New GTI + delivery

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Cadwest
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Re: New GTI + delivery

Post by Cadwest »

barrywi wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:34 pm Finally got a call from VW to say our car is on one of two ships.
Either the Galaxy Ace which arrives on 2 nd July OR Green Ridge which gets in on the 7 th ( Presumably to Emden)
Not a total answer but good news .
Our car left the factory on the 8 th June , information for others in the same boat, if you get my meaning!

Great news Barry, our cars might even be on the same car transporter after leaving the docks but let’s hope it’s not the same driver who decapitated two range rovers on the M61 the other week.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

I think there are a good few of us here with BW23 completed cars that should be on the same boat. Looks like 3rd week in July/ early August for us then if there's 2 weeks after Emden arrival to customer pick-up.
jbGTI
New
Drives: GTI

Post by jbGTI »

Hi Chaps, posting from South Africa here.

Just some info as to why the possible delays for new orders of the new GTI. Went into a local dealership here and a sales person told me that the demand for the NON GTI Polos were so high, that the production of GTI was actually halted.

Here in South Africa, a custom build spec would take around 3 months until delivery. Whats happening mostly is that Dealerships are usually getting like 1 or 2 GTI's per month, of which these are randomly specced. So usually waiting about 4 to 6 weeks for a GTI that might not be your exact taste.
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Post by barrywi »

Lets hope they got mine built in time! I dont suppose you could pop down to the docks in Port Elizabeth to see if mine is still there...its red with sat nav ,standard wheels.....just kidding! From what you say even when the factory starts producing again GTIs will be scarce.
THEORETICALLY mine should on one of two ships heading to Emden, according to VW . The Galaxy Ace has just docked in Vigo to unload and the Green Ridge is hurtling along at about 18 mph off the coast of middle Africa. Should not be long before the first ship gets to Emden where I hope to find out if mine is being off loaded.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

jbGTI wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:40 pm Hi Chaps, posting from South Africa here.

Just some info as to why the possible delays for new orders of the new GTI. Went into a local dealership here and a sales person told me that the demand for the NON GTI Polos were so high, that the production of GTI was actually halted.
That’s one of the consequences of squeezing the production of two factories into one. The previous generation Polo was also built at the Pamplona factory in Spain. When the new Polo was launched, Pamplona plant production was shifted to Uitenhage in South Africa - presumably to streamline production and reduce costs. I’d be surprised if the Uitenhage factory is able to produce as many new Polos as the combined output of Pamplona and Uitenhage for the previous generation Polo. Assuming it can’t, then keeping up with customer demand was always going to be an issue from day one.

If demand continues to be high, then long waiting times may be more than a short / medium term issue, unless VW commit more resource and expenditure to increasing production in order to satisfy demand. Will that happen? ...............unlikely I’d say.
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

All in all a big fail .

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Well it is not a fail if you ordered one early as it will hopefully be rare and possibly hold its value better.
Poachersun
New
Drives: 2018 POLO GTI

Post by Poachersun »

Hey guys,

I see you are using an App to check status of your delivery. I am curious as to whether i can find out if it can work with my delivery to NZ, maybe i should get in contact with VW NZ? :) I would love to track it haha.

Probably the longest i have ever had to wait for something (and one of the biggest purchases i have made, other than the house purchase which the bank owns!)
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

If you have an order number, just download the App and enter it into the system . I would guess the order numbers are universal. It will not work without that number.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Poachersun wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:03 am Hey guys,

I see you are using an App to check status of your delivery. I am curious as to whether i can find out if it can work with my delivery to NZ, maybe i should get in contact with VW NZ? :) I would love to track it haha.

Probably the longest i have ever had to wait for something (and one of the biggest purchases i have made, other than the house purchase which the bank owns!)
If it does work for NZ, be aware of its limitations. It’s slow to update, often gets the confirmed build week wrong and misses out stages in the build process (often jumps from stage 3 to stage 5). Some people have taken delivery of their cars and the tracker is still on stage 5 of 7. No information is as good as poor / inaccurate information.

IMO it’s better to speak to VW Customer Services for updates on build progress. They should have the most up to date information, although the accuracy of their information can be a bit hit and miss at times.
Troyj369
New
Drives: Polo gti

Post by Troyj369 »

Does anyone actually knows what’s going on I order my Gti in April and the vw tracking up just says ‘with the factory’ and my retailer aren’t telling me anything I was told September it would be ready but last chat I had with the retailer they couldn’t even give me a month
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Good luck with finding out!
The factory is shut for July and August and there are various stories going around about what is going on. One South African man was told by his dealer that the factory is going to concentrate on non GTI models when it re opens. If you have an order number the app will tell you when the car is being built. The next stage is in transit. So the car takes about a week to build, then it has to be transported to the dock at Port Elizabeth, mine took a week. Then it has to wait for a ship ,say another week. It takes two weeks to get to Emden in Germany stopping at Vigo in Spain and Zeebrugge in Belgium to drop off cars. A check at Emden plus a day to ship to the UK plus the time it takes from the dock to the dealer ,plus pdi there. I reckon six weeks from start of build to the dealer assuming no hold ups.
So my guesstimate ,if they have not yet built it ,would be mid October , VW are hopeless at keeping customers up to date.
One option is to ring round dealers to see if any have one ordered and go for that if it has the right spec.
All I can find out about my car is that it has been built and is in transit on one of two ships. My order was put in on Feb 10 th and it was built by June 8 th. Barring any complications it should be at the dealer by the end of July at the latest, but we will see!
Sorry I cannot be more positive for you.
Dan34
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+

Post by Dan34 »

Just been informed that my GTI+ is on the ship Grand Orion which is currently docked in Angola. Glad the car is finally on the move!
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Just contacted VW on the chat app. Last time they said our car was on the Galaxy Ace or Green Ridge ( definitely!)

They are now saying it is on the Grand Orion which is at Angola......who do I believe??
Time is now tight to get it registered before the 15 th August deadline if my maths is correct.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

barrywi wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:54 pm Just contacted VW on the chat app. Last time they said our car was on the Galaxy Ace or Green Ridge ( definitely!)

They are now saying it is on the Grand Orion which is at Angola......who do I believe??
Time is now tight to get it registered before the 15 th August deadline if my maths is correct.
Presumably the dealer can register a car without physically having the vehicle on their premises, provided they have whatever information they need for the registration process; e.g. VIN details, a registration number to allocate to the vehicle. I’d have thought there’d also be some form of fast track registration process.