Polo AW Photo Gallery

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Re: Polo AW Photo Gallery

Post by S_94 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:00 pm
S_94 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:57 pm Just went to order from AliExpress but they want a photo of my Drivers Licence and a photo of my Credit Card. Not happening.

Anyone know of any alternative sites selling them?
Weird, I never got asked for these. Is that Aliexpress asking or Jogon (the seller)? I didn't use your link, I had a different one. All Aliexpress required of me was my email address. See if you have any luck with mine, there's a translation button to go from Dutch to English.

https://m.nl.aliexpress.com/storesearch ... r-golf-gti
Same issue unfortunately. Not sure if it has something to do with the card payment (Credit Card/Mastercard).

Don't really fancy uploading personal documents for some paddle extenders. :|
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

S_94 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:13 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:00 pm
S_94 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:57 pm Just went to order from AliExpress but they want a photo of my Drivers Licence and a photo of my Credit Card. Not happening.

Anyone know of any alternative sites selling them?
Weird, I never got asked for these. Is that Aliexpress asking or Jogon (the seller)? I didn't use your link, I had a different one. All Aliexpress required of me was my email address. See if you have any luck with mine, there's a translation button to go from Dutch to English.

https://m.nl.aliexpress.com/storesearch ... r-golf-gti
Same issue unfortunately. Not sure if it has something to do with the card payment (Credit Card/Mastercard).

Don't really fancy uploading personal documents for some paddle extenders. :|
My card used was an American Express, I had to divulge the card details on a bona-fide secure payment site - is there a PayPal option where you can pay on your PayPal account and PayPal pull balance off your linked debit card if you've not got enough balance?

Perhaps it's a MasterCard extra security verification?
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

No PayPal option unfortunately, that would have been my first option.

I've just attempted to use my Vida Debit Card but that got declined straight away, just said payment failed (definitely funds on the card). Only other option I have is 'Wire Transfer'.

Didn't think it would be this tricky!

Found a set on eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Screw-on-Pad ... rk:26:pf:0 - they look identical to the ones on AliExpress (just a bit more expensive).
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

They're 50% more expensive. Who exactly is after copies of your documentation? Is it the vendor (Jogon) , aliexpress, or your card provider/bank?

I'd ask the ebayer who made them. If they say "Jogon" then you should not have any quality issues, they should be as good as mine.

Don't know whether I just struck lucky paying with Amex, not to be asked. Try getting the Aliexpress app and buying via that before you give up?
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

It's AliExpress who want the documents which I find odd. I'm assuming they just want to make sure I am who I say I am but I don't feel comfortable sending them images of my drivers license and card details.

Just tried ordering on the App and got the same issues. Think I'll leave it for now.

I'll get in contact with the person on eBay and hopefully they are Jogon. Suppose paying that is better than the £190 for the official ones.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

S_94 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:16 am It's AliExpress who want the documents which I find odd. I'm assuming they just want to make sure I am who I say I am but I don't feel comfortable sending them images of my drivers license and card details.

Just tried ordering on the App and got the same issues. Think I'll leave it for now.

I'll get in contact with the person on eBay and hopefully they are Jogon. Suppose paying that is better than the £190 for the official ones.
Just had a thought...is your delivery address the same as the address your payment card is registered at? If you've elected for sending it to work or granny's house That may be a red flag for Aliexpress trying to prevent fraudulent credt card transactions.

The parcel itself is slightly smaller than a box of dominoes, but is sent without a signature requirement.
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:34 pm
S_94 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:16 am It's AliExpress who want the documents which I find odd. I'm assuming they just want to make sure I am who I say I am but I don't feel comfortable sending them images of my drivers license and card details.

Just had a thought...is your delivery address the same as the address your payment card is registered at? If you've elected for sending it to work or granny's house That may be a red flag for Aliexpress trying to prevent fraudulent credt card transactions.

The parcel itself is slightly smaller than a box of dominoes, but is sent without a signature requirement.
Yep delivery address is exactly the same as billing address. Doesn't make any sense I've never had this sort of issue with purchasing anything online before.

Managed to get a quick response regarding the ones on eBay:
I believe they are generic ones. Our supplier is in Shanghai which I believe where the genuine ones are also made. You can class these as UA genuine. But apart from that there is no brand written on them.
Not sure what to do...
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

S_94 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:43 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:34 pm

Yep delivery address is exactly the same as billing address. Doesn't make any sense I've never had this sort of issue with purchasing anything online before.

Managed to get a quick response regarding the ones on eBay:
I believe they are generic ones. Our supplier is in Shanghai which I believe where the genuine ones are also made. You can class these as UA genuine. But apart from that there is no brand written on them.
Not sure what to do...
Puzzled as to why they want that extra proof of who you are via the photos of your credit card and drivers license. Is there an online help on Aliexpress you can make enquiries through? I had no problem, so never needed to enquire. What you could do is order through Aliexpress, providing a photo of the drivers license, but with the license number covered. Similarly, provide a picture of the payment card, covering all but the last 4 digits of the card (they won't know the whole number nor the CVC number outside the automated verification process). If it goes through, then fine.

It does seem an odd request when all they should be doing is have you submit the order and then Aliexpress directs you to the automated payment process that sends them your money, but does not give them access to the card details themselves. That way they get the reassurance that the recipient and the person placing the order are one and the same, but more importantly, they have no specific info that anyone can use in a fraudulent way. When does this request for card/drivers licence photos happen? As you are placing the order but before payment request is initiated? During the card details input on the payment hosting?
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

The prompt appears when I actually click 'Buy Now'. So everything has been filled in and is ready to go but then the Appeal thing kicks in.

Just spoken to them on live chat. I've been told I can upload the Drivers License with everything blurred except for my name. With the credit card they only need my name plus the first 6 and last 4 digits showing (expiry stuff hidden).

This does seem safer but still very odd.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Seems that by doing what they suggest, you have mitigated any risk of fraudulent use of your info (payment and identity).
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

Will give the Appeal a go and post an update. From some quick reading it looks like it can be a tricky process so we'll see how it goes.

If not I'll give the eBay ones a try.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I'm ambivalent towards them this morning - not sure if I prefer the subtle little stock ones. The practical argument for bigger ones is that they're easier to press on a turn, but it's awkward to press any on a turn and not many people feel the need to change gears mid turn.

Just not sure if it's all a bit too "Halfords".
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

That's a shame to hear mate. Any chance you'd take them off or is it to early to say?

Puts me off spending the asking price on eBay if my Appeal doesn't work...

Wonder if the £192 ones would be better? Ridiculous price to pay though.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

S_94 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:43 pm That's a shame to hear mate. Any chance you'd take them off or is it to early to say?

Puts me off spending the asking price on eBay if my Appeal doesn't work...

Wonder if the £192 ones would be better? Ridiculous price to pay though.
There's nothing wrong with these units, they are as well finished as I'd expect the £192 ones to be, I'm just not sure if I don't prefer the original fitted units for their discreteness after the fact of fitting them than the look of the extended paddles.

I like the classy, understated, conservative look that VW generally excels in. The extensions are more or a style thing than offering much more functionality due to their length over the original paddles.

I liked them again tonight. It's just me being indecisive, like when I was second guessing myself in having velvet red dash inserts instead of deep iron inserts. When you've got your hands on them, you can feel that they're silky smooth on every edge, confirming how well made they are. It's not a matter of would I like the ones 4x the price more than these, it's do I like the look of having paddle extensions at all?
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

Yeah that makes sense - from a style point of view I think they look great (from the pictures posted by yourself and others).

Suppose I can't judge though as I've never actually used them. I was thinking of going for black for a more subtle look and perhaps they would blend in more with the steering wheel. The silver ones look great as well though, tough choice.