New to VW and Polo

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Garjen
New
Drives: 2018 beats

New to VW and Polo

Post by Garjen »

Hello.
I have taken the plunge and ordered a new polo beats factory spec and moved from a fiesta. I've had 4 of them and quite honestly the new one doesn't look great. The new polo however looks great and drives fab. Hopefully I have done the right thing !
Zootee
New
Drives: Match 1.2 90 TSI

Re: New to VW and Polo

Post by Zootee »

Awesome! What lead time were you told? I ordered an SEL DSG almost three weeks ago and have been told 16 weeks and been given a provisional delivery date of 30th May.
john-k
New
Drives: Polo SEL AW

Post by john-k »

Hi all, new to the forum but also placed an order for an SEL and got a lead time of 16 weeks about 2 weeks ago. Dealer mentioned that the long lead time was due to the fact that the cars are being assembled in South Africa and shipping takes up quite a lot of the time. Fingers crossed the new car comes earlier than that.
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

john-k wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:42 pm Hi all, new to the forum but also placed an order for an SEL and got a lead time of 16 weeks about 2 weeks ago. Dealer mentioned that the long lead time was due to the fact that the cars are being assembled in South Africa and shipping takes up quite a lot of the time. Fingers crossed the new car comes earlier than that.
Hi John

You doing well my SEL ordered 1 week ago is at factory with no confirmed build date. my estimated delivery date is late June, but the sales guy looked at the VW build date prediction (he could see it I cant) and it says wk 30 ie late July! so who the hell knows? I have looked at the VW plant in South Africa and it is huge, they start another assembly line in April. Shipping is via Port Elizabeth and takes about 3 weeks at sea. I assume the cars load at the end of the production week and then leave on their 3 week journey. so a build week of wk16 will become wk 19 before the car is in Europe. I don't know if the cars then go to Germany for quality checks (I think they do) then they come over to the uk from there and get to the dealer about a week later. so I think total travel is about 4-6 weeks. sorry it was long winded. Anyone know better??
Garjen
New

Post by Garjen »

Hi not sure if my reply worked correctly.

I have a confirmed build date of 12th. On Monday. Dealer is looking for end of march handover. It's factory spec so i suspect that's why it's a fast turnaround. I'll keep you updated.
john-k
New
Drives: Polo SEL AW

Post by john-k »

mike sel wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:49 pm Hi John

You doing well my SEL ordered 1 week ago is at factory with no confirmed build date. my estimated delivery date is late June, but the sales guy looked at the VW build date prediction (he could see it I cant) and it says wk 30 ie late July! so who the hell knows? I have looked at the VW plant in South Africa and it is huge, they start another assembly line in April. Shipping is via Port Elizabeth and takes about 3 weeks at sea. I assume the cars load at the end of the production week and then leave on their 3 week journey. so a build week of wk16 will become wk 19 before the car is in Europe. I don't know if the cars then go to Germany for quality checks (I think they do) then they come over to the uk from there and get to the dealer about a week later. so I think total travel is about 4-6 weeks. sorry it was long winded. Anyone know better??
Just to clarify, it was a prediction, not a confirmed build date. So who knows when the car will be built hahah. QC apparently gets done at the dealership according to the VW Track My Car FAQ (http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/track-my-order/faq under "Arrived in the UK", "Can you deliver my car to a home address" section)
I went for the manual 115 with ACC, LED headlights, Active Info Display, reef blue metallic and folding mirrors as options so probably going to take a while. It seems that the new polos arriving at the dealers currently are all SE+beats models (I've seen about 10 sitting around the local dealer). :roll:
Last edited by john-k on Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Garjen
New

Post by Garjen »

john-k wrote:
mike sel wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:49 pm Hi John

Just to clarify, it was a prediction, not a confirmed build date. So who knows when the car will be built hahah. QC apparently gets done at the dealership according to the VW Track My Car FAQ (http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/track-my-order/faq under "Arrived in the UK", "Can you deliver my car to a home address" section)
I went for the manual 115 with ACC, LED headlights, Active Info Display, reef blue metallic and folding mirrors as options so probably going to take a while. It seems that the new polos arriving at the dealers currently are all SE models (I've seen about 10 sitting around the local dealer). :roll:
Ahhh that makes sense. I have read a few forums and they all seem to point towards the more basic specs in production first. With sel and gt later on.

Sent from my TA-1033 using Tapatalk

mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

Garjen wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:08 pm Hi not sure if my reply worked correctly.

I have a confirmed build date of 12th. On Monday. Dealer is looking for end of march handover. It's factory spec so i suspect that's why it's a fast turnaround. I'll keep you updated.
Hi Garjen

Nice early build date 12th march. so that will give you a collection date of around late April? I think they say 6 weeks after build to ship etc.
I am sure you will enjoy the new car. What colour did you go for? and options?
Garjen
New

Post by Garjen »

mike sel wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:29 am
Garjen wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:08 pm Hi not sure if my reply worked correctly.

Hi Garjen

Nice early build date 12th march. so that will give you a collection date of around late April? I think they say 6 weeks after build to ship etc.
Hi Mike Sel

Spoke with the live chat yesterday and they say it should be shipping soon. I've been asked to contact end of week for an update.
Due to budget it's factory spec only.😑 But I'm hoping it's a step up from the fiesta zetecs I've been driving the last few years.
As it's beats I was limited to red , white silver, or black. I've gone with the white silver. Was thinking of getting some Maguire's sealent 21 for it as stealer wants 400 quid for diamond bright
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Garjen wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:37 am
mike sel wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:29 am

Hi Garjen

Hi Mike Sel

Spoke with the live chat yesterday and they say it should be shipping soon. I've been asked to contact end of week for an update.
Due to budget it's factory spec only.😑 But I'm hoping it's a step up from the fiesta zetecs I've been driving the last few years.
As it's beats I was limited to red , white silver, or black. I've gone with the white silver. Was thinking of getting some Maguire's sealent 21 for it as stealer wants 400 quid for diamond bright
Please, don’t pay the dealer £400 to apply Diamond Brite, or any form of paint protection for that matter. If you haven’t done so already, have a read of this;

viewtopic.php?f=71&t=70841&p=530694#p530694
Garjen
New

Post by Garjen »

Update.
Dealer called me last week to say that the manufacturer was delayed. They aware of an order cancellation in transit that was same spec but with parking sensors. I've agreed to that.😀😀
Spoken with live chat and they say it's on its way to port. Interesting that they also say that it has to go from South Africa to Germany, quality check , then ship to uk.
somehow this process makes commercial sense to v.w maybee it's economy of scale ?
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

Zootee wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:14 pm Awesome! What lead time were you told? I ordered an SEL DSG almost three weeks ago and have been told 16 weeks and been given a provisional delivery date of 30th May.
How are you going with your build date on your SEL? do you have a build :D date confirmed yet?
Garjen
New

Post by Garjen »

mike sel wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:29 pm
Zootee wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:14 pm Awesome! What lead time were you told? I ordered an SEL DSG almost three weeks ago and have been told 16 weeks and been given a provisional delivery date of 30th May.
How are you going with your build date on your SEL? do you have a build :D date confirmed yet?

I spoke to vdub this morning and it's a bit confused. They say it was due into emdon on 28th Feb. This is odd as 27feb I was told it was still awaiting dispatch to port. When I pressed them on this they provided no further info and told me thats all they could see on screen. So I know it's built but unsure where in the world it is. Perhaps the snow has confused them 🤔
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

Garjen wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:39 pm

I spoke to vdub this morning and it's a bit confused. They say it was due into emdon on 28th Feb. This is odd as 27feb I was told it was still awaiting dispatch to port. When I pressed them on this they provided no further info and told me thats all they could see on screen. So I know it's built but unsure where in the world it is. Perhaps the snow has confused them 🤔
Ok I know a vehicle carrier arrived in Emden a few days ago. so I maybe was on that.
Zootee
New
Drives: Match 1.2 90 TSI

Post by Zootee »

Nothing yet :( however I did add the Active Info Display to my order almost 2 weeks ago so I’m sure that hasn’t helped speed things up. Beginning to become concerned that I won’t have the car by the 30th May which is when my order form states it will be here.