Polo Modifications

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
wizzywig27
Getting There!
Drives: GTI

Polo Modifications

Post by wizzywig27 »

Hi all

I currently have a Polo 6C GTI but have decided to downgrade to the new Polo SE due to costs.

I would like to make a few modifications to it but as it’s new to the market I have no idea what I am looking for, so was hoping someone could help me.

The list of changes I would like to make are:

Buying VW branded alloy wheels - not sure what size I can go up to as the SE doesn’t allow you to upgrade beyond the 16” as standard, and wouldn’t want to order the 17” size and they not fit. A lot of listings state a certain fitment but I have no idea what this means.

Upgrading interior lights to White/Blue LED’s - I did this on my GTI but wondering what type of bulbs I need if anyone can help

Wind deflectors - just a nice little mod to make it a look a bit more sporty - does anyone know who sells these yet?

Side skirting and splitter - again does anyone know someone who sells these yet?

Rear window tinting - as my car is on PCP am I allowed to make this change if I want to hand it back?

Thanks all
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Polo Modifications

Post by SRGTD »

With the new Polo being so new, I suspect that there might be limited scope for you to make modifications at the moment. Also, I don’t think any members on the forum have taken delivery of a new model Polo, so there may not be anyone who can answer your questions.

As far as wheels are concerned, the 17” Parker wheels fitted as standard to the new Polo GTI (or the optional 18” Brescias), or the 17” Pamplona or Bonneville alloys fitted to the SEL or R-Line should also fit an SE, but VW don’t allow you to spec these for a Polo SE to be fitted as part of the factory build. If you were to order and buy any of the above wheels from a VW dealer as an aftermarket accessory, be aware that it’s always very expensive to buy them this way - much more than it would cost to add them to a new factory build. Bear in mind you’d also have to buy new tyres, which would further add to the cost.

For the 6c Polo, VW only produced one OEM aftermarket alloy wheel in 17”; the Motorsport (I have these on my 6c Polo GTI). Currently, the ‘accessories’ section of the VW website is showing no accessories are available for the new Polo. Spec of the Motorsport wheel for the 6c Polo is;

PCD (pitch circle diameter); 5x100, CB (centre bore); 57.1, width; 7j, offset ET46.

I don’t know if these would fit the new Polo; it very much depends on whether VW have retained a PCD of 5x100 for the new Polo, or whether they have moved to 5x112 to fall in line with other cars built on the MQB platform. It’s unlikely the CB has changed as 57.1 seems to be common to other VW’s. If you like the Motorsport alloys, then suggest you ask your dealer what the spec is of the 17” Parkers, Pamplonas and Bonnevilles is, so you can check the spec against the Motorsport spec to see whether or not they fit, and whether you’d be happy with the stance - depending on how the offset of the Motorsports may differ to the offset of the 17” wheels available for the new Polo SEL/R-Line/GTI.

You may have already considered this, but if your are thinking of getting an SE and incurring quite a significant additional cost of adding larger wheels, tinted windows, and side skirts, have you thought about getting an R-Line, which already has side skirts, tinted windows and LED interior lights, and you have the option of adding 17” wheels as part of the factory build? That just leaves you to source a set of wind deflectors.

Also, bear in mind that if you do modify your new Polo, you’ll need to inform your insurer of the modifications; failing to do this could invalidate your insurance and leave you uninsured. Your insurer may also charge you a higher premium for making the modifications.
wizzywig27
Getting There!

Post by wizzywig27 »

Thanks for your reply.

I may be the first then as I’m collecting it at the beginning of March (it’s actually available now but want an 18 plate).

I went for the SE as I needed to save money on my PCP, fuel and insurance now and didn’t want to wait four months for a car to be built, plus as the car was in the dealer did me a better offer.

I was looking at second hand wheels, but struggling to find any the moment but will keep looking.
wizzywig27
Getting There!

Post by wizzywig27 »

An update to my mods:

Had windows tinted, looks great.

Bought some genuine VW kick plates for old polo but fit this one no problem, again they look good.

Bought some wind deflectors, just an added touch but look decent (although fit could be slightly better)

Downloaded station logos for Infotainment - it’s the small things lol

Changed the standard halogen bulbs for Philips Diamond Vision, they are really good and make the car look so different

Oh and the OH had her wing mirrors wrapped black in her white Polo SE
CODmental
New
Drives: VW POLO GTI 6R 2011

Post by CODmental »

wizzywig27 wrote:An update to my mods:

Had windows tinted, looks great.

Bought some genuine VW kick plates for old polo but fit this one no problem, again they look good.

Bought some wind deflectors, just an added touch but look decent (although fit could be slightly better)

Downloaded station logos for Infotainment - it’s the small things lol

Changed the standard halogen bulbs for Philips Diamond Vision, they are really good and make the car look so different

Oh and the OH had her wing mirrors wrapped black in her white Polo SE
What colour was your OHs car ? Do you have picture you can share of the wrapped WM?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

wizzywig27
Getting There!

Post by wizzywig27 »

Her car is white. We’re both at work at the moment so I’ll take some later and post them
CODmental
New

Post by CODmental »

wizzywig27 wrote:Her car is white. We’re both at work at the moment so I’ll take some later and post them
Mine is white also I am thinking of doing the same to my wing mirrors and black wrapped roof.

Look forward to seeing the pics of her car take your time no rush.

wizzywig27
Getting There!

Post by wizzywig27 »

CODmental
New

Post by CODmental »

wizzywig27 wrote:Image

This looks fantastic thanks for the share & inspiration

silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

When I enquired about insurance for my new Polo, I told them about the extra things I wanted on my new Polo, the insurance company said "if the extra's were fitted in the factory, there not classified as modifications. If you have a tow bar (for instance) by the dealer, that's a modification".
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

silverhairs wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:43 pm When I enquired about insurance for my new Polo, I told them about the extra things I wanted on my new Polo, the insurance company said "if the extra's were fitted in the factory, there not classified as modifications. If you have a tow bar (for instance) by the dealer, that's a modification".
Some insurers treat modifications differently to others. My insurer doesn’t consider factory fitted options as modifications whereas some other insurers may do. However, if any changes are made to the car after it has left the factory, my insurer considers these to be modifications.

I have changed the wheels on my car as I don’t like diamond cut alloy wheels, and it came with these fitted as standard. The replacement wheels are considered to be a modification by my insurer even though they are an official VW accessory, and are the same size and offset as the original factory fit wheels. When I declared my wheels modification to my insurer, they charged me an additional premium of (I think) around £18.00 a year.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I remember the first time I read about the car insurance's new view on what extras are fitted to a car at initial build and was a bit concerned, they seem to have needed to take this new approach due to some, mostly premium cars, being loaded up with as much as an extra 35% and upwards cost-wise, which can make quite a bit of difference to repair bills after an accident.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

I think the types of modification that concern insurers most in terms of increasing the insurance risk are;
  • those that increase a car’s power output or alter the factory ride and handling characteristics
  • those that alter a car’s appearance
  • the fitment of expensive aftermarket in-car entertainment systems
The vehicle rating group that the Association of British Insurers (ABI) allocate to a particular male/model of vehicle is based on the manufacturer’s ‘standard’ car, so if the owner upgrades the performance by, say, mapping the ECU or alters the handling characteristics by lowering the suspension, then the insurer would want the opportunity to re-assess the insurance risk and their premium requirements. Altering the appearance of the car by fitting items such as body kits and non standard wheels, and fitting high end sound systems, can make the car more attractive to thieves, so potentially increases the theft risk.

I believe some insurers do need to know about factory fit options. However, would a second or third owner of a car know if the car they’ve bought came with a sat nav, leather interior or climate control as standard? Many forum members would, but there’s a good chance that the average ‘joe public’ may not. I think it’s for this reason that many insurers take a pragmatic view and consider factory fit options as part of the standard car, and deem modifications to be any changes the owner has made or had made on their behalf after the car has been built. There is still the grey area where a previous owner has modified a car and a subsequent owner is unaware of the modifications, so is unable to declare them to their insurer.........🤔

The minefield of modifications and insurance 🤨.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Quote:- "However, would a second or third owner of a car know if the car they’ve bought came with a sat nav, leather interior or climate control as standard?

There is still the grey area where a previous owner has modified a car and a subsequent owner is unaware of the modifications, so is unable to declare them to their insurer.

The minefield of modifications and insurance ."

Exactly, though it does not make you feel very good when initially insuring it, I could see that my "Audi Approved S4" did come with a different exhaust and examining it proved it was a Milltek one, so I advised my insurer of that. As to some other and sometimes very expensive factory fitted options, as you say, if you are not in the know, could be in for a surprise come claim time.it will always be the owner's problem and some premium marques are very guilty of fitting extra kit at times, probably in response to the competition's changing spec.

This issue, for me, came about as I said after bumping into an article on differing specs for same models due to factory fitted options, and at that time both my Passat and my wife's Polo were fairly well loaded up with factory fitted options - but I did nothing to inform our insurers as these cars were well past their use by date!