What did you and your Polo do today?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Polovivo
Getting There!
Drives: TSi AW / GTi AW

Re: What did you and your Polo do today?

Post by Polovivo »

phillos wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:43 am
S_94 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:04 pm Booked mine in for next weekend to hopefully sort out the squeaky noise (brakes?) when reversing. Guy on the phone said they'd need to drive it first. Managed to record a video inside the car of the noise, it's clearly audible.

Going in for 8:30 on a Saturday morning. Hopefully it'll be ready the same day.

Anyone know if they'll provide a car for the day or does that only apply if they've got the car for a few days?
Aaaand mine just started doing that. Booked it in immediatly. Luckily I have a service agreement on my lease, so its only a hasle timewise for me, but not a economical burden.

On another note I'm honestly surprised how s**t this car has been so far. My BlueGT i had for 3 years was in twice, once for its 10.000km service, and again at 30.000km. So far my GTI has done less that 3500km and been in 3 times..... Sad VW. Just sad.
I still believe that the 6C was a much better car in terms of a more solid feel and drive.
Also think that it was much better put together with better quality materials used.
I also did not notice too much cost cutting exercises from VW like I've seen with the current AW platform.
Joe VW
New
Drives: GTI

Post by Joe VW »

Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Got a '19 Polo GTI, approx. 4k miles on the clock.

Recently seen my average fuel consumption drop from touching 40 mpg to struggling to make it 30 mpg. Journey's done are the same and I haven't yet had to touch the aircon enough to make a difference. Have noticed that the car doesn't seem to want to change from 3rd to 4th until it's doing about 3000rpm even in eco and won't change from 3rd to 4th at anything under 37 mph on the flat, almost as though it is in sport mode constantly. Similar delayed shifting seems to occur between 4th and 5th, although slightly less pronounced. Downshifts from 3rd to 2nd also feel like they happen at too high an RPM and seem to be not as smooth as they were previously.

I feel like the two things are related and have it scheduled for VW to look at. Can anyone confirm what gear they'd normally be in in D or Eco mode at 30mph on the flat, under constant speed, just to verify if I'm imagining this hasn't always been the case in case they tell me this is how it's meant to be as seems to have only just started happening and seems to be resulting in higher fuel use than I should be getting when not thrashing it.

Other than that and the occasional vibration from the front right airvent, can't have any complaints.
Cheers.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

If the engine response is in Sport mode and the gearbox is in "D" mode, under little or no incline and minimal accelerator input, 3rd to 4th change should happen at about 26mph. Anything less than 1/3 throttle and you should certainly be In 4th by 30mph unless you're going up a steep incline.

The engine holds revs a little longer than that when cold.

My mpg is very congestion dependent. In horrendous traffic, it's as little as 30mpg on my 12 mile commute. Same trip, same time, during the School holidays and we're 38 - 41mpg, depending how fastI go on the motorway stretch.

Sounds like your gearbox is running like it's in S mode.
Joe VW
New

Post by Joe VW »

Cheers monkeyhanger. That rings true with how mine was running until recently. It's in today so will see what happens with VW.
Joe VW
New

Post by Joe VW »

Sit rep:

Went down the VW garage at 7.30 this morning, relayed the fault to service desk. Service man asks for a demonstration, so we go out for 5 minutes, I show him the problem, he agrees it's not shifting correctly. Try it in several modes, same result. OK he says, will just need a reset and an adaptive drive.

Get a call at midday to say they need to fill up with £15 of fuel to perform the adaptive drive, is that OK. I say yes because my fuel was on about 10 milee range and guess they are just covering themselves in case it did run out on them. No problem.

Call received at 3.30pm, car fixed, pick up tonight.

Get there and they don't have a receipt for the fuel they put in "because it's with the driver who is out at the moment" but I pay them their £15 anyway on the basis they will send me a copy later. Fuel appears to be correct, however mileage shows they've done about 20 miles today (again maybe fair enough, a little on the high side for me but I don't know how long it takes to perform this reset).

Get in the car, drive 1/2 mile and the problem still exists. Straight back to the dealers who can't see it tomorrow, closed on Sunday and I'm unable to drop off on Monday so got to wait until Tuesday to send it in again. Service rep tried to tell me that because it's a GTI it will naturally rev higher and the problem is normal operation. Stopped short of a full blown arguement but safe to say they know I'm not happy.

Drove home 20 minutes and can confirm problem is still the same as before. Better be some freebies heading my way as recompense for the lost time.
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

Took the car in this morning for the mooing/grinding noise when reversing... and I have no idea what they’ve done.

Sat in the car with the technician to demonstrate the noise and of course it didn’t do it, even though it does it every day when parking at work/home. Luckily had a recording on my phone. He said they’d get it up on the ramp to have a look. Was informed they’d call me at midday to pickup (even though they hadn’t looked at it by this point). No call by 2pm, decided to ring them. Woman on reception said the car was ready to be picked up, I asked what had been done but she couldn’t tell me as everyone in the service department had gone home. She seems to think they wouldn’t say ready for pickup unless work had been done it. So I actually have no idea what’s been done to the car.

Parked when I got home and there was no noise when reversing. There is however a very audible grinding noise when the steering is full locking, definitely not normal. Mentioned this on here before and people said they had the same issue. Will have to try again tomorrow and see if the noise has actually gone, that steering noise will have to be looked at though I feel.

Pretty annoyed as I had to leave Bristol at 7am this morning to get in by 8:30 and received no communication on what/if any work has actually been done.
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

Small update. Rang VW yesterday to speak with the service department. They told me they 'tried lubricating' something (didn't catch what he said) but that didn't work. So they've ordered in parts and I'll have to go back.

No idea when they were actually going to inform me of that as I had to ring them.

Was hoping the software update that monkeyhanger had would solve things. Car is safe to drive but still feel in the dark about things.
Joe VW
New

Post by Joe VW »

Another quick update on mine:

Took it in again this morning, and only got off the phone at about 4pm with the head mechanic. Says the problem isn't the gearbox, but something Engine Management related. The car is idling at about 1100rpm (which to be honest I hadn't noticed, but does ring true), rather than a standard 600 ish. This is causing the problem as the engine is revving too hard to begin with which will also be the cause of my mpg issue. He says this is likely to be a valve of some sort (?) leaking air somewhere which they haven't been able to find yet, or a problem with the Engine management system which they aren't getting any error codes for at the moment so can't get to the root of the problem. Another 24 hours in their garage required.

As long as they're on the right track with it that's all I'm bothered about.
Joe VW
New

Post by Joe VW »

Latest diagnosis is that the OPF requires regeneration which is the reason the car is idling at 1100rpm and thus causing the engine to rev too high in lower gears. Having only done 4000 miles I'm surprised this would have built up so quickly?

Said they could do a forced regen using ODIS which would cost me as not covered under warranty, which I nearly spat my coffee out at, or I could drive myself at high revs for 15 or so minutes and it would regenerate that way. They seemed to think short journeys were to blame which I do do some of, but alongside a 2x weekly 80 mile return journey so can't say I believe them.

So I am now planning to do some late night bursts down the A roads in sport in the hope that this somehow works. I don't hold out much hope.

If not it shall be back in with them next week.

Not rating this dealer's servicing customer experience at all.
Joe VW
New

Post by Joe VW »

Did a drive between Derby and Brewood, Staffs yesterday, about an hour journey, halfway there get a warning message pop up saying "Particle Filter, consult owners manual" along with an amber warning triangle. Car now doesn't want to change gear from 3rd to 4th until I'm doing 43mph and about 3500 rpm, and 5th until about 60mph in D mode. I continue driving, and manual says "Particle Filter requires regeneration, drive between 35 and 70 for half an hour - whilst the particle filter light is showing, regeneration is not taking place, if light persists after more than 30 minutes contact VW. So I went out this morning and did about a 70 mile round trip, the particle filter indicator kept coming on intermittently, but the warning light didn't disappear. Meanwhile I must have used about half a tank of fuel trying to get this thing to regenerate...

Taking it back in to be looked at next week. Hopefully now there is actually a warning light on they'll take some action.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

^&^^ - if your long journeys just done aren't clearing the GPF (OPF or PPF) then there's clearly something wrong with your car's management of the regeneration process or some other part of fuel/engine management that's causing excessive soot production.

My wife's GTI+ does about 7 miles each way to work on uncongested roads and has never hinted at needing a GPF active regen. The GPF is supposed to clear easier than a diesel car's DPF as the petrol engine warms up quicker and runs a hotter exhaust.

What is your average journey like (distance, volume of traffic, average speed)?

How quickly does your car warm up? Should be somewhere in the region of 2 miles to get water temp up to 4 bars/90C, and a further 2 miles to get the oil temp to 90C.

All being as it should be at your end to do what you can to encourage passive regens, I'd say your engine management needs a software update.

It happens - my 2007 Golf GT Sport 2.0TDI 170 was one of the first VWs with a DPF. I kept having forced regens and abysmal fuel economy, the garage knew I was doing enough for it to want to regen on it's own. They had the injectors out as they thought a leaky injector might be to blame for the car running rich. While they were out, they noticed a tiny burr on the inside of the cylinder head. They replaced the cylinder head and the DPF issues were back a week later. Then VW Germany sent a software update and that fixed everything.
Joe VW
New

Post by Joe VW »

Yeah been doing some reading on it and have to say I'm surprised I have this issue given the journey's I do as like you say the petrol runs hotter and gets up to temps quicker.

Three times a week I'll run only 5 miles each way (40mph all the way) two days about 12 miles each way (7 or 8 miles on dual carriageway at 60mph +, then 30/40mph once off the A38, and then at least 2, more likely 4 journeys of 35 miles each way, mostly dual carriageway, with some country roads at either end. As well as some longer weekend drives. All done in reasonably well flowing traffic.

Car temps hit 90 degrees after a couple miles or so of running as normal.

Hopefully something a software update can sort like you say as don't fancy forking out for repairs on a car 7 months old.

Cheers.
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

I'm doing about 3.2 miles a day commute (1.6 each way). Is this something I should be worried about? The car temp is normally at 4 bars as I actually sit in traffic for a bit most days.

Yes I should probably be walking, but the weather this time of year isn't great.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

S_94 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:51 pm I'm doing about 3.2 miles a day commute (1.6 each way). Is this something I should be worried about? The car temp is normally at 4 bars as I actually sit in traffic for a bit most days.

Yes I should probably be walking, but the weather this time of year isn't great.
Your not really letting the engine fully warm up. and 1.6 miles too work, I hope your active the rest of your time. Do you walk or ride your bike during the summer months? But if your having this problem now, the good weather has just finished, so your even using the car during the warmer months :o
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

Another update.

Spoke with VW this morning. When I asked them had parts been ordered in for the car they said they had no idea what I was talking about...

I was told a week before that parts would be ordered for the mooing/squeaking brakes as what they originally tried (god knows what) didn't work. So it's going back in on Friday for another look. Really starting to lose my patience with them and really pissed off with the lack of communication to myself and what seems like lack of communication inside the dealership.

More time off work and more miles added commuting to the dealership. :evil: