What did you and your Polo do today?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Scotty_boy vw
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 6C 1ltr TSI/2018 1ltr TSI AW

Re: What did you and your Polo do today?

Post by Scotty_boy vw »

Today I retro fitted ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control)

Amazing piece of kit.this has been the longest and hardest mod so far in terms of getting it working!!

Scott
Attachments
80C0CF7D-65EC-4AA7-8833-13211F177395.jpeg
CAEFCA27-05C0-4234-8EAF-C59E445D1F4F.jpeg
01491BFE-45B4-4D82-AC7E-981A3FF7ECC2.jpeg
MattHGR
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI+

Post by MattHGR »

Awesome! I do love acc.

On another note, have you looked into comma ai?

I want to retrofit lane keep assist like you have, but just the wiring harness and coding.
Then get the comma to connect to the harness for full autonomous driving.

If you wouldn't mind, could you share some articles that you followed to get lane keep set up? I presume it was for a golf?

Cheers,
Matt

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk

Teee
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo gti +

Post by Teee »

Scotty_boy vw wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 11:19 pm Today I retro fitted ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control)

Amazing piece of kit.this has been the longest and hardest mod so far in terms of getting it working!!

Scott
Your an absolute legend 😂 your cars got better spec then most polo GTi’s ,hats off to you buddy 😎
Scotty_boy vw
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 6C 1ltr TSI/2018 1ltr TSI AW

Post by Scotty_boy vw »

Thanks guys i love using this all the time

scott :D
Teee
Bronze Member

Post by Teee »

Today I made a custom number plate by trimming a regular 110mm plate down to 80mm and sticking some smaller 3D letters normally used on motorcycles on to the plate . I got Inspired from a polo Gti I’d seen on instagram

I also installed led reverse lights thanks to @j+silva for the link & no dashboard warnings etc they are super bright 😎
Attachments
9D853B18-1FF3-4C28-8813-188F3AC464BD.jpeg
92C66D8C-2F77-43BB-B76A-616E2DA2EF13.jpeg
85057F99-78EC-49F9-8975-9ECFCD0882EA.jpeg
CE08483E-9038-48C2-A12C-214F3C39320F.jpeg
POLO Clive
Silver Member
Drives: Polo SEL 1.0 TSI 115PS

Post by POLO Clive »

Teee wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:12 pm Today I made a custom number plate by trimming a regular 110mm plate down to 80mm and sticking some smaller 3D letters normally used on motorcycles on to the plate . I got Inspired from a polo Gti I’d seen on instagram
I've done similar with my front number plate, but I've retained the correct sized numbers/letters > viewtopic.php?f=71&t=70450&start=585#p568980
Teee
Bronze Member

Post by Teee »

POLO Clive wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:50 pm
Teee wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:12 pm Today I made a custom number plate by trimming a regular 110mm plate down to 80mm and sticking some smaller 3D letters normally used on motorcycles on to the plate . I got Inspired from a polo Gti I’d seen on instagram
I've done similar with my front number plate, but I've retained the correct sized numbers/letters > viewtopic.php?f=71&t=70450&start=585#p568980
Oh yeah, I didn’t even spot that until you mentioned it ..if I ever get pulled For the number plate I’m just gonna trim my old plates down like yours, basically shave a bit of the top and bottom & make it 80mm with the correct size font
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

Is that even legal in UK? Highly illegal in my country, so much illegal that it would cost me my driving licence. :D
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

Might be the camera angle but that 'W" on the front plate looks like it could be difficult to read.
POLO Clive
Silver Member
Drives: Polo SEL 1.0 TSI 115PS

Post by POLO Clive »

Dark_cze wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:12 am Is that even legal in UK? Highly illegal in my country, so much illegal that it would cost me my driving licence. :D
Well I'm not 100% sure about mine, I have the correct size numbers and letters, and I have the legally required text on the bottom of the plate, so I believe it's legal. Unfortunately the way Teee has done his is illegal, but in the UK I don't think the penalty is as severe as loss of driving licence.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Dark_cze wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:12 am Is that even legal in UK? Highly illegal in my country, so much illegal that it would cost me my driving licence. :D
Probably not. If it is illegal in Czech Republic, it must be illegal here - your driving laws generally seem much more relaxed than ours.

However, the likelihood of getting caught between MOTs (our annual roadworthiness check once a car reaches 3 years old) is pretty low. We have a very low Police presence on the road in the UK (budget cutbacks), relying on cameras to catch speeders. Red light jumping and generally bad/reckless driving that doesn't involved speeding past a camera isn't generally caught and dealt with unless there's been an accident.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

S_94 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:41 am Might be the camera angle but that 'W" on the front plate looks like it could be difficult to read.
Yes, and in a lockdown with fewer vehicles on the roads, there’s probably an increased (albeit probably unlikely) chance of being stopped by some over zealous police officer for minor infringements of the law associated with the size and spacing of characters on number plates, plates not displaying the required text / information at the bottom of the plate etc.

I’m happy with my standard number plates - they serve the intended purpose, but it’s good we don’t all like the same things otherwise life would get boring. If I wanted to do something different with my number plates and still ensure they were legal, I think I’d consider something like this;

https://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/product/ ... ates-pair/

or this;

https://www.3dgelplates.co.uk/product/g ... road-legal

I’m personally not keen on 3D 4D plates with the raised, stick on letters and numbers as they’re more difficult to clean than the standard flat Perspex plates fittted by the dealer. Lots of places for dirt to get trapped around the letters and numbers - especially the rear plate which gets quite dirty when driving in wet weather.
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

SRGTD wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:07 am
S_94 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:41 am Might be the camera angle but that 'W" on the front plate looks like it could be difficult to read.
Yes, and in a lockdown with fewer vehicles on the roads, there’s probably an increased (albeit probably unlikely) chance of being stopped by some over zealous police officer for minor infringements of the law associated with the size and spacing of characters on number plates, plates not displaying the required text / information at the bottom of the plate etc.

I’m happy with my standard number plates - they serve the intended purpose, but it’s good we don’t all like the same things otherwise life would get boring. If I wanted to do something different with my number plates and still ensure they were legal, I think I’d consider something like this;

https://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/product/ ... ates-pair/

or this;

https://www.3dgelplates.co.uk/product/g ... road-legal

I’m personally not keen on 3D 4D plates with the raised, stick on letters and numbers as they’re more difficult to clean than the standard flat Perspex plates fittted by the dealer. Lots of places for dirt to get trapped around the letters and numbers - especially the rear plate which gets quite dirty when driving in wet weather.
I've been looking at ordering either 3D Gel Plates or 4D Plates. Think they look quite nice myself.

Never considered they'd be a pain to clean though!

Was recommended https://theplatetrader.co.uk/.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

I don’t think the ordinary 3D gel plates would be a problem to clean, only the 4D plates where the letters and numbers are applied separately to the plate. I’ll be keeping my standard dealer supplied plates though 🙂.
stuartrendall
Bronze Member
Drives: 2020 POLO GTI+

Post by stuartrendall »

I have 4D plates on my car and they are indeed a pain to clean. Flies love to stick themselves inside the letters and numbers but a jet wash is usually enough to remove them. Using a microfiber cloth never works for me though as strands of the cloth end up all over the sharp edges. All in all though I think it looks nice.