New GTI + delivery

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: New GTI + delivery

Post by monkeyhanger »

SRGTD wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:33 pm @monkeyhanger; I’d expect the fuel consumption to improve as you clock up more miles and the engine loosens up. Fuel consumption in my 2016 GTI is probably a good 10-15% better now than it was when the car was new and the engine was tight.

Interesting to hear your views on the DSG transmission. I’ve always had cars with manual gearboxes in 40+ years of driving. Even if VW do make the GTI with a manual gearbox option in the next 12-18 months, I’m quite tempted to go for the DSG - no clutch work, which when you’ve got a dodgy back can be quite painful at times, especially in stop start traffic.

I’ve got a set of VW rubber mats in the front of my car. I didn’t bother with the rears as I rarely carry rear seat passengers. I find VW’s carpet mats aren’t that durable or hard wearing, and the rubber ones are easy to keep clean and much better for winter use IMO.

Keep the updates coming. Real life ownership experiences from forum members are really useful for would-be / prospective buyers 👍.
It probably will loosen a noticeable (but not huge) amount, but considering it's Summer, I was hoping for a fairly easy 40mpg straight out of the box on my commute (as I can ger an easy 33mpg on the R, which admittedly is fully run in). It's probably about right because with same driving style, manual variant beats DSG for mpg by about 10%, despite what the official figures say.

I'd still prefer a manual, it's better IMO) for everything but city traffic crawling. The DSG is highly convenient, but i'd rather milk 3rd to 70mph and then slot into 6th for a 30-70mph sliproad onto motorway situation (the DSG goes up sequentially through the gears). I do accelerate quite hard to get to my desired speed, but once i'm there, I do preserve my momentum well by reading the road ahead and allowing the car to slow itself down rather than shooting towards static/slowing traffic or a roundabout. 3 seconds of hard acceleration and then minimal input to naintain speed is more economical that 10 seconds of moderate acceleration to get to the same end point for most cars.

Still don't hate the DSG but prefering manual is a choice rather than refusing to accept the progress of technology.

Still not convinced we'll see a manual Polo GTI.

Oh, and 39mpg for this morning. Will definitely give RON99 fuel a go soon to see if a difference can be seen in mpg or felt in performance. If I get an extra 2mpg with it then the 6p a litre difference has paid for itself.
Last edited by monkeyhanger on Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:41 am
peeceeuk wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:30 pm Nobody seems to have mentioned this yet, but how is the stereo and sound system?

I am not interested in super loud but more questioning the quality and clarity.

I currently have a 2015 Polo little ting and the stereo is really nice and fairly clean, is there any improvement in audio equipment since 2015?.
It's very good for a standard equipment, and I certainly wouldn't pay out for something better. Some people on the Golf forums swear by paying more for Dynaudio and the like, but in a car which has so many environmental noises going on, will you truly appreciate the difference unless you are turning the volume up to 11 and benefit from (presumed) better speakers that handle 11 better because they're not operating at their limits?
I had Dynaudio in my previous car (Golf), specced it based on feedback from others on forums. I must admit I was a little disappointed with it - maybe because I don’t have the volume set at ear bleeding levels. I’m more than happy with the standard set up in my current Polo.

With the Beats system in the UK Polo (Beats model) or, in those other markets where it’s available as an option, you forgo the spare wheel if you have the Beats audio system, because of the different configuration of the boot underfloor area. I’d rather have a spare wheel than the ‘emergency inflation kit’.
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Post by barrywi »

I am a hifi/ home cinema anorak and I find the sound system more than adequate. You have the normal front / rear / balance controls plus bass, mid range, and treble adjustments to finesse the sound. Unless you wanted "annoy the neighbours " volume it is very good. I can bluetooth my cd collection( remember those? ) or cable to usb and am just putting the music onto a chip to leave in the car so the phone is not needed. There is even a single cd player if you need it.
peeceeuk
Bronze Member
Drives: Snazzy red GTi

Post by peeceeuk »

Thanks for the feedback regarding the stereo.
I find the standard setup in my 2015 Polo perfectly adequate.
So by the sound of it, I can expect pretty much the same.
I stream Spotify over b/tooth currently and look forward to having the cable connection for the Android Play compatibility so I can access the application via the touchscreen.
At present, I just have to start something playing and that is it until I stop again because I am a firm believer in not handling my phone while driving.

@monkeyhanger - The pictures of your car look great. It is the same choice that I have made other than the wheel selection, I stuck with the 17".
Cannot wait to have one of those on my driveway.

Keyless - I park my car on the driveway which is at the side of the house. Through the wall right next to the car is my hall where there is a cabinet that we store our keys in, what is the likelihood that this will be within range to trigger the keyless entry?
Do you have to have the key right up near the car? What is the range / strength of the system to the key?
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Have you ever thought, "I'll leave my keys in the hall and go out to the car and see if I can open it, with the keys still in the hall ???" :)

Am I stating the obvious here?
MattHGR
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI+

Post by MattHGR »

Further to peeceeuk, could someone explain the keyless system a little more. Every manufacturer works differently.
Do you have to press a button on the door to lock it or just walk away from the car?
When arriving at the car does it unlock straight away or after you touch the door handle?
Thanks
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

For short distances to open the car walk up to it and grab the handle. The locks come off then.( assuming you have the key fob!)
Walking away from the car you can just touch a small area on the outside of either driver or passenger handle and the car locks. Ithink it was posted here that you have to walk quite a long distance away from the car for it to lock automatically. Not tried that yet.
Car locks when you get on the move.
Of course you can always use the blipper to lock and unlock
MattHGR
Bronze Member

Post by MattHGR »

Thanks Barry.
Would you mind seeing if it locks when you walk away ? If it doesn't lock by about 15 ft away, I doubt it will. Keyless doesn't stretch that far. Maybe it auto locks when the car has been off for a couple of minutes ?
peeceeuk
Bronze Member

Post by peeceeuk »

silverhairs wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:14 pm Have you ever thought, "I'll leave my keys in the hall and go out to the car and see if I can open it, with the keys still in the hall ???" :)

Not having the car yet, I cannot.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

peeceeuk wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:32 pm
silverhairs wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:14 pm Have you ever thought, "I'll leave my keys in the hall and go out to the car and see if I can open it, with the keys still in the hall ???" :)

Well there you go, once you get your Polo, give it a try :roll:
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

MattHGR wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:26 pm Thanks Barry.
Would you mind seeing if it locks when you walk away ? If it doesn't lock by about 15 ft away, I doubt it will. Keyless doesn't stretch that far. Maybe it auto locks when the car has been off for a couple of minutes ?
Just for you Matt, and this will cost you... I went out in the deluge of rain, unlocked the car and walked miles, well about 30 metres round the back of our stone cottage and when I returned, soaking wet the car had not locked. Please note I took both key fobs with me in case the second one had an effect.
With the car locked and about 5 metres away from the keys in our stone walled cottage, I went out again, got soaked, without any keys and the car would not open by touching the handle.
My invoice is in the post. :D
Not checked the leaving the car unlocked for a long time to see if it eventually locks but I would doubt it. Now where is that towel?
peeceeuk
Bronze Member

Post by peeceeuk »

silverhairs wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:33 pm
peeceeuk wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:32 pm

Well there you go, once you get your Polo, give it a try :roll:
I just thought someone with the system may be able to advise what the range etc is.
MattHGR
Bronze Member

Post by MattHGR »

barrywi wrote:
MattHGR wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:26 pm Thanks Barry.
Just for you Matt, and this will cost you... I went out in the deluge of rain, unlocked the car and walked miles, well about 30 metres round the back of our stone cottage and when I returned, soaking wet the car had not locked. Please note I took both key fobs with me in case the second one had an effect.
With the car locked and about 5 metres away from the keys in our stone walled cottage, I went out again, got soaked, without any keys and the car would not open by touching the handle.
My invoice is in the post. :D
Not checked the leaving the car unlocked for a long time to see if it eventually locks but I would doubt it. Now where is that towel?
I owe you one !
Thanks Barry [emoji16]
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

No problem, I hope you do not have to wait too long, I know how you feel. I wanted to read the handbook on line before I got the car to familiarise myself but it was not available . VW were not very helpful re the progress of the order, especially about which ship it was on. I suppose I should regard myself as very sad , wanting to track the ship, but I was not alone!
Robint
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 polo GTI

Post by Robint »

We have all done the same mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk