New GTI + delivery

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Re: New GTI + delivery

Post by barrywi »

Forgot to say that we are loving the car , it seems very quick to me !
Nora
Bronze Member
Drives: A polo

Post by Nora »

barrywi wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:58 am So in my ‘ umble opinion I would not bother with expensive detailing , a wax every so often is perfectly adequate, and as I say the car looks as it did when new( photo attached) .
Each to their own.
The cost of the detailing that is being done to mine is around 3.5% of the cost of the car, so is insignificant IMO.
Tbh I’m a fan of fusso soft 99 waxes https://www.nipponshine.com/ having used king of gloss and fusso 12 months coat for its hydrophobic beading effect. (koG over fusso)
For the exterior windscreen glass I like to use Angelwax H2go https://angelwax.co.uk/product/h2go-the ... repellent/ to make the water bead off. I found it slightly better than rainex. I can also recommend nilco “nilglass” cleaner for streak free windows and as it’s around £4 a 1ltr bottle from B&Q, scotchguard or its equivalent for fabric protection (seats carpets etc) I found cheapest at screwfix.
Bilt Hamber “korrosol” https://www.bilthamber.com/korrosol is my go to iron fallout remover that I use on the rims and wheel arches during my wash routine.
If you can find any Autosmart products, “Tardis” (it’s not sold online) this will deal with any tar spots on the paint and clean the exhaust tips. A few other Autosmart products I have are interior dressing for the dashboard etc and trim wizard which I use to restore the faded exterior plastics (black bumpers and trims), and dress the engine bay. If you want to make cleaning the wheels easier look for some “wheel woolies” these will enable you to reach the inside of the wheel drum and calipers.
A few different soft round boars hair brushes will get into those tricky nucks & crannies such as badges, grills, door handles etc when washing the car
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Nora:

You're in the extreme minority, going to those lengths to maintain your car's bodywork.

Most people will baulk at spending £800 after shelling out for the car itself.

Yours will undoubtedly be looking its best if you're prepared to spend the best part of half a day once a month to maintain that finish, in addition to the weekly washes.

You can get 95% perfect for a fraction of the cost and time of 100% perfect, and that'll be good enough for most. It's scary how much you can spend on products to chase the perfect finish on the car.

Personally, I wouldn't consider spending £800 to £1200 for a detailer to do their stuff on a £23k car and maybe £400 a year thereafter.

For most, spending £80 -£100 on a few good products that you can apply yourself will be enough to complement a weekly/fortnightly wash.

When the wife's car comes, it'll get an IronX type deconram, but based on what came off the first GTI+, the bodywork is pretty much free of embedded iron.

It'll get a thorough wash, a quick buzz over with a machine polisher and polish if the dealer gave it some swirls, and 2 coats of C2V3 sealant. Glass clean and treatment everywhere but the windscreen.

That all feels like bordering on extreme to me, but considerably cheaper than paying a detailer a king's ransom.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

I’ve a dual action (DA) polishing machine and I give my car a full decontamination and machine polish at 18-24 month intervals if it needs it, and I can probably get it 85%-90% blemish free. I wash it every 7-14 days with a careful wash technique (pre-rinse and snowfoam, 2 or 3 bucket method with lambs wool mitt, dried with warm air blower and microfibre drying towels) to keep the swirls at bay, and apply a couple of layers of wax or sealant every six months to keep it protected from the elements.

Each to their own, but I’d be a bit reluctant to spend £800+ on a new car detail. I’d rather spend around £100 on a DA polishing machine which lasts for many years and learn to do my own detailing (I did!). My DA has paid for itself many times over, and I get the satisfaction of having taught myself and to see the results of my efforts.

The DA is also good at spot polishing out small paintwork blemishes that happen periodically, such as the effects of bird poo and certain types of ‘juicy’ insects when the acidic nature of these droppings can etch into the car’s clear coat and it’s not always possible to deal with them as soon as they happen. For a detailer to wash a car and spot polish out these defects in the clear coat (if they even undertake small jobs like localised spot polishing) they’d probably charge more than I paid for my DA polisher. I can correct these defects if and when they happen pretty much for free.

I think the best way to keep your your car looking good is to avoid the many £5 car hand washing outfits, never let the VW dealer wash your car when it’s in the garage for servicing or repairs, ditch the sponge and chamois leather and adopt a safe 2 bucket wash method.

Lots of useful information on keeping your car looking good, including ‘how to’ guides over on the Detailing World forum.
peeceeuk
Bronze Member
Drives: Snazzy red GTi

Post by peeceeuk »

Some useful and varied stuff. Thanks.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

My VW UP looked the same ( apart from a couple of supermarket trolley small dents) after nearly four years of ownership being kept outside, no detailing , a few polishes and a wash every couple of weeks.
If I had spent an arm and a leg( 3.5% of vehicle cost) on detailing I would get really annoyed when it would get dirty the next day. I love clean cars but there is a limit to what extent I would go for that just left the showroom look.
I hate black cars because they are now so common and show the dirt five minutes after cleaning. Our red car is a good compromise colour which looks great even when slightly dirty.
The expense of constant polishing will not make the car worth any more when you trade in either. They just check the mileage ,tyre wear and look for obvious dents.
Waiting for annoyed responses from you detailing fanatics out there! :D
fazzy
Bronze Member
Drives: GTi++/TT/TDi/190E

Post by fazzy »

The ship "Brooklands" has offloaded some cars in Emden, so if somebodys car was on Brooklands, it's now on it's way to you :)
I know mine was on Brooklands... So I guess another 2 weeks before I pick it up....
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

barrywi wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 1:02 pm My VW UP looked the same ( apart from a couple of supermarket trolley small dents) after nearly four years of ownership being kept outside, no detailing , a few polishes and a wash every couple of weeks.
If I had spent an arm and a leg( 3.5% of vehicle cost) on detailing I would get really annoyed when it would get dirty the next day. I love clean cars but there is a limit to what extent I would go for that just left the showroom look.
I hate black cars because they are now so common and show the dirt five minutes after cleaning. Our red car is a good compromise colour which looks great even when slightly dirty.
The expense of constant polishing will not make the car worth any more when you trade in either. They just check the mileage ,tyre wear and look for obvious dents.
Waiting for annoyed responses from you detailing fanatics out there! :D
I used to be into detailing, spending hours on cars every Sunday.
I just don't have the time/inclination now.
I still (mostly) wash them by hand using two buckets, but I'm not averse to an automatic carwash if they use those soft foam rollers that are popular now (not the hard nylon 'fishing line' of old).
Polishing is rare, I mostly just spray them with Gtechniq C2V3, it gives enough shine for me.
I agree with you that in terms of monetary reward detailing is utterly futile and anyone thinking otherwise is delusional, but many just enjoy the process....which is fair enough I suppose.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Wish I could get someone to detail my body!!
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

I do enjoy seeing the rain globulate on the cars bodywork after polishing I admit but no matter what polish you use it still leaves marks when the rain dries on the paint.
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

Word of the day 'globulate'.
I enjoy cleaning my car, I find it a stress buster, a bit like gardening.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Gardening is a problem for a 72 year old like me , it is all the bending down, digging and shifting stuff. However I do have several large lawns so I do enjoy mowing, mainly due to having a ride on mower. I can sort out all my thoughts chugging along in the sunshine.
Yes I love the word globulation , very descriptive.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

All the paperwork coming through from the dealership for GTI+ No2. I have my reg and chassis number for the correct keeper info.

Oddly, I have to sign an agreement with VWFS for the £199 service pack, even though I'm paying the dealership directly for it (they must pay the dealership when I use one of the services).

Nice to know the DVLA don't know their arse from their elbow:

Sold my Golf R 3 weeks ago, 2 days later they acknowledge, stating that I'm no longer responsible for the car, 2 days after that I get £16 refund for unused car tax.

Last night I get a DVLA letter reminding me to buy my £200 car tax before the end of the month!
peeceeuk
Bronze Member
Drives: Snazzy red GTi

Post by peeceeuk »

Dealer called me and has been in touch with someone somewhere to get mine prioritised for transportation from Sheerness.
Expected arrival to dealer is no later than 16th May.

@monkeyhanger - how on earth have you got documents and registration already?
gnome
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI Plus

Post by gnome »

Yeah MonkeyHanger that’s bloody quick, my dealer is saying the car is in the country, arrived Saturday - they have no idea when it’ll get to dealership 🙄 It’s 40 miles from the Tyne where the car is being kept, I’d have expected it to be fairly quick delivery.