What did you and your Polo do today?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Re: What did you and your Polo do today?

Post by silverhairs »

I may not have done much this week, but in "Track My Order" my Polo has moved up one block (3rd block) and I've been given "Build Production Week" and they say 29th October 2018. So there might be a possibility of getting it before Christmas. Not holding my breath though, I'll put out the buntings when it's on my drive :D .
joshwills
New
Drives: Polo R-line 115 Manual

Post by joshwills »

When did you place your order silverhairs?
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

I placed my order 23rd May 2018 and on the order the so called "Estimated" delivery was 29th November 2018.
It's only an SEL 115 DSG with other extras fitted, including the paint colour the extras came to just over £1800.00

I'll believe it when it's sitting on my drive.
joshwills
New
Drives: Polo R-line 115 Manual

Post by joshwills »

I placed my order on the 22nd May with an estimated delivery date of 22nd December, r-line 115 manual with £3k options and it’s now on a boat on its way. I don’t know how mines been bumped forward so much. Must be availablilty of parts.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

joshwills wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:09 pm I placed my order on the 22nd May with an estimated delivery date of 22nd December, r-line 115 manual with £3k options and it’s now on a boat on its way. I don’t know how mines been bumped forward so much. Must be availablilty of parts.
It could be that they’re building batches of cars by model, so maybe it’s R-Line models that are currently being built; perhaps it’s more efficient and easier for the factory to build by model. Kittycat’s R-Line was due to be built today. In the ‘New GTI + Delivery’ discussion thread, various forum members have mentioned a rumoured build start date of November for GTI models.
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

When you get your cars you will enjoy them they are great.

:D very worth the wait.

I am starting to see loads of them around of various types, mostly SE or S. to be fair no R lines no other SELs (just mine) but I have seen a couple of GTIs
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

When a new Polo passes you in the street, what distinguishes the "S", "SE" and the "SEL", what has the "SEL's" bodywork got that the "S" and "SE" has missing?
You can tell a GTI from the badge on the back. Do the "S", "SE", and "SEL" have the model badge on the back :?:
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

silverhairs wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:12 pm When a new Polo passes you in the street, what distinguishes the "S", "SE" and the "SEL", what has the "SEL's" bodywork got that the "S" and "SE" has missing?
Very little, and much the same for other VW model ranges and vehicle ranges produced by many other manufacturers. Most trim levels outside the performance variants look the same.

With the Polo, the ‘S’ has plastic wheel covers, black door handles and mirror housings. Some of the other models have a subtle chrome strip on the lower edge of the front bumper and front grille. Polo ‘Beats’ has a distinguishing bonnet and roof stripe. R-Line is more easily distinguished by those who know what to look for (wing badges, R-Line styling pack, rear diffuser, GTI style front bumper). GTI model; wheels, GTI badges, roof spoiler, sill extensions, different bumpers, twin chrome exhausts, red brake callipers, honeycomb pattern grille with red stripe. Most people would be hard pushed to tell the difference externally between the SE or SEL though.

Wheels may be different, although not necessarily so if someone has upgraded to one of the extra cost optional wheel designs, as some of the optional designs are shared by different models within the Polo range.

Have a look at the ‘Exterior’ details on pages 6-12 of the price list, which details the differences between the models.

https://origin.volkswagen.co.uk/assets/ ... celist.pdf
silverhairs wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:12 pm You can tell a GTI from the badge on the back. Do the "S", "SE", and "SEL" have the model badge on the back :?:
No.
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

Forgot to post this the other day, what are the chances of parking up and realising the miles and trip distances match, spooky!
Attachments
20180922_120441.jpg
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Took the wife and kids back down to York (from Newcastle) again today. The roads were absolutely clear both ways, straight down the A19. When on national speed limit dual carriageway, I was maintaining 80mph except for the odd drift downwards when slower traffic was briefly in the outside lane. There were a few temporary speed reductions to 50mph for non-existent roadworks that I complied with.

I did the downward journey in individual mode (everything Sport, except the suspension settings - Normal, and engine sound - eco), and ended up with 41.2mpg for the 86 mile journey, and an average speed of 67mph.

On the journey back, I went Eco mode, and got 40.9mpg and a 65mph average speed. At 80mph in 6th, the wind resistance makes for a more pronounced drop in speed when you come off the accelerator than at lower speeds, that and the reading the road ahead well pretty much making the coasting mode redundant, and seeing no gains from it at all. There was collectively around 40 seconds of the whole journey where coasting kicked in, as once beyond the roundabout of the first 10 miles closest to York, there were only 2 instances that I came off the throttle fully to decelerate under coasting.

Having the Think Blue trainer on the media screen and instant consumption on the MFD, I could see that without the effects of coasting, the only thing Eco mode does is dull the throttle response. For the maintenance of 80-mph cruising speed on the flat/slight uphill/slight downhill/steep uphill/steep downhill, the instant mpg reading was the same for both Eco and Sport - you were just pressing the pedal a lot further in Eco mode.

My mpg was marginally worse than the last time I did this journey (when the car had about 550 miles on the clock), but the average speed was markedly higher this time around, as I was at 80mph for mor eof the journey than last time.

Perhaps next time I do a comparable journey length, I will try to religiously stick to 70 on the dual carriageways. I'd expect an 80mph maintained journey for the trip yielding 41mpg would translate to around 48mpg when maintaining 70mph.

On a journey like that, you really notice how much tyre roar those Bridgestone Potenzas kick out. A 2 mile stretch of the A19 just north of Middlesbrough is that contrete slab type of road surface, and the tyre roar was extraordinarily bad on that stretch.
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

My Polo's on the MV Glovis Summit, it's just gone past Amsterdam and in a day or two will be in Emden :D .

Me, I'm just tracking it :).
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Has anyone received a GFK customer satisfaction survey on behalf of VW for their Polo?

Mine came today. Not many places to note things you don't like but I did put in:-

1. Very easy to cause tramping due to Bridgestone tyres.
2. Car doesn't remember you switching off park assist on next initiion cycle (Very annoying for front parking sensors to fire up when you're just shuffling along in almost static traffic).
3. Car is stopped in traffic and stop start is working. Then the car in front shuffles forward 2 feet and the car fires up again. Annoying.

It also didn't give room to add my dissatisfaction that I wax forced to have the car early because VW made the very late reveal that the car had to be registered by Aug 18.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:22 pm Has anyone received a GFK customer satisfaction survey on behalf of VW for their Polo?

Mine came today. Not many places to note things you don't like but I did put in:-

1. Very easy to cause tramping due to Bridgestone tyres.
Tyres don't help, of course, but they're not the cause of axle tramp.
That's suspension design.
I've had quite a few GTi's of various marks, they all axle tramped like hell.
In fact, my 1.8T Gti axle tramped so hard within 2 miles of it being picked up new from the dealer that the subsequent engine movement caused a hose to be ripped off the turbo and it broke down.
Spanking new car, dead, within sight of the dealer. :shock:
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Golf GTI owners that went for the PP variant with VAQ Diff don't suffer from the dreaded tramp - seems to do a good job of evening out wheel rotation speeds under that initial load.

I suffer from it every time I get a VW fitted with Bridgestones.
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:22 pm 1. Very easy to cause tramping due to Bridgestone tyres.
What on earth is tramping? I searched online dictionaries but it's not there so it must be slang.