Sim card for Car Net

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Sim card for Car Net

Post by barrywi »

I have just ordered a Polo GTI plus and was wondering about the Car net connection. The dealer was a bit vague but as I understand it I will need either to connect my iphone to the car or use a dongle( £100! Extra) to use a sim card for data. My iphone has minimal data amount so the question is whether to get a data increase on the phone or buy a data only sim card. Is this correct and also how much data on the card will I need? .I dont think I will be using many apps and have included the sat nav in the order so that will not use any data.
I hope this all makes sense. Maybe I should get my 10 year old grandson explain all this, I am 71 but young at heart!
albob
Bronze Member
Drives: BlueGT

Re: Sim card for Car Net

Post by albob »

I am currently looking at ordering the new Polo and found this page regarding Car Net. I don't fully understand it, buts looks complicated and will cost....

http://volkswagen-carnet.com/int/en/start/faq.html
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Yes I agree. I have just been looking at data only sims and the cost is high. If the Polo system connects to the net all the time I presume that means it will be nibbling at the data continuosly . Without knowledge from others as to how much data they use with the system you could end up buying an expensive amount of data you dont need or running out. If I increase the data allowance on my phone I get unlimited phone minutes which is no use to me.
I think I will give it a miss until it users give some feedback.
daydotz
Silver Member

Post by daydotz »

3uk offer a sim with a prepaid amount of data if you shop around These aren't too much
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Thanks I will wait to see if I can get information regarding how much data the system munches through in a day before buying a card