What did you and your Polo do today?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Re: What did you and your Polo do today?

Post by silverhairs »

As with the old slush auto boxes, you never got the same braking effect with an auto as you would do in a manual. That's why cars with auto boxes, the brakes are a lot harder worked with an auto box. That's a fact of life with auto boxes, whether it be a slush box, CVT or a DSG. if you want to know why, I could always look it up on the internet. But a DSG is more economical than the old slush boxes, as they (slush) used oil to drive the rear wheels.
I did a link on another post where two guys explained how different auto boxes worked.
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

This post is going off post at the moment, but it's got round talking about DSG boxes.
In the following link this guy explains the different workings of the auto boxes available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OSDw-uyP98
Willni
Silver Member
Drives: Polo '14 6R, Golf 07' Edition 30

Post by Willni »

silverhairs wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:51 pm This post is going off post at the moment, but it's got round talking about DSG boxes.
In the following link this guy explains the different workings of the auto boxes available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OSDw-uyP98
The post is still on topic don't worry :D everything is acceptable in this thread
Wooly89
New
Drives: 2018 ps65

Post by Wooly89 »

Picked up my new polo last thurs so far enjoying it! With the Apple Car Play being pretty good. Unfortunately I’ve got the wiper judder problem but I will just get the Bosch aero twins I think. Gave it its 1st long drive on Sunday night 200 miles. Seemed to handle it fairly well but a little sluggish from 40-50 compared to my 75PS 2015 model. This new one is a 65PS.

Attachments
D2EBAC09-1ED9-43FA-8B35-4EB9AB2936B2.jpeg
Willni
Silver Member
Drives: Polo '14 6R, Golf 07' Edition 30

Post by Willni »

Wooly89 wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:01 pm Picked up my new polo last thurs so far enjoying it! With the Apple Car Play being pretty good. Unfortunately I’ve got the wiper judder problem but I will just get the Bosch aero twins I think. Gave it its 1st long drive on Sunday night 200 miles. Seemed to handle it fairly well but a little sluggish from 40-50 compared to my 75PS 2015 model. This new one is a 65PS.

Put a little bit of rain-x on a cloth and apply it to the wiper blades and that should sort of the wiper judder for you :D
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

Only realised today the Polo has only 1 rear fog light, seems a bit tight of VW considering the opposite side is available, I only had one on the Fabia but the opposite was the reversing light.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

MilgeS wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:40 pm Only realised today the Polo has only 1 rear fog light, seems a bit tight of VW considering the opposite side is available, I only had one on the Fabia but the opposite was the reversing light.
I’ve owned four VW’s since 2002 (three Golfs and one Polo) and they’ve all had just 1 rear fog light, so only one fog light isn’t just specific to the new Polo. The legal requirement in the UK is for one on the offside of the car, so VW are doing what they need to do to comply with UK law. Many other manufacturers also fit just one rear fog light and IMO, it’s much less painful on the eyes if you’re unfortunate enough to be stuck behind someone who persists in driving with the rear fog light on at the slightest hint of mist. Also IMO it’s easier to see if the car in front is braking if it has just one rear fog light - if there’s two and they’re integrated into the rear light cluster, the higher light intensity of fog lights can ‘hide’ the brake lights.

Although the cost per car to fit an extra fog light would be minimal, VW will always be looking to reduce costs (especially in the light of Dieselgate) and maximise profits - and they have some very large fines to pay as a result of Dieselgate.

Pretty certain the new Polo also only has one reversing light too - on the nearside.
MilgeS
Silver Member

Post by MilgeS »

Both reversing lights work, just the one fog light :)
Attachments
20180822_084111.jpg
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

MilgeS wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:43 am Both reversing lights work, just the one fog light :)
That’s interesting. Some of the YouTube videos I’ve seen (admittedly, not UK cars) of the new Polo only had one reversing light.

Every day’s a school day........ :)
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

I might be wrong, but thinking back, I read somewhere that only the offside fog light should work as If both worked, some people would mistake this as brake lights and in the fog, with them thinking that somebody has their brakes on, and with them braking for no cause, could cause an accident.

Can you imagine following some car for miles and he's got his fog lights on, one's bad enough :(
MilgeS
Silver Member

Post by MilgeS »

silverhairs wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:35 pm I might be wrong, but thinking back, I read somewhere that only the offside fog light should work as If both worked, some people would mistake this as brake lights and in the fog, with them thinking that somebody has their brakes on, and with them braking for no cause, could cause an accident.

Can you imagine following some car for miles and he's got his fog lights on, one's bad enough :(
That's a very interesting thought, good idea too. My A1 I had before the Polo had 2 rear fog lights working, I'll keep my eyes peeled for single/dual rear fog lights now!!
MilgeS
Silver Member

Post by MilgeS »

Unscientific experiment (I live on an island with only 1/4 of a mile of dual carriageway, first tank was mostly mainland/dual/motorway) for the last 2 fuel ups, not even 1mpg difference between a tank set on Eco to the previous tank on sport......sport it is from now on then!
Attachments
Screenshot_20180824-215832_Chrome.jpg
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

Hi "MilgeS" You haven't ordered a GTI by any chance have you with all them open roads on your island :lol:
MilgeS
Silver Member

Post by MilgeS »

silverhairs wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:24 pm Hi "MilgeS" You haven't ordered a GTI by any chance have you with all them open roads on your island :lol:
It's good for 1/4 mile standing starts here, that's about it though!!
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Being old enough to have been a driver when the rules demanded that newly reg'd cars must now have a rear fog light, I seem to remember that lots was said in support of only one rear fog light being fitted and always on the offside.

Maybe because it was possible, when I bought a new VW Passat 4Motion back in June 2000, I added a second rear fog light, but fitted a switch in the boot so that I always had a single rear fog light and always only on the "offside" so when driving abroad my car was set up for driving on the other side of the road.