What did you and your Polo do today?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Re: What did you and your Polo do today?

Post by Leif »

peter007 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:13 am
silverhairs wrote:Different angles???? If you look at the position of the car against the background, plus the lowering of the car 50mm? then look at the fluorescent tube on the front side window. it's a reflection because it's also on the door panel just below the window. But why is the reflection a lot darker in the second photo?

You could say "smoke and mirrors"
I have no idea and honestly I dont care [emoji23] front windows are not tinted. I dont know why there is such a vigorous discussion about this [emoji23]

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk
This is the internet, people like to argue and get one up on others.

The stock side windows have a slight tint, even though you don’t request it, so errrmmmm I think in this case both sides of the argument are correct. Maybe I should take up a career as a mediator for ending wars and hostage situations?
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Leif wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:37 pm
peter007 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:13 am
silverhairs wrote:Different angles???? If you look at the position of the car against the background, plus the lowering of the car 50mm? then look at the fluorescent tube on the front side window. it's a reflection because it's also on the door panel just below the window. But why is the reflection a lot darker in the second photo?

You could say "smoke and mirrors"
I have no idea and honestly I dont care [emoji23] front windows are not tinted. I dont know why there is such a vigorous discussion about this [emoji23]

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk
Maybe I should take up a career as a mediator for ending wars and hostage situations?
Or maybe you're Kermit the Frog between Waldorf and Statler?
fazzy
Bronze Member
Drives: GTi++/TT/TDi/190E

Post by fazzy »

blackertracker wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:54 pm That looks so much better than the standard grill, excellent idea.
I remember when I had my first car, it was then a new 1991 VW Jetta CLi. Some of the coolest options were to colour code the side mirrors because they were black from the factory and "bad-look' strip which was also colour-coded :) This mod is exactly the opposite :) History has made a full circle :) Personally, I prefer the colour coding :)
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

fazzy wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:08 am I remember when I had my first car, it was then a new 1991 VW Jetta CLi. Some of the coolest options were to colour code the side mirrors because they were black from the factory and "bad-look' strip which was also colour-coded :) This mod is exactly the opposite :) History has made a full circle :) Personally, I prefer the colour coding :)
I like this 'alternate colour' phase that cars are going through just now, prefer it to colour coding.
Loved the black with orange roof and mirrors of our Renault Captur.
Really like the gloss black wheel arches and plastic trims I've seen on Audi Q cars.
If I was sure we are keeping our Kia Sportage, I'd really like the plastic/arches on that coated gloss black.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Getting Michelin PS4 tyres fitted as we speak...
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:16 pm Getting Michelin PS4 tyres fitted as we speak...
Would love to know how they compare to the stock tires monkey. :)
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

S_94 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:43 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:16 pm Getting Michelin PS4 tyres fitted as we speak...
Would love to know how they compare to the stock tires monkey. :)
I've done about 14 Miles on them.

Bought in Costco, but they won't fit 225s to a car that has 215s, so bought to take away £90 each without fitting. Was going to get a local wheel refurb guy who's a friend of a friend, but 2 miles towards home from Costco Gateshead, I passed TAM Tyres and ask if they'd fit. They said yes. I was their last job of the day so I helped out getting the wheels off when the car was jacked and helped getting the wheels back on. £10 a corner fitting and I was done. Washed my filthy hands (mucky wheels) with their swarfega in a sink at the tyre place that looked like it was meant to accompany the Trainspotting toilet (their toilet was surprisingly clean looking).

Even though I checked front clearances at full lock and rear arch liner clearances (including the liner rear drivers side that I pulled in a bit), there's still a bit of paranoia that you've missed something, so the radio was off and I was listening hard all the way home (10 miles).

Only had a few opportunities to go from a standstill. The car still tramped in 1st from standstill in the dry (less severely), but requiring 50% throttle (vs 30% with Bridgestones for it to happen. At this point the car had done 5 miles - I'd not consider them fully scrubbed in until they've been on 200 miles.

The car has noticeably less tyre roar, has a more compliant ride. So I was home, content that nothing is, or will rub, after doing a full lock 3 point turn (Even though I measured and was sure it wouldn't).

After getting the kids to bed, the missus fancies a takeaway for tea, so I was looking to give it another go, drive a bit harder on my 6 mile round trip. It had started to rain. The tyres don't have more of a tendency to tramp in the dry than the wet.

Flooring it at 15mph, accelerating in 2nd (in the wet) results in no tramp at all, the Bridgestones would have tramped at about 40% throttle. Acceleration is much snappier, Less feathering in of the gear change - so I'm assuming that the feathering in previously seen on the Bridgestones is a function of the traction control system rather than a trait of the gearbox.

Can't wait to see what a difference these tyres make when fully scrubbed in, but right now it seems that it was £400 well spent to improve the car. Why VW chooses to put crap tyres on the performance models is beyond me - its like making Usain Bolt sprint with Clogs on.

Even on the Ford Transit van you can opt for better rubber with a surcharge of about £100 on the minibus models.

Should be able to report any positive or negative effect on fuel economy tomorrow if I don't put my foot down too much.

I bet the buggers are on a Costco £80 cashback offer in a fortnight's time!
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:05 pm Why VW chooses to put crap tyres on the performance models is beyond me - its like making Usain Bolt sprint with Clogs on.
Word is the Falken tyres on the lesser models are equally rubbish, I changed to Michelin cross-climate from new and can't comment.
I used to be sponsored by a tyre company (Avon) when I raced bikes and I had an interesting discussion with one of their tyre techs once.
He said bike and car manufacturers, when choosing OE tyres, only really care about two things.

1. Cost
2. Straight line stability

Stability comes long before grip, because if you crash your bike/car on a straight and start claiming it was because the steering went funny, fingers are pointed at the car and tyres and lawyers get involved.
If you crash on a corner, you just look like a numpty.
Last edited by Andy Beats on Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
l3rady
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+ 2019

Post by l3rady »

@monkeyhanger what was your reasoning for going for 225's instead of 215's the car is rated for?

I can see that buying the wider 225's can save about £30/tyre which is great but doesn't that effect fitment on the rims? Did you stick with the same Height/Profile or did you go for a different one to offset the extra width? If you stuck with /40 then that's only a 6mm width increase but that is still a 4.65% increase in width, which from what I've been told, you should not increase more than 1.5% over the factory dimensions. I'm not sure how true that is, or if I have done my maths right but would love to know since when I get my GTI+ I plan on switching out to some PS 4's too, and a £30/tyre saving is not to be passed up.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

l3rady wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:28 am @monkeyhanger what was your reasoning for going for 225's instead of 215's the car is rated for?

I can see that buying the wider 225's can save about £30/tyre which is great but doesn't that effect fitment on the rims? Did you stick with the same Height/Profile or did you go for a different one to offset the extra width? If you stuck with /40 then that's only a 6mm width increase but that is still a 4.65% increase in width, which from what I've been told, you should not increase more than 1.5% over the factory dimensions. I'm not sure how true that is, or if I have done my maths right but would love to know since when I get my GTI+ I plan on switching out to some PS 4's too, and a £30/tyre saving is not to be passed up.
Depending on the tyre (in this case Michelin PS4, as cheap as the consumer can buy them) , the difference is £40 a tyre between 215/40 R18 and 225/40 R18.

The Brescia wheel size is 7.5J × 18", which is the same size as the Golf GTI's 18" Parker wheel. So the 225/40 R18 tyre is fine for the Brescia wheel, some might argue that the 215/40 R18 tyre is at a slight stretch on that wheel.

Only problem with an extra 10mm width is clearance, which is fine, front and back ,(once I'd sorted that rear arch lining flare out). The fitted wheels extra tyre width mainly amounts to a more generous outer lip to guard against wheel stuffing and less taper in of the sidewall to the tread face.

Your maths is a bit off on your diameter of wheel calculations. Excluding tread back height, the diameter is 2 x sidewall profile + wheel diameter.

The 215/40 R18 tyre on wheel gives a diameter of 629.2mm, there's 4mm more profile on tyre wall height for the 225s (40% of 10mm = 4mm), so overall diameter increases by 8mm. 8mm over 629.2mm is a 1.27% increase in diameter - well within allowances and a smaller difference than between a new 215/40 tyre and the same tyre worn to the legal limit.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Are you bothering telling your insurance?
There's some stuff I wouldn't bother telling insurance about, but tyre size is too easily spotted by an assessor.
l3rady
Bronze Member

Post by l3rady »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:04 pm Depending on the tyre (in this case Michelin PS4, as cheap as the consumer can buy them) , the difference is £40 a tyre between 215/40 R18 and 225/40 R18.

The Brescia wheel size is 7.5J × 18", which is the same size as the Golf GTI's 18" Parker wheel. So the 225/40 R18 tyre is fine for the Brescia wheel, some might argue that the 215/40 R18 tyre is at a slight stretch on that wheel.

Only problem with an extra 10mm width is clearance, which is fine, front and back ,(once I'd sorted that rear arch lining flare out). The fitted wheels extra tyre width mainly amounts to a more generous outer lip to guard against wheel stuffing and less taper in of the sidewall to the tread face.

Your maths is a bit off on your diameter of wheel calculations. Excluding tread back height, the diameter is 2 x sidewall profile + wheel diameter.

The 215/40 R18 tyre on wheel gives a diameter of 629.2mm, there's 4mm more profile on tyre wall height for the 225s (40% of 10mm = 4mm), so overall diameter increases by 8mm. 8mm over 629.2mm is a 1.27% increase in diameter - well within allowances and a smaller difference than between a new 215/40 tyre and the same tyre worn to the legal limit.
Thanks for the feedback. To be clear, my measurements were calculating the width increase not the diameter of the wheel. I still make it 6mm increase in width with 4.65% increase in tyre width. I agree with your measurements that you wheel diameter has increased by 8mm giving a diameter increase of 1.27%. I thought the max 1.5% rule that I was told was on width, not diameter. Again I'm happy to be wrong and as you have found a saving of £160 for all four tyres I'd like to do the same but I do worry that fitting an extra 6mm of width on rims that were made for 215/40 tyres cannot be good. As the wheel size is 7.5J x 18" and if the reason VW chose to fit 215/40 tyres was because of clearance in the wheel arches and that 225/40 tyres have been run on these rims on the golf then I see no reason why 225/40s cannot be used on the polo GTI if the clearance is sorted.

Also, I'm interested in hearing what others think about what Andy has mentioned about insurers? Do they need to be told about this? Afterall it would be a modification away from the factory spec.
l3rady
Bronze Member

Post by l3rady »

Looking at a tyre size for rim size calculator it would appear that a 7.5J rim will take anything between 205mm-235mm with a 215 and 225 being an ideal fit. so 225 looks good to me.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

l3rady wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:11 pm Also, I'm interested in hearing what others think about what Andy has mentioned about insurers? Do they need to be told about this? Afterall it would be a modification away from the factory spec.
Chances are they won't charge any extra at all, as long as the tyres are fine for the rim and aren't 'stretched' and they are the correct load/speed rating.
But still better to tell them, as it absolutely is a modification from standard.
l3rady
Bronze Member

Post by l3rady »

@monkeyhanger just seen this: https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/michel ... ry-3184920,

offer seems comparable to Costcos offering, damn wish I had my GTI now but still got 2-3 months wait... wonder if I should buy now and store them in the shed for when the car arrives..?
Last edited by l3rady on Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.