New GTI + delivery

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
phillos
Bronze Member
Drives: '19 Polo (AW)

Re: New GTI + delivery

Post by phillos »

Seeing all these posts I feel both extremely lucky and also a bit sorry for everyone that has to wait so long for their car. I ordered mine beginning of March 2019 and have a planned delivery of the first week of July 2019. (week 28) :mrgreen: 4.5months give or take. Can't complain I guess.
gonk1959
Bronze Member
Drives: 2016 Gti polo

Post by gonk1959 »

:lol: :lol: peeceeuk.
Your wife be happy about that then...using her car to protect your own...I think if you take precautions as mentioned. keys in a metal tin and not left down stairs? Maybe steering wheel lock ? Big heavy duty FK off bright yellow one like the one I have, may be enough to put off a would be thief ?? I recon a shiny new GTi plus might be a tempting target sat in a drive? Thats why I done what I done on my current 2016 Gti
Dreamscape
New
Drives: 6AW

Post by Dreamscape »

phillos wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:35 am Seeing all these posts I feel both extremely lucky and also a bit sorry for everyone that has to wait so long for their car. I ordered mine beginning of March 2019 and have a planned delivery of the first week of July 2019. (week 28) :mrgreen: 4.5months give or take. Can't complain I guess.
Planned delivery date doesn't mean much. My Polo was supposed to be delivered by the end of 2018, I got it last week.
Nora
Bronze Member
Drives: A polo

Post by Nora »

Griff74 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:41 am
johnpolo2 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:18 am Definitely purchasing a couple of faraday pouches when mine eventually arrives. Reading today in the financial press that some insurers are refusing to pay out if items are stolen from a vehicle with keyless entry. They are citing the fact that no violence or force was used to gain access to the car. With a GTI on the drive they are likely to take the whole thing. Insurers are being urged to update their policies in line with the new tech.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk
I'm just going to disable it by telling the car it doesn't have the modules installed with OBDEleven.
Why not consider installing an “autowatch Ghost”
Then ensure you have sufficient GAP insurance to cover the financial loss should it get stolen.
I’m not sure if OBDEleven can disable the keyless entry, you may need to get someone with VCDC/VAGcom to do it
Nora
Bronze Member
Drives: A polo

Post by Nora »

gonk1959 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:55 am I watched a program about 4 months ago about car theft from driveways etc. These scumbags use these boxes now that talk to the car key and open the car. I now keep my keys in a tin in my bedroom. The tin acts as a Faraday cage. I also have a heavy duty FK off steering wheel lock brace. That program opened my eyes about remote locking keys always being active. I heard about new gen of keys that have motion sensors built into them now. the key goes to sleep and can only be woken if its picked up. :D
The usual modus operandi is for them to break into your home and ransack the house until they find the keys, or if the house is occupied threaten the occupants with violence so they can get the keys, and if you have a wife and kids in the home do you really want them beating up your family or ransacking you home just so they don’t get your car? The advice from the police is to leave the keys on the 3rd or 4th step of your staircase so that they can find the keys and leave you safe.
The only advanced keyless system I’m aware of is used by jaguar car.
Griff74
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTi+ in Reef blue

Post by Griff74 »

Nora wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:59 am
Griff74 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:41 am
johnpolo2 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:18 am Definitely purchasing a couple of faraday pouches when mine eventually arrives. Reading today in the financial press that some insurers are refusing to pay out if items are stolen from a vehicle with keyless entry. They are citing the fact that no violence or force was used to gain access to the car. With a GTI on the drive they are likely to take the whole thing. Insurers are being urged to update their policies in line with the new tech.

I'm just going to disable it by telling the car it doesn't have the modules installed with OBDEleven.
Why not consider installing an “autowatch Ghost”
Then ensure you have sufficient GAP insurance to cover the financial loss should it get stolen.
I’m not sure if OBDEleven can disable the keyless entry, you may need to get someone with VCDC/VAGcom to do it
You can, I saw how to on the OBDEleven forum, you are just disabling 2 modules.
I have GAP insurance, that isn't my worry and I don't wan't an extra immobiliser, I just want to unlock my car with the fob , get in press the start button and go, like I do with our i3. TBH I mostly want to disable it because it is pointless, the fact you can't just walk away from the car and it lock is silly.
Last edited by Griff74 on Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Or get the Magnavolt system as featured in Robocop 2 (if only).
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Nora wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:08 am The usual modus operandi is for them to break into your home and ransack the house until they find the keys, or if the house is occupied threaten the occupants with violence so they can get the keys, and if you have a wife and kids in the home do you really want them beating up your family or ransacking you home just so they don’t get your car? The advice from the police is to leave the keys on the 3rd or 4th step of your staircase so that they can find the keys and leave you safe.
Yup, more people + more measures = more desperate criminals.
gonk1959
Bronze Member

Post by gonk1959 »

Nora wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:08 am
gonk1959 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:55 am I watched a program about 4 months ago about car theft from driveways etc. These scumbags use these boxes now that talk to the car key and open the car. I now keep my keys in a tin in my bedroom. The tin acts as a Faraday cage. I also have a heavy duty FK off steering wheel lock brace. That program opened my eyes about remote locking keys always being active. I heard about new gen of keys that have motion sensors built into them now. the key goes to sleep and can only be woken if its picked up. :D
The usual modus operandi is for them to break into your home and ransack the house until they find the keys, or if the house is occupied threaten the occupants with violence so they can get the keys, and if you have a wife and kids in the home do you really want them beating up your family or ransacking you home just so they don’t get your car? The advice from the police is to leave the keys on the 3rd or 4th step of your staircase so that they can find the keys and leave you safe.
Hi Nora
I live alone and they could come and sneak into my bedroom..im a very light sleeper. I would never make it easy for them. Let em try taking my keys and they get there head polished with the baseball bat I sleep with. This is why I have keys in my bedroom. It be rude not to come say hello before you try steal my car.
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

Someone mentioned something about pushing the door handle in on the GTI which stops the car 'listening' for the key. Not sure if that's enough of a security measure to put people at ease though.
gnome
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI Plus

Post by gnome »

S_94 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:10 pm Someone mentioned something about pushing the door handle in on the GTI which stops the car 'listening' for the key. Not sure if that's enough of a security measure to put people at ease though.
This is the route I'll be taking, it should stop the keyless entry on the doors. Has to be done every time you lock the car though.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

gnome wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:19 pm
S_94 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:10 pm Someone mentioned something about pushing the door handle in on the GTI which stops the car 'listening' for the key. Not sure if that's enough of a security measure to put people at ease though.
This is the route I'll be taking, it should stop the keyless entry on the doors. Has to be done every time you lock the car though.
Keyless wasn’t available on my 2016 GTI but I check the door handle after I’ve locked the car to make sure it’s locked; locking the GTI+ using the key fob to deactivate keyless locking and then touching the sensor on the door handle doesn’t take any more effort.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

gonk1959 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:55 am Hi Nora
I live alone and they could come and sneak into my bedroom..im a very light sleeper. I would never make it easy for them. Let em try taking my keys and they get there head polished with the baseball bat I sleep with. This is why I have keys in my bedroom. It be rude not to come say hello before you try steal my car.
It's a car, why do you have this overwhelming desire to protect it at all costs?
What if the guy is harder/better at fighting than you?
What if you kill him, the police decide it was completely unreasonable force, you do time and you don't get to drive the car you've over-protected?
gonk1959
Bronze Member

Post by gonk1959 »

Andy Beats wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:02 pm
gonk1959 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:55 am Hi Nora
It's a car, why do you have this overwhelming desire to protect it at all costs?
What if the guy is harder/better at fighting than you?
What if you kill him, the police decide it was completely unreasonable force, you do time and you don't get to drive the car you've over-protected?
AndyBeats
I don't have an overwhelming desire to protect my car, no more than anything else in my property. Its a simple case of some w**k breaking into my home and me putting him out. If I am attacked or believe to be in danger of attack? then I would fight back to protect myself and do whatever I need to do to stop them harming me. Its called self defense. What is reasonable force? So the guy is coming at you with a knife with intent to stab you with it and quite possibly kill you in doing so. So I hit him with my baseball bat...its a natural and reasonable reaction I would have thought for anyone who feels their life threatened.
Besides....I waited a long time for this car and not going to roll over and just throw them the keys. Ok id take a different approach if I had family to think about. Anyway that's the last I will say on the matter. I'm not getting into a debate here about "A man and his castle and how he would protect it"
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

gonk1959 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:01 pm AndyBeats
I don't have an overwhelming desire to protect my car, no more than anything else in my property. Its a simple case of some w**k breaking into my home and me putting him out. If I am attacked or believe to be in danger of attack? then I would fight back to protect myself and do whatever I need to do to stop them harming me. Its called self defense. What is reasonable force? So the guy is coming at you with a knife with intent to stab you with it and quite possibly kill you in doing so. So I hit him with my baseball bat...its a natural and reasonable reaction I would have thought for anyone who feels their life threatened.
Besides....I waited a long time for this car and not going to roll over and just throw them the keys. Ok id take a different approach if I had family to think about. Anyway that's the last I will say on the matter. I'm not getting into a debate here about "A man and his castle and how he would protect it"
Self-defense isn't the scenario you painted earlier.
You painted the picture of being the aggressor, you making the 'first move' to violence.
Fools rush in, as they say.