What did you and your Polo do today?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Re: What did you and your Polo do today?

Post by silverhairs »

If you have a normal size tyre in your boot and not a space saver, you will have a problem dropping the floor. I have a normal size tyre in my SEL, but the battery is under the bonnet, my mate down the road who has a GTI+ with a normal size spare tyre, he cannot lower his floor, it sits at an angle
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

silverhairs wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:02 pm If you have a normal size tyre in your boot and not a space saver, you will have a problem dropping the floor. I have a normal size tyre in my SEL, but the battery is under the bonnet, my mate down the road who has a GTI+ with a normal size spare tyre, he cannot lower his floor, it sits at an angle
Are you saying that with a full size spare in the GTI+, even with the boot floor in the upper position, it sits at an angle?

Your mate must’ve bought a full size spare separately. The GTI / GTI+ comes with a space saver spare; there isn’t a VW option to have a full size spare. Even with the space saver you lose the lower boot floor position that other Polo models have.

monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

SRGTD wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:34 am
silverhairs wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:02 pm If you have a normal size tyre in your boot and not a space saver, you will have a problem dropping the floor. I have a normal size tyre in my SEL, but the battery is under the bonnet, my mate down the road who has a GTI+ with a normal size spare tyre, he cannot lower his floor, it sits at an angle
Are you saying that with a full size spare in the GTI+, even with the boot floor in the upper position, it sits at an angle?

Your mate must’ve bought a full size spare separately. The GTI / GTI+ comes with a space saver spare; there isn’t a VW option to have a full size spare. Even with the space saver you lose the lower boot floor position that other Polo models have.

The space saver spare leaves less than an inch clearance between it's front surface and the boot floor underside in its upper position, put a full size 7.5J wheel in there and it would sit at least 3" proud of the boot floor in its upper position.

Maybe he got a free upgrade to a full size wheel because he paid cash? :lol:

There's no need for a full size spare as long as you get your damaged tyre repaired promptly and are prepared not to do motorway speeds on your spare in the meantime.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:49 am There's no need for a full size spare as long as you get your damaged tyre repaired promptly and are prepared not to do motorway speeds on your spare in the meantime.
Agreed, full size spares aren't needed unless you're running a taxi and the local by-laws require one (Aberdeen is one such place)
Tyre places are everywhere, a spacesaver is perfectly sufficient.
And although we all know you shouldn't run on one at motorway speeds for long distance, I have in several cars.
But only because it was the middle of the night and I wanted home.
Just sit at a steady 70mph and listen/feel for any problems.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

My Polo in today to (hopefully) get the knocking tailgate fixed.
When the collection guy came, I showed him where I have to put a cloth to stop the knocking.
I then said "do you want me to remove the cloth so you can hear the knocking on your way to the shop?"
His response "God no, I don't want to drive across town with an annoying knock" :D
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Well, that's it back.
They acknowledged the knocking, removed all trim to check for broken clips etc.
They then said they 'adjusted the lock' so that the tailgate is held tighter.
The delivery guy swears blind he heard no knocking (radio off) all the way back.
Fingers crossed eh...?
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:33 pm Well, that's it back.
They acknowledged the knocking, removed all trim to check for broken clips etc.
They then said they 'adjusted the lock' so that the tailgate is held tighter.
The delivery guy swears blind he heard no knocking (radio off) all the way back.
Fingers crossed eh...?
Interesting about the tightening up job, my R-Line and Gti+ have considerably noticable different boot closing sounds and I was going to ask them to adjust that at it's first service in a couple of weeks time, I will set myself a reminder for that now you mentioned it. Hope your knocking is now cured for good.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

I find the hatch difficult to close at times, as if the lock doesnt engage correctly. Means I need to almost slam shut every time, meh.
EmiLiuZ
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI 2,0 DSG

Post by EmiLiuZ »

My polo met up a with a few mates :)
Attachments
20190606_132514.jpg
20190516_155037.jpg
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:20 pm I find the hatch difficult to close at times, as if the lock doesnt engage correctly. Means I need to almost slam shut every time, meh.
I have the same issue on my 2018 GTI+, but not on our 2019 GTI+. The paint on the bottom edge of the tailgate is chipping in 2 places. Everything looks right except the striker plate that the lock engages to:-

My white 2019 GTI+ has a perfectly closing tailgate.

My Red 2018 GTI+ needs a slam to close. The striker plate is well off centre and sits 3mm further back than for the white GTI+, so the tailgate is pulled 3mm further in to engage the lock - no wonder it needs a slam (which the likely cause of paint chipping.

A local dealership has confirmed the damage and the cause of the damage being incorrectly set up and have submitted a claim to VW - VW have rejected the claim because they say that it's adjustment and adjustment is only covered under warranty for the first 6 months/6500 miles. I didn't notice the paint chipping until 5800 miles/ 7.5 months, otherwise I'd have had it in sooner.

The warranty terms are very vague in the UK handbook, deferring to the sale of contract that the dealership provides. Basically VW UK want to make me persuade the supplying dealership (200 Miles from me) to fix it or pay for it to be fixed - at the dealership's cost.

Weaselly bastards - it is clearly a manufacturing/assembly fault.
EmiLiuZ
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI 2,0 DSG

Post by EmiLiuZ »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:13 am
OomStu_ZA wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:20 pm I find the hatch difficult to close at times, as if the lock doesnt engage correctly. Means I need to almost slam shut every time, meh.
I have the same issue on my 2018 GTI+, but not on our 2019 GTI+. The paint on the bottom edge of the tailgate is chipping in 2 places. Everything looks right except the striker plate that the lock engages to:-

My white 2019 GTI+ has a perfectly closing tailgate.

My Red 2018 GTI+ needs a slam to close. The striker plate is well off centre and sits 3mm further back than for the white GTI+, so the tailgate is pulled 3mm further in to engage the lock - no wonder it needs a slam (which the likely cause of paint chipping.

A local dealership has confirmed the damage and the cause of the damage being incorrectly set up and have submitted a claim to VW - VW have rejected the claim because they say that it's adjustment and adjustment is only covered under warranty for the first 6 months/6500 miles. I didn't notice the paint chipping until 5800 miles/ 7.5 months, otherwise I'd have had it in sooner.

The warranty terms are very vague in the UK handbook, deferring to the sale of contract that the dealership provides. Basically VW UK want to make me persuade the supplying dealership (200 Miles from me) to fix it or pay for it to be fixed - at the dealership's cost.

Weaselly bastards - it is clearly a manufacturing/assembly fault.
Hi Monkey. How would you compare the sound of the 18' and 19' model?
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Well, my knocking tailgate is fixed. :D
The delivering driver said they adjusted the lock so it holds the tailgate better.
The written report doesn't mention that, but does mention application of grease to the seals.
I hope it's not just the grease, as that doesn't sound permanent.... :?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

EmiLiuZ wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:37 am Hi Monkey. How would you compare the sound of the 18' and 19' model?
The 18 plate (pre-GPF) GTI has a marginally quieter soundaktor and pops/farts under moderately hard acceleration when changing up to 2nd and 3rd. Not loud showy bangs like Ford/Vauxhall performance models - more of a bubble pop than a balloon pop.unless you have the windows rolled down or your stereo off, you won't even hear it. None of that popping in the GPF equipped 19 plate GTI, although the engine note sounds pretty much the same.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:21 am Well, my knocking tailgate is fixed. :D
The delivering driver said they adjusted the lock so it holds the tailgate better.
The written report doesn't mention that, but does mention application of grease to the seals.
I hope it's not just the grease, as that doesn't sound permanent.... :?
Could you post a birds eye view pic of your strike plate and side on view of your bump stops so I can compare with mine for placement?
phillos
Bronze Member
Drives: '19 Polo (AW)

Post by phillos »

So you just slammed the hatch for an entire day?! :|