim dressing it can also be used on black plastic trim such as the sill extensions, rear bumper diffuser and lower front bumper lip. It leaves a nice finish that isn’t too shiny and for a rubber and plastic dressing, has quite good durability too. I apply it with one of these;

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/trim-tyr ... applicator
Thanks SRGTD! Tiring work but really nice to admire the end result.

Oh yeah I didn't notice that, thanks for pointing that out will go and push it back in.

Brilliant will add those products to the list. I'm guessing people who have been doing this for a while have tons of products/accessories... :lol:
MilgeS wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:56 pm At the moment I'm using Autoglym Tyre dressing spray as I had it as a gift, it's pretty good but not accurate as a spray. I usually use Meguiars tyre gel, applied with a bit of sponge, just grab a large £1 sponge somewhere and cut it into a usable size, it's perfect for applying tyre gel and cheap as chips :-)
Cheers MilgeS will check that out as well. :)
MilgeS
Silver Member

Post by MilgeS »

Brilliant will add those products to the list. I'm guessing people who have been doing this for a while have tons of products/accessories... :lol:
MilgeS wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:56 pm At the moment I'm using Autoglym Tyre dressing spray as I had it as a gift, it's pretty good but not accurate as a spray. I usually use Meguiars tyre gel, applied with a bit of sponge, just grab a large £1 sponge somewhere and cut it into a usable size, it's perfect for applying tyre gel and cheap as chips :-)
Cheers MilgeS will check that out as well. :)
[/quote]
Be warned, it can become addictive! I just like trying new things and having a clean car inside and out, much easier nowadays than when I was a teenager, that old Turtle Wax took some strong arms back in the day!
Attachments
20190622_204708.jpg
20190622_204730.jpg
proalves
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI AW1 2019

Post by proalves »

Quite addictive indeed. :D
This is what I did today to my Polo GTI ...
lavagem.jpg
When I got the treatment I used on the outside for body protection, it was this one.
exterior.jpg
For the exterior windscreen glass, windows and panoramic sunroof.
Windows.jpg
inside these.
interior.jpg
And tons of microfibre cloths, and many more are part of the arsenal. :D
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

proalves wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:52 pm Quite addictive indeed. :D
It certainly is addictive. I like Collinite wax. I have Collinite 845 insulator wax in my detailing Arsenal. 845 is pretty much the liquid version of the 476s paste wax. As it’s liquid it’s easy to apply and buff off, is inexpensive and has great durability; a couple of thinly applied coats give around six months good protection so a bottle lasts a long time.

I also use Poorboys Natural Look on the interior surfaces as it leaves a nice non-shiny, factory finish. I like the marzipan smell too! 🙂.

All these clean, shiny cars are making me feel guilty about mine - hopefully rectified this coming week.
MilgeS
Silver Member

Post by MilgeS »

It certainly is addictive. I like Collinite wax. I have Collinite 845 insulator wax in my detailing Arsenal. 845 is pretty much the liquid version of the 476s paste wax. As it’s liquid it’s easy to apply and buff off, is inexpensive and has great durability; a couple of thinly applied coats give around six months good protection so a bottle lasts a long time.

I also use Poorboys Natural Look on the interior surfaces as it leaves a nice non-shiny, factory finish. I like the marzipan smell too! 🙂.
[/quote]
I'm going to have to hunt down some Collinite, I've always heard how good it is but I tend to use a Quick Detailer after washing the car as a drying aid so I get a bit of protection top up every wash and it helps dry the car quicker too, I'm lazy!!
proalves
Getting There!

Post by proalves »

MilgeS wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:00 am I'm going to have to hunt down some Collinite, I've always heard how good it is but I tend to use a Quick Detailer after washing the car as a drying aid so I get a bit of protection top up every wash and it helps dry the car quicker too, I'm lazy!!
I have used Collinite wax for quite some time now and what can I say, despite the "work". :wink:
The results are excellent in terms of body protection and it facilitates a lot in the subsequent washings, I highly recommend. 8)
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Just gave the white GTI+ a thorough wash, a coat of Collinite wax and some Simoniz tyre conditioning spray.

White paint is a PITA to see where you've applied wax and where you haven't. Similarly, knowing when you've got all the residue off. Hard to remember where you've got up to with 2 whiny kids in the garden! :lol:
MilgeS
Silver Member

Post by MilgeS »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:40 pm White paint is a PITA to see where you've applied wax and where you haven't. Similarly, knowing when you've got all the residue off. Hard to remember where you've got up to with 2 whiny kids in the garden! :lol:
It is isn't it, the only good thing is nobody will be able to say "you missed a bit!"
proalves
Getting There!

Post by proalves »

MilgeS wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:47 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:40 pm White paint is a PITA to see where you've applied wax and where you haven't. Similarly, knowing when you've got all the residue off. Hard to remember where you've got up to with 2 whiny kids in the garden! :lol:
It is isn't it, the only good thing is nobody will be able to say "you missed a bit!"
By the way, it's funny, I've already found myself for months afterwards to find traces of wax that I let pass... :lol:

The white car has this thing making the remains of the wax indistinguishable. :x
Blackpug
New
Drives: Car

Post by Blackpug »

I’ve had a few white cars over the years. Every time I say ‘I’m not getting another one’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
proalves
Getting There!

Post by proalves »

Just like me and I end up always buying white... :lol:
phillos
Bronze Member
Drives: '19 Polo (AW)

Post by phillos »

proalves wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:45 pm Just like me and I end up always buying white... :lol:
This is my third blue car.

Silk blue Polo bluemotion, silk blue Polo BlueGT, now Reef blue Polo GTI! :oops:

My GMT Batman is, if you know watches, blue.

I’m a blue guy!
Griff74
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTi+ in Reef blue

Post by Griff74 »

Gave my Gti it's first wash today, nothing too much, just a good wash and rub down with some QD -
Attachments
20190629_120239.jpg
20190629_103541.jpg
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Griff74 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:57 pm Gave my Gti it's first wash today, nothing too much, just a good wash and rub down with some QD -
Looks good, and good to see a fellow snow-foamer! 👍. Reef Blue does look good in the sunshine 😎.

I live in a hard water area, so at this time of year I have to time my car washing to either early morning or a cloudy day, so the sun doesn’t dry the rinse water on the paintwork and leave those annoying hard water spots.