New Polo GTI+

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
joeknight94
New
Drives: Polo GTI+ DSG

Re: New Polo GTI+

Post by joeknight94 »

I ordered a GTI+ as a demonstrator through work and it is now confirmed for week 11 (12th March) build, I'll keep you guys posted on how long it takes to come through as even working for VW it's unclear on the shipping time for the car once it's built, I'm kinda hoping it arrives in late April as I can't wait to get back into an auto again! (Although the UP! GTI is fun it's not a motorway car!)

I did order the car on 5/1/2018 so mine looks to be one of the earliest to be built at the minute (joys of having access to the ordering system!)

It looks to me as though the 'Sport Select Suspension' is standard fit (according to my iPad configurator at work). I hope this is the case as it made quite a big difference even on the old 1.8 GTI I had.

On our build week updates through VW it is showing 26 week wait now from order to delivery and I reckon that will only increase (wish they built them in Europe!)

Cheers,

Joe
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Welcome Joe. It’s good to have an ‘insider’ on the forum! :). Please put some pictures up on the forum when you get your GTI+, and if you could give your views on the car in general and how it drives and handles, that would be great.
joeknight94 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:57 pm It looks to me as though the 'Sport Select Suspension' is standard fit (according to my iPad configurator at work). I hope this is the case as it made quite a big difference even on the old 1.8 GTI I had.
From the YouTube videos I’ve seen, it looks as if you select the Sport settings via the infotainment screen, rather than there being a separate ‘Sport’ button like there is the 6c Polo GTI.

Have VW issued any information to dealers on when the GTI and GTI+ will be available with the manual gearbox? From what I’ve read, it should be before the end of 2018, but I haven’t seen anything on specific dates.

Cheers!
chris.o'mahoney
New
Drives: Polo GTI plus in order

Post by chris.o'mahoney »

Hi Joe

Great to hear you have a build date already. I only ordered mine a few weeks again so still saying with the factory. My dealer quoted end of June but from what I’ve been reading it looks like it could be a lot longer.

I was in two minds as to whether to buy a nearly new Golf GTI or wait for a new Polo GTI. After reading some reviews and watching loads of You Tube reviews decided Polo GTI was for me. So ordered blind without a test drive. Never done that before. Gulp! :?

Chris.
joeknight94
New
Drives: Polo GTI+ DSG

Post by joeknight94 »

We've had no official word of the manual release date yet but I will certainly be on here when I find out!

I've been hands on with a new Polo GTI in November when I went on the T-Roc Training and it seemed very "big" and "classy" in person although it was a LHD model so didn't feel 'normal' but it felt much more driver focused and cocooning that the outgoing model due to the cabin design and Active Info Display was very vibrant even compared to the current Golf GTI. I have also been driving the new T-Roc SEL with the same display and it is very quick to react and great on map view hence why I've specced Discover Nav on my GTI+ as I feel it would be missing out on a big part of the display without the nav.

I also been driving the new Polo in SE trim and it feels so much more refined and the handling even on the soft "SE" suspension feels tawt and with your eyes shut you'd be hard pushed to tell it apart from the current Golf (which is a massive compliment to be fair!). Infotainment is a massive improvement, giving the car a 'big car' feel.

I fell in love with the Flash Red one I saw but I was unlucky because when I ordered mine it wouldn't let me add the Black Roof pack but it is now available for future orders, couldn't warrant the Panoramic Roof as well as the other options.

I've gone for:-

Polo GTI +
Flash Red
18" Brescia's
Winter Pack
Dual-Zone Climate
Rear View Camera
Discover Navigation

Did quite fancy Park Assist and the Blindspot Monitoring but it is a case of over-speccing cause those two options are likely to be the least popular as if you can't park a Polo then you shouldn't really be driving it if I'm honest and Blindspot is great if you do loads of motorway work which most Polo GTI drivers won't do I don't think.

One thing that did annoy me is the lack of audio upgrade to Beats which is on the European pre-production cars...hope that get's added with MY19 which could bring the release of the Manual Box...who knows?

Also interestingly, all the reviews state that the car has torsion beam rear axle but in the VW brochure / pricelist it states that the GTI comes with multi-link rear suspension so I'm not sure who is right in this case, may be a case of lying on my back when it arrives to inspect?

I just wish it would arrive in March!! I keep watching reviews on Youtube - but what I'm really looking forward to is a UK Drive and Group test with New Fiesta ST /208 GTI Etc.

Cheers,

Joe
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Joe,

It’s a nice spec that you’ve ordered.

I’m pretty certain that the Active Info Display in the Golf is first generation, whereas in the Polo it’s the second generation version, which would account for it being more vibrant than the version in the Golf.

I think the information in the brochure is incorrect as far as the rear axle is concerned and it looks as if the GTI/GTI+ is fitted with a torsion beam rear axle, which can be seen in the cutaway diagram at the link below;

http://www.caricos.com/cars/v/vw/2018_v ... es/63.html

and at 2m 26s and 2m 38s in the video at the link below;

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s114bf6uNmQ

If the Beats audio system does become available in the UK as an option for the GTI/GTI+, because of the configuration of the under floor boot space to accommodate the sub, and with the battery also being located under the boot floor in the GTI/GTI+, I think you loose the space saver spare (the Beats model which has the sub under the boot floor also looses the spare wheel).

I’m not planning on changing my Polo GTI (outgoing model) for a couple of years, so I must resist the temptation to test drive the new one when my local dealer has one as a demo!
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

No news on mine. still with the factory and no build date.
Looking at my old posts 'JohnPolo' for 2015 model it changed to build date around the middle of March or so and was ordered like the new one around 2nd week of january.
Eventually picking it up end of first week in May. Think the sun will be high in the sky by the time i get it. Place your bets now. :D
alandbess
Bronze Member
Drives: Scirocco

Post by alandbess »

johnpolo2 wrote:Received my tracker number today. So the journey begins..again. :wink:
Have you had a build week yet?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

Think the on-line tracker is little more than a guide, folk may find it don't move for a couple of weeks, then jumps a couple of steps in a day. Fun to check out but frustrating as heck when waiting for ones new car....
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

alandbess wrote:
johnpolo2 wrote:Received my tracker number today. So the journey begins..again. :wink:
Have you had a build week yet?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
No. It's remained stubbornly on 'with the factory' since February.

(Saw an Up GTI in Leamington Spa at the weekend. )

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk