What did you and your Polo do today?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: What did you and your Polo do today?

Post by monkeyhanger »

I fitted the Golf GTI key loops to my Polo GTI keys today, mainly for the purpose of telling my keys (Red Polo GTI+) from my wife's (White Polo GTI+). I don't use key rings with the car being keyless and us having an electronic lock/door handle on our front door (I use the keypad rather than the fob - only once been too drunk to use it!)

They are sold separately but I bought a pair from my local TPS (8% discount on dealership prices) for £24.11 (how does buying 2 single items result in a total price not divisible by 2? Rounding up/down I suppose).

One of the 3 positioning pegs on the loop needs cutting the end off to fit the Polo key body - 2 minute job with a Dremel and cutting disc. I took pics, I'll post them later.
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

Did a 400 mile round trip (South Wales to London) over the weekend, first time properly taking the car on the motorway. Was a joy to drive.

Made use of the ACC properly as well, every time I've tried using it for city driving I haven't enjoyed it but maybe that's because I wasn't fully aware of how to control it properly. A long trip on the motorway really helped me get to grips with it. Hit a bit of traffic coming over the Severn bridge, would normally be annoyed sitting in traffic but when the car is doing pretty much everything for you and my feet were resting it definitely helped. It did shout at me once to brake when approaching oncoming traffic. Was very odd it was like the ACC wasn't working (my brake seemed to go hard). Can't quite work out what happened there. No danger as the traffic was only moving between 10-20mph but it did give me a bit of shock.

Plenty of power to overtake as well which is always nice. Kept the car in Normal mode with the occasional switch to Sport for overtaking. In all fairness though the power shift in Normal when putting your foot down is more than enough for overtaking.

In the end I managed 48mpg which I'm happy with. Was aiming for 50 but that will do. :)
green justin
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI

Post by green justin »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:26 pm
S_94 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:26 pm Michelin pilot sport 4 tyres turned up this morning. Having them fitted Saturday afternoon, will be interesting to see if I notice the difference!
You definitely will!
Any rubbing with the 225/40r18 tyres on the oem wheels with rear passengers?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

green justin wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:06 pm
S_94 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:26 pm Michelin pilot sport 4 tyres turned up this morning. Having them fitted Saturday afternoon, will be interesting to see if I notice the difference!
You definitely will!
Nope. You might need to look at your wheel arch linings though - mine bellowed out on the drivers side rear due to poor factory fitment, so I had to adjust.
green justin
Bronze Member

Post by green justin »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 9:17 pm

You definitely will!
Nope. You might need to look at your wheel arch linings though - mine bellowed out on the drivers side rear due to poor factory fitment, so I had to adjust.
That’s Great, Huge change in fuel consumption?

Do you have a full view of the car with bigger Tyres on?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

green justin wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 4:22 am
monkeyhanger wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 9:17 pm

That’s Great, Huge change in fuel consumption?

Do you have a full view of the car with bigger Tyres on?
No discernable change in mpg either positive or negative. Seems about the same.

The "bigger" tyres aren't noticeably bigger in diameter, only 8mm bigger, amounting to 1.26% increase.

The protective lip is much better on the Michelins.

Trantor
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+

Post by Trantor »

Just looking at the photo. Looks good. Impressed by the quality of the shut lines. I gather you have a red one as well. Are the shut lines on that as good as the white one? Still waiting for mine so interested in what the build consistency is likely to be. Thanks.
green justin
Bronze Member

Post by green justin »

Just looking at the photo. Looks good. Impressed by the quality of the shut lines. I gather you have a red one as well. Are the shut lines on that as good as the white one? Still waiting for mine so interested in what the build consistency is likely to be. Thanks.
[/quote]

Having Owned a Golf 6 since new , the doors had a bit of play when pressing on it, more noticeable going over speed bumps.You could hear the door rubbers moving due to weight transfer.

In the Polo None of that. :D
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Trantor wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:41 pm Image

The shut lines are fine on the red one too. It's just a pity that the adjustment on the boot lid was way off from the factory. It's been chipping paint on the bottom edge of thd tailgate as it has contacted the rear bumper. Waiting for a judgement from VW UK to fix as the dealership refused, stating 6 months for bodywork adjustments.
Blackpug
New
Drives: Car

Post by Blackpug »

I’ve noticed that I can’t lower the boot floor to the lower position. Mines is a Gti without Beats audio. Got the spacesaver too. Am I doing something wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
l3rady
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+ 2019

Post by l3rady »

Blackpug wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 4:17 pm I’ve noticed that I can’t lower the boot floor to the lower position. Mines is a Gti without Beats audio. Got the spacesaver too. Am I doing something wrong?

I thought it was not possible to lower the floor in the GTI due to the battery in the boot. I remember reading smaller boot capacity in the GTI due to this. I don't have the GTI yet so I cannot confirm for sure.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Blackpug wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 4:17 pm I’ve noticed that I can’t lower the boot floor to the lower position. Mines is a Gti without Beats audio. Got the spacesaver too. Am I doing something wrong?

In the GTI / GTI+ you do loose the lower boot floor position.

Assuming the configuration under the boot floor is similar to my previous generation Polo GTI, the space saver being stored on top of the battery (located in the spare wheel well) encroaches into the void space between what would be the lower and upper boot floor positions in other Polo models. My previous generation GTI also has a moulded polystyrene storage tray containing part of the car’s toolkit to the left of the space saver in the void space.

Page 59 of the Polo model brochure quotes the boot space capacity (rear seats backs upright in position) as 305 litres for the GTI / GTI+ and 351 litres for other Polo models, so you lose 46 litres luggage capacity by not having a lower boot floor position.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

As the sun was out I took the opportunity to clean my Polo:
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

Finally got round to having the Michelin PS4s fitted this morning. Took them about 30 mins as they were having problems getting air into them.

Haven't taken it for a good drive yet but looking forward to seeing the difference.
Attachments
IMG_20190601_110106.jpg
IMG_20190601_124326.jpg
Blackpug
New
Drives: Car

Post by Blackpug »

SRGTD wrote:

In the GTI / GTI+ you do loose the lower boot floor position.

Assuming the configuration under the boot floor is similar to my previous generation Polo GTI, the space saver being stored on top of the battery (located in the spare wheel well) encroaches into the void space between what would be the lower and upper boot floor positions in other Polo models. My previous generation GTI also has a moulded polystyrene storage tray containing part of the car’s toolkit to the left of the space saver in the void space.

Page 59 of the Polo model brochure quotes the boot space capacity (rear seats backs upright in position) as 305 litres for the GTI / GTI+ and 351 litres for other Polo models, so you lose 46 litres luggage capacity by not having a lower boot floor position.
Cheers for the information. Thought it was something I was doing wrong. [emoji106]