New GTI + delivery

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Re: New GTI + delivery

Post by MilgeS »

[/quote]What coating have you had done?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
[/quote]

Hi, I've had a Carbon Collective detail, Oracle on the paint and Platinum Glass on the windows :)
Attachments
Screenshot_20180729-151842_Instagram.jpg
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

40mpg on the drive in this morning. Filled up at Costco as I was running on vapours. Turanzas performing better than expected - merest hint of tramp from a standstill with full throttle (oil was warm!). 3 small thumps over 3/4 of a second and then it's gone with traction control flashing up until you hit second. Considering they've done 60 miles, there may even be room for improvement as they scrub in. I think i'll be keeping them.

Hassled by a new shape Ibiza FRs on the way to work, but the GTI left it for dead off the sliproad and onto the motorway.

Chucked it around some bends and corners - handling is very sharp, possibly better than the Golf.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:56 am Turanzas performing better than expected - merest hint of tramp from a standstill with full throttle (oil was warm!). 3 small thumps over 3/4 of a second and then it's gone with traction control flashing up until you hit second. Considering they've done 60 miles, there may even be room for improvement as they scrub in. I think i'll be keeping them.
And by keeping them, you’re not risking expensive damage to your wheels by careless tyre fitters or poorly maintained tyre fitting equipment, which is always a fear of mine with diamond cut alloys.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

SRGTD wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:29 am
monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:56 am Turanzas performing better than expected - merest hint of tramp from a standstill with full throttle (oil was warm!). 3 small thumps over 3/4 of a second and then it's gone with traction control flashing up until you hit second. Considering they've done 60 miles, there may even be room for improvement as they scrub in. I think i'll be keeping them.
And by keeping them, you’re not risking expensive damage to your wheels by careless tyre fitters or poorly maintained tyre fitting equipment, which is always a fear of mine with diamond cut alloys.
I would've been going to Costco - they're very careful and agree condition of wheels via inspection with you before they set to work. I hate diamond cur wheels - they're a ticking timebomb for cosmetic corrosion. If they go outside warranty (or for a warranty void reason) or get scraped by the missus, i'll likely get them painted up a dark Silver. Never had a set yet which haven't corroded, and all within warranty.
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Post by barrywi »

Just seen a gti for sale at a dealers in Lincoln for £18000 and no vat form some reason. On ebay . Not a plus. Perhaps the dealer has to sell pretty quickly??
WillWord
Getting There!
Drives: SEL 1.00 TSI 115 DSG

Post by WillWord »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:15 pm Well after driving the car home and then having a little drive about tonight locally, I have a few more first impressions:-

My wipers are juddering on the upstroke and the downstroke (it has been raining quite lightly) - I appreciate that some people who've had theirs over the past week may not have encountered rain before today - are your wipers juddering too? First sweep after getting in the car was fine, because there was a fair bit of accumulated rain, after that, even setting the wipe interval to quite long, it still judders.

Not sure if the windscreen hasn't been properly decontaminated or if the wipers jst need to bed in, or whether they are crap (had similar issues with most of my Golfs and the wipers have been replaced under warranty after a dealership decontamination).

I have an SEL DSG 115, from new I have had juddering wipers on the up stroke, deconned windscreen with 0000 wire wool and Surfex HD degreaser, also VW changed the wiper blade, it seems it needs a mechanical adjustment, car booked in next week.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Short trip to local supermarket, the missus drove for the first time( well technically it is HER car).
Left in Eco mode until more miles on the clock so quite impressive for a performance car and tight engine( 100 miles only)
image.jpeg
Robint
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 polo GTI

Post by Robint »

My wipers juddered I had to clean the screen a few times seems ok now after 3 washers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jylydesign
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+ on order

Post by jylydesign »

Was it down hill or were you pushing [emoji3], jokes apart that's impressive
barrywi wrote:Short trip to local supermarket, the missus drove for the first time( well technically it is HER car).
Left in Eco mode until more miles on the clock so quite impressive for a performance car and tight engine( 100 miles only)
image.jpeg
Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

MattB911
New
Drives: GTI

Post by MattB911 »

Does anybody know if the rear door handles have the LED lights in them like on the front door handles? Shouldn't be long until I get mine now, cannot wait and good to see people posting pictures of their cars on here 👍
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

More observations for today:-

36mpg home, with the aircon on (it wasn't on this morning - maybe that's the difference? It was a congestion free drive home, but slower through some of the journey), barely better than my Golf R. The Polo GTI seems less economical than the R at lower speeds, GTI sitting in 4th at 30-40mph, R sitting in 5th over same range. but at motorway speeds the Polo's high gearing easily beats it. The Polo actually seems more economical at 80mph in 6th than 40mph in 4th - like a Diesel!

Haven't tried eco. Apart from the freewheeling function that will make tiny gains, Eco seems no more economical, just dulls the throttle response so you press harder to achieve the same reaction.

When you lock the car on exiting it, with the lock button on the keyfob, the key's range is drastically reduced (a good thing for security). Without manually locking the doors, I had to walk about 80 yards away before the car locked itself. When pressing the key to lock, you have to be right by the car with the key and put your hand on the door handle to open again. Leave the key a mere 5 yards away and try to open by the door handle, and the door won't open. So if you blip it locked, you have no worries about the key being in your house, and the car potentially having not locked itself because it is in range of the key.

Trying to brake effectively at low speeds and then feathering the brake when coming to a stop, to prevent the stop/start kicking in (like at a roundabout) is a bit of an art that I haven't quite mastered 100% of the time.

Surprisingly, I don't hate the DSG, but knowing that there wasn't a manual option has probably helped on that score. It'll never know what I want to do all of the time (a manual always does what you want it to do), but it hasn't done anything truly daft yet (my Dad's Golf GTD DSG is forever doing the unexpected, it would infuriate me, but he doesn't mind.

I have been putting my foot down a few times when the oil is warm - i'm not a believer in babying a new engine on run-in - did it once with one of my 8 VWs I've had from new and was rewarded with high oil and fuel consumption (bores glazed/poor piston ring sealing most likely causes). You really can't abuse these cars on run in now because of the programming on run-in - revs peak at 5500rpm on run in (1000rpm below red line), limited output until it hits 620 miles/1000km, and even when run in, output is limited until the oil temp hits 50°C. Any guidance by VW to take it easy on run-in is likely related to brakes and tyres bedding in.

As mentioned in another thread, I did detail the exterior (not as thorough as a £300 job with clay bars etc.), and there was no iron fallout to treat and remove - might be worth skipping that stage if you'll be doing it soon.

Discovered that the passenger seat has a "drawer" for storage under the base, more of an open plastic box bolted to the frame, and a likely source of rattles if utilised. Will have to see tomorrow if it accommodates the handbook wallet.

Will be getting some rubber mats tomorrow, they wear better than the carpet ones.
peeceeuk
Bronze Member
Drives: Snazzy red GTi

Post by peeceeuk »

Nobody seems to have mentioned this yet, but how is the stereo and sound system?

I am not interested in super loud but more questioning the quality and clarity.

I currently have a 2015 Polo little ting and the stereo is really nice and fairly clean, is there any improvement in audio equipment since 2015?.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

@monkeyhanger; I’d expect the fuel consumption to improve as you clock up more miles and the engine loosens up. Fuel consumption in my 2016 GTI is probably a good 10-15% better now than it was when the car was new and the engine was tight.

Interesting to hear your views on the DSG transmission. I’ve always had cars with manual gearboxes in 40+ years of driving. Even if VW do make the GTI with a manual gearbox option in the next 12-18 months, I’m quite tempted to go for the DSG - no clutch work, which when you’ve got a dodgy back can be quite painful at times, especially in stop start traffic.

I’ve got a set of VW rubber mats in the front of my car. I didn’t bother with the rears as I rarely carry rear seat passengers. I find VW’s carpet mats aren’t that durable or hard wearing, and the rubber ones are easy to keep clean and much better for winter use IMO.

Keep the updates coming. Real life ownership experiences from forum members are really useful for would-be / prospective buyers 👍.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Regarding the dsg. I have a 2007 Jaguar XJ which has an old fashioned slushpump auto 6 speed gearbox with no flappy paddles and a simple sport option.
I have only driven the Gti for a hundred miles so far but prefer the dsg and there is no way I would want a manual gearbox on the gti. The traffic levels these days almost make the auto an essential and the theoretical 0-60 advantage of a manual is irrelevant unless you like living with old technology. Would you like the gti better with non powered steering, I do not think so.
The engine stop start takes getting used to but so far it has not caused any problems. The different modes of the gearbox helps pass the time on a journey , it being so easy to switch. Personally I think the freewheel function in Eco mode will actually make a difference in mpg , like it did on our previous manual car where we used freewheel a lot. Nobody buys a gti for maximum mpg I know but also not many drivers push the car to its limits all the time as you just end up stuck behind the next car ahead after overtaking. You can leave the car in Eco and paddle shift down for enough acceleration to cope with most situations.
If you can find an empty road with no speed cameras or you are on a track then fine , stick the car into " maximum attack" mode and have fun, unless of course you live in Wales where the police are very anti speeding.
Has anyone found instructions on paper for the sat nav yet? I find it very annoying that probably the most complex to operate part of the car has no manual . Audi print one, so why not VW?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

peeceeuk wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:30 pm Nobody seems to have mentioned this yet, but how is the stereo and sound system?

I am not interested in super loud but more questioning the quality and clarity.

I currently have a 2015 Polo little ting and the stereo is really nice and fairly clean, is there any improvement in audio equipment since 2015?.
It's very good for a standard equipment, and I certainly wouldn't pay out for something better. Some people on the Golf forums swear by paying more for Dynaudio and the like, but in a car which has so many environmental noises going on, will you truly appreciate the difference unless you are turning the volume up to 11 and benefit from (presumed) better speakers that handle 11 better because they're not operating at their limits?