What did you and your Polo do today?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: What did you and your Polo do today?

Post by monkeyhanger »

Being too tight to pay a detailer, I did 3 hours graft on the car tonight after work. Gave the car a wash, wiped off dealership's wax with alcohol, applied fallout remover, rinsed fallout remover off, dried car, applied a coat of G-Techniq C2V3 sealant, buffed off the excess, got whined at by the missus "are you going to be out there all night?", decided not to apply the fabric/carpet stain guard/water repellent coating.

The car now feels like it is coated in Teflon. Not the greatest pic in the dark, but the car is definitely shinier than it was in yesterday's new arrival pics:-

SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:52 pm Being too tight to pay a detailer, I did 3 hours graft on the car tonight after work. Gave the car a wash, wiped off dealership's wax with alcohol, applied fallout remover, rinsed fallout remover off, dried car, applied a coat of G-Techniq C2V3 sealant, buffed off the excess, got whined at by the missus "are you going to be out there all night?", decided not to apply the fabric/carpet stain guard/water repellent coating.

The car now feels like it is coated in Teflon. Not the greatest pic in the dark, but the car is definitely shinier than it was in yesterday's new arrival pics:-

Looks lovely and super shiny. I must resist the urge to get one..............if I order one early next year, it should be ready for me to delivery in spring 2020 which is when i plan to change my existing GTI 😂🤣😂🤣
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

For anyone else doing a DIY detail, you might want to skip the fallout clean - nothing came off the car purple when rinsed, save for behind the face of the alloys (brake dust from wear on the discs most likely. All I can surmise is that for Golfs, the long ride from Wolfsburg to Emden by train throws up plenty of iron fallout from the tracks, whereas perhaps an SA built Polo has never seen a train. £10 and 3/4 of an hour wasted. Will keep the remainder for periodic wheel clean-up.

Will get a second coat of sealant on the wheels, door handles, front of car and roof next time I clean the car - they take the most abuse. Then I must turn my attention to my poorly neglected Golf R.
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

Interesting the lack of fallout on these cars, mine had very little too, probably still worth your time and effort this time around though, you know you had a perfect base for your coating.
Attachments
IMG_20180727_194040_589.jpg
IMG_20180727_194040_589.jpg (8.41 KiB) Viewed 19276 times
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Sorted out insurance today, as the complimentary 5 day insurance runs out tonight. Was not expecting such a hike over and above the 1.6TDI A1 it replaces, bearing in mind full no claims and a clean license in a low risk area for a 42 year old. About 30% higher, and no difference between GTI and GTI+ (so no provision given for the ACC system doing its bit to prevent you rear-ending someone). My Golf R cost less to insure than my Golf GTD it replaced (and both had ACC). Actually dearer than the R to insure! I will have to look into changing insurer, but "quotemehappy" have been cheapest for me 2 years running.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Messed around with manual mode on the DSG box.

So when you're in manual mode and are in a lower gear than the car would like you to be in for economy (not in a position to be anywhere close to the red line) the car quite quickly seizes back control, defaulting back to D and sticking you up a gear.

However, when you're in manual mode and in a certain gear, decelerating towards a roundabout, and the car is approaching engine speeds low enough for labouring, what does the car do?

I'd expect it to take control off me, go back into D mode and drop gears to suit. Nope, it sticks you in neutral. Seems a bit daft to me. Not the result I was expecting in that situation.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

When yo put a DSG into manual mode, it's up to you to put it into the correct gear (manually) for the correct situation, not expect the box to pick the right ratio for you, it's in manual. The only way the DSG box to act so no damage is done to itself, it will put itself into neutral. It's computer brain of the box is not that clever, when it's in auto it reads that your slowing down for some reason, so it engages the next gear it thinks right.
If you go on the VW site it gives tips on the best practices for using a DSG box, eg, when going down a steep hill, so you don't have to over work the brakes, put it into manual and click it down 2 or 3 gears, and let the gearbox take the strain, as you would do in a manual box.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

^ My experimentation taught me what to expect (my first DSG box), so I learnt a lesson today. However, the reaction of the box is not as expected in that situation.

It is happy to take manual control off you quickly for the sake of economy - if you were sat in 3rd in manual mode doing 40mph, anticipating a gap about to open up, you haven't got long before it'll decide to revert to D and switch to 4th.

On the other hand, in manual mode, slowing down, it's decision to go to neutral rather than revert to D and drop a gear was unexpected. Seeing as the car is quite capable of slowing itself down and knocking gears down appropriately when engaged in active cruise control and the traffic in front slows, to maintain a safe gap, I assumed a similar gearbox intervention for slowing in manual with no corrective action in gear change, especially as the time elapsed on the very slow deceleration was a lot longer than the time taken for the box to revert to D from manual mode to knock you up a gear for economy's sake.
Last edited by monkeyhanger on Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

My only brief experience of DSG was in the previous model 2017 Polo; only drove it on 'auto' but take offs and changes were creamy, silky smooth though I found the car held a lower gear for a bit longer when going downhill than I would normally. But yeah, in a manual the driver selects the gear they feel appropriate for the road speed : engine revs situation....
Dan34
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+

Post by Dan34 »

@monkeyhanger When you say manual mode do you mean overriding the gearchanges on the paddles on the steering wheel? or moving the gearstick fully over to the left? Overriding on the paddles will only leave the box in manual for a while, I think after 10-20 seconds or so of no gearchanges on the paddles it'll switch the box back to full auto mode. However in full manual mode (gearstick to the left) it will stay in what ever gear you want, unless of course you get the revs right down to 1000rpm where it'll change down a gear so you don't stall, and same when you go near the limiter, it wont let you bounce the revs off the limiter.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Dan34 wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:40 pm @monkeyhanger When you say manual mode do you mean overriding the gearchanges on the paddles on the steering wheel? or moving the gearstick fully over to the left? Overriding on the paddles will only leave the box in manual for a while, I think after 10-20 seconds or so of no gearchanges on the paddles it'll switch the box back to full auto mode. However in full manual mode (gearstick to the left) it will stay in what ever gear you want, unless of course you get the revs right down to 1000rpm where it'll change down a gear so you don't stall, and same when you go near the limiter, it wont let you bounce the revs off the limiter.
Hi Dan, was talking paddle changes. My surprise was that manual mode reverting to D happens quickly going up in engine speed, but not coming down. I was in M4 for about 40 seconds, expecting the car to go to D3 in about 20 seconds as the engine approached 1100rpm. It was the duration of holding that gear without reverting to D that surprised me
Dan34
Getting There!

Post by Dan34 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:45 pm
Dan34 wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:40 pm @monkeyhanger When you say manual mode do you mean overriding the gearchanges on the paddles on the steering wheel? or moving the gearstick fully over to the left? Overriding on the paddles will only leave the box in manual for a while, I think after 10-20 seconds or so of no gearchanges on the paddles it'll switch the box back to full auto mode. However in full manual mode (gearstick to the left) it will stay in what ever gear you want, unless of course you get the revs right down to 1000rpm where it'll change down a gear so you don't stall, and same when you go near the limiter, it wont let you bounce the revs off the limiter.
Hi Dan, was talking paddle changes. My surprise was that manual mode reverting to D happens quickly going up in engine speed, but not coming down. I was in M4 for about 40 seconds, expecting the car to go to D3 in about 20 seconds as the engine approached 1100rpm. It was the duration of holding that gear without reverting to D that surprised me
Ahhh I see what you mean. Yes on the paddles I knew it would revert back after a specific amount of seconds, I thought that was a fixed time but guess it isn't from your findings! I usually put it into full manual when using the paddles as it always annoys me when it switched it back to full auto.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Dan,

So if you knock the stick left to be in proper manual mode then there's no intervention at all to go back to D?

I will try it out tonight. DSG is a funny thing. When you're in a manual car,changing gear is instinctive because you simply have to do it to drive, it's easy to get lazy when with the DSG and let it do everything because the choice is there.
Dan34
Getting There!

Post by Dan34 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:28 pm Dan,

So if you knock the stick left to be in proper manual mode then there's no intervention at all to go back to D?

I will try it out tonight. DSG is a funny thing. When you're in a manual car,changing gear is instinctive because you simply have to do it to drive, it's easy to get lazy when with the DSG and let it do everything because the choice is there.
Nope it wont go back to full auto D when the gearstick is pushed over to the left. Yeah agreed its very easy to get lazy with a DSG!
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Well I was so lazy, I gave up 1/2 a mile in on full manual mode. Instead I put it back into D and elected to manually intervene when after accelerating, the car is holding 3rd or 4th, wondering if you're done accelerating yet, when it will eventually go to D6..

I knocked it up a few gears with the paddles in that situation rather than wait for the car to realise I was at my desired speed.

The DSG box doesn't seem to naturally decelerate when off the accelerator like a manual does. Probably the biggest cause of DSG being thirstier than a manual - you end up braking more to slow than letting the car decelerate on irs own.