What did you and your Polo do today?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Re: What did you and your Polo do today?

Post by silverhairs »

peeceeuk wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:32 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:46 pm
peeceeuk wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:02 pm Just did my first 100 mile journey, all motorway of course.
So simple and pleasant.
Went a little over speed limit for a bit and got 46.5 mpg.
Pulled up in the car park to where I'm staying and gave a little push on the accelerator while stationary and got a great pop.
It's the first time I've heard mine do it.
I'm 30 miles off of the 600 mile mark where people have suggested the car starts to loosen up a bit.
621 miles/1000km to loosening up step in engine management - you should notice the difference. After that, as the miles goon, things will loosen up further - my 7300 mile Red GTI+ is markedly looser and more eager under acceleration than our new white one with 700 miles on the clock.

46.5mpg for a maintained 75mph motorway speed sounds about right. I get 45mpg maintaining 80mph, going Newcastle to York (90 miles), Barrywi (I think it was him) reported 53mpg for a 100 mile trip maintaining 70mph.
Incredibly consistent mpg.
Did further 80 miles today, almost bang on the same consumption.
630 miles breached now.

Went out to go to work this morning and someone had parked freakishly close to my car.
I mean really freakily close.
They have to have exited via the passenger side.
To be quite honest, you have parked tight up to the left hand side of your parking bay. It's a bit of six of one half a dozen of the other.
peeceeuk
Bronze Member
Drives: Snazzy red GTi

Post by peeceeuk »

Splitting silverhairs?
l3rady
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+ 2019

Post by l3rady »

peeceeuk wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:33 pm Splitting silverhairs?
:lol:
peeceeuk
Bronze Member
Drives: Snazzy red GTi

Post by peeceeuk »

Another couple of hundred miles done today.
Took my Dad for a ride in it and he came out rather complimentary about its comfort and looks.
I was quite pleasantly surprised.
He's a grumpy bugger and very picky about cars.
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

Been driving with Michelin PS4s for about two weeks now, they've improved the car significantly. Didn't think I'd notice much difference but the car just seems even better to drive.

Still noticing a bit of wheel spin from a standstill when putting my foot down but it's nowhere near as severe compared to the Bridgestones, I'm guessing it's bound to happen whatever tyres are on due to the amount of power coming from the front of the car.

Very happy with the purchase.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

S_94 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:38 pm Been driving with Michelin PS4s for about two weeks now, they've improved the car significantly. Didn't think I'd notice much difference but the car just seems even better to drive.

Still noticing a bit of wheel spin from a standstill when putting my foot down but it's nowhere near as severe compared to the Bridgestones, I'm guessing it's bound to happen whatever tyres are on due to the amount of power coming from the front of the car.

Very happy with the purchase.
Not sure whether they've improved over time or my engagement technique has changed, but I hardly ever wheelspin/tramp now. Can get about 80% throttle down in 1st without tramping in the dry (about 60% in the wet).
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

l3rady wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:24 pm
Say what you like, if the member had parked correctly, more than likely the other motorist would have parked centrally in his parking bay. Have you seen in America where some motorist has parked badly in his own bay, they film two cars parked really close to either side of the offending motorist, so he cannot get into his car without going through the boot.
If the member had parked correctly in his own bay, this would not have happened, sorry your own fault 100%
Scotty_boy vw
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 6C 1ltr TSI/2018 1ltr TSI AW

Post by Scotty_boy vw »

Today I retro fitted Blind Spot Detection with added bonus of Rear Traffic Alert.
image.jpg
37A3BBBA-8F49-4BB7-9D51-037950859FB6.jpeg
7B86654D-19F9-4029-8E9C-C981B6B2C9C7.jpeg
17B49492-3CE5-4C9C-874A-809B2A6BABBA.jpeg
33EBB0EA-EC01-468B-A242-B5D55E3279D5.jpeg
ABD9B1B8-59C7-4945-BD5A-A42C762B30E1.jpeg
C2B6CA9D-ADFF-4EE4-ABD9-75A8C8C2B91B.jpeg
AE1EAAD5-6C8E-4524-84BE-AC2582CF60AB.jpeg
Scott
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

Scotty_boy vw wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:03 pm Today I retro fitted Blind Spot Detection with added bonus of Rear Traffic Alert.

Scott
Well done! Tell me, in terms of time and cost how much was saved compared to ordering it already installed? Just curious.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

silverhairs wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:11 pm
Say what you like, if the member had parked correctly, more than likely the other motorist would have parked centrally in his parking bay. Have you seen in America where some motorist has parked badly in his own bay, they film two cars parked really close to either side of the offending motorist, so he cannot get into his car without going through the boot.
If the member had parked correctly in his own bay, this would not have happened, sorry your own fault 100%
The odd thing is though, peeceuk was not inconvenienced, was still able to get out of the drivers side. The other person was either thinner than a cardboard cut out or seriously inconvenienced themselves to park there after peeceuk and climb over the centre console and out the passenger side. There are some odd people about.
l3rady
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+ 2019

Post by l3rady »

silverhairs wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:11 pm
Not sure why you are sharing your opinion with me, I don't have an opinion on the matter as it seems such a trivial thing. I was merely laughing at peeceeuks whit. Carry on.
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

Today I gave my Polo it's first proper clean. First time I've actually cleaned a car myself. Quite happy with the results and a good learning curve as there's definitely things I'd do differently for the next wash! Took about an hour and a half in total. Didn't wax the car but might give that a go next time. Thanks to the guys on the forum for advice regarding products and techniques.

Some photos:
Attachments
IMG_20190622_161111__01__01.jpg
IMG_20190622_161129__01.jpg
IMG_20190622_161209__01__01.jpg
IMG_20190622_161152.jpg
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

S_94 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:51 pm Today I gave my Polo it's first proper clean. First time I've actually cleaned a car myself. Quite happy with the results and a good learning curve as there's definitely things I'd do differently for the next wash! Took about an hour and a half in total. Didn't wax the car but might give that a go next time. Thanks to the guys on the forum for advice regarding products and techniques.

Some photos:
Looking good :-) Would look even better with the tyres dressed, just to finish it off :-)
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

MilgeS wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:16 pm
S_94 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:51 pm Today I gave my Polo it's first proper clean. First time I've actually cleaned a car myself. Quite happy with the results and a good learning curve as there's definitely things I'd do differently for the next wash! Took about an hour and a half in total. Didn't wax the car but might give that a go next time. Thanks to the guys on the forum for advice regarding products and techniques.

Some photos:
Looking good :-) Would look even better with the tyres dressed, just to finish it off :-)
Thanks mate! Any products you recommend for that? :)
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

@S_94; looks very good for a first attempt.

In your third picture, it looks as if your front towing hook cover doesn’t sit completely flush with the bumper, so it’s probably either worked loose or wasn’t clipped in properly when it was fitted, so you might want to push it back in place.

I use this as a tyre dressing;

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/finishka ... e-dressing

As well as being a tyre / rubber trim dressing it can also be used on black plastic trim such as the sill extensions, rear bumper diffuser and lower front bumper lip. It leaves a nice finish that isn’t too shiny and for a rubber and plastic dressing, has quite good durability too. I apply it with one of these;

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/trim-tyr ... applicator